class participation rant.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CremasterFlash

Born yesterday.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Though this advice is probably too late and not helpful, you really should've avoided this professor, as the deck is somewhat stacked against you in courses like that.

Ah the joys of getting professors that others try to avoid. I scored 2 this semester. I'm having a tough time, but I definently appreciate my other professors. :laugh:

AFTER this semester started, I learned about professor rating. My school has a ton of them on www.ratemyprofessors.com there are lots of these sites. Make use of them. I wouldn't skip a prof. over a low average on ease and such, but I would definently avoid one that had 30 ratings stating something like, "omg stay away or you will lose your financial aid". I know it doesn't help for now, but maybe it will help for the future.

Wish you the best of luck,
Liz

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah the joys of getting professors that others try to avoid. I scored 2 this semester. I'm having a tough time, but I definently appreciate my other professors. :laugh:

AFTER this semester started, I learned about professor rating. My school has a ton of them on www.ratemyprofessors.com there are lots of these sites. Make use of them. I wouldn't skip a prof. over a low average on ease and such, but I would definently avoid one that had 30 ratings stating something like, "omg stay away or you will lose your financial aid". I know it doesn't help for now, but maybe it will help for the future.

Wish you the best of luck,
Liz
Yeah, I was going to mention sites like www.pickaprof.com, but inevitably someone will post that those sites are overly capricious and harsh. However, I mostly ignored the written feedback. I just based my decisions based upon the GPA averages of the different professors for that course and the distributions of grades for the different professors for that course (They had that data from my school.) Because I was confident in my ability to actually learn the material, I just went with the Profs with the highest average GPA for the course. There was really no reason to do otherwise (I was lucky in that I managed to get into sections with those professors, sometimes after sitting by my computer repeatedly hitting F5 during registration to see the moment someone dropped the class so that I could snag it.)

I am a fan of ratemyprofessor.com.

You can tell the slacker students by their reviews, I do not avoid a challenging professo if he or she is fair and offers help during office hours. I have had a couple of bad apples and do not want any more experience with feral tenured professors.

I I have had a couple of bad apples and do not want any more experience with feral tenured professors.

Amen Empi. :smuggrin: