Classes for years 1, 2, 3 to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor123456789

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to be a freshman in university in a couple of days. And i really could use some help!

I tried talking to my Health Profession Counselor but he didn't seem too interested in me because he thought I wasn't being serious about going into med school because I'm a undeclared major right now. I told him that next quarter i'm switching into bio and that i didn't know what i was interested in when i made my application, but he thought that im not motivated. Anyway, what changed my mind was the anatomy class i took in 12th grade after the applications were in, but he didnt listen to me, now did he :rolleyes: He then told me i should take: chem, org chem, bio, molecular bio, cell bio, microbiology, biochem, physiology, anatomy, genetics, physics, calculus and nutrition to study for the MCAT. I then told him thankyou, and left on a good note so he won't treat me like crap next time.

Now I'm coming to the people that actually have taken the test/have prepared for the test, and i really need your help, so that i can plan what classes to take my first year and second year. Please help me out guys!

So right now im taking Chem, calc, and an elective or two. I'm on the quarter system, so there are 3 quarters in a school year. I'd really appreciate it if someone could make a guideline to go by to make my classes. The last day to register for classes is really really soon, and i was counting on him to help me, but he wouldnt even tell me what order to take the classes.
(I wanna knock out calc out the way first year)

I really don't know in what order to take my classes that is best for the MCAT. and im trying to take the MCAT so that i graduate undergrad in 4 years and then go to Med school. Can someone please help me (and maybe even pop in when i would take the MCAT) and give me a guide like:

Year 1
Fall
Chem
Calc

Winter
Chem
Calc
(anything else?)

Spring
Chem
Calc
(anything else?)

Year2
fall
winter
spring

Year 3
fall
winter
spring
Summer
MCAT?

I go to UC Davis if anyone has any specific help about the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Well make sure to take the prereqs 1 yr of Calc,Bio,Chem,O chem. Upper lvl Bio would probably help too.

Most people take the MCAT spring of their junior year if they want to matriculate to med school right after they graduate from undergrad. You will need to take a full year of the following, at minimum: gen chem, gen bio, physics, and organic chem. Other good choices are anatomy, physiology, biochem, and molecular or cell bio. I would strongly recommend physiology--if I could do it all again, I'd take that before the MCAT. Beyond those classes, any upper-divisions you take won't help all that much. What you really need to do is prepare for the MCAT itself and get to know the test.

However, I wouldn't worry about this for at least another two years! :) Take the required classes and a couple extra and you'll be fine. Enjoy your freshman year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people take the MCAT spring of their junior year if they want to matriculate to med school right after they graduate from undergrad. You will need to take a full year of the following, at minimum: gen chem, gen bio, physics, and organic chem. Other good choices are anatomy, physiology, biochem, and molecular or cell bio. I would strongly recommend physiology--if I could do it all again, I'd take that before the MCAT. Beyond those classes, any upper-divisions you take won't help all that much. What you really need to do is prepare for the MCAT itself and get to know the test.

However, I wouldn't worry about this for at least another two years! :) Take the required classes and a couple extra and you'll be fine. Enjoy your freshman year!

I just finished my first year and I am confused about this. How did you guys juggle taking the MCAT spring or junior year with a pretty intense course load (usually upper level classes + a pre req like physics). How did you end up studying for your finals in the end of the spring and the MCAT etc. It seems so ridiculous :laugh:.

I just finished my first year and I am confused about this. How did you guys juggle taking the MCAT spring or junior year with a pretty intense course load (usually upper level classes + a pre req like physics). How did you end up studying for your finals in the end of the spring and the MCAT etc. It seems so ridiculous :laugh:.

Well, I did a post-bacc because I majored in political science in college and didn't take any of the pre-reqs. I took classes for a year and a half, finished in December, and took the MCAT in April. But I think most people take a light course load in the spring of their junior year. Here's how I would personally schedule my classes if I were to do pre-med as an undergrad, knowing what I know now.

Freshman: Physics, gen bio
Sophomore: Gen chem, physiology
Sophomore summer: organic chem (yes, I would do this one over the summer, no doubt)
Junior fall: molecular biology, biochem
Junior spring: ALL FLUFF CLASSES
Senior: Also fluff classes!

Note that this schedule only works if you aren't majoring in something difficult like engineering or chemistry or physics, where you have to take awful courses all the time. I personally would recommend choosing an easier major if you're really serious about medical school or bust, but that's just me.