Classes to take !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urluvzaddicting

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know some good classes to take for Dental School instead of just the prerequisites?

Such as... human anatomy? What are others?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard taking classes that are similar to those taken in dental schools looks favorable... check the dental school curriculum and see if any of the topics interest you.

I was wondering the same thing when I was taking classes so I went to some dental school websites and a lot of them actually have a list of suggested electives... some I would recommend:

Anatomy
Cell Biology (helpful for the DAT)
Histology (they offer it online through Colorado State University)
Microbiology
Physiology
Genetics
Immunology
Health Science Terminology
Art Class

Members don't see this ad :)
Other than those classes? What other classes are good to take?

Other than those classes? What other classes are good to take?

Is that not enough? Have you taken all those classes?

From what current dental students have told me the class that most wish they would have taken is histology. Some say microbiology, but most say histology. Anatomy was also mentioned often. So, the big four:

Biochemistry
Histology
Anatomy
Microbiology

Toss neurology in there and you are all set...your big courses the first year tend to be anatomy, histology, biochem, physiology....make sure you take them. Now biochem tends to be a mix of biochem, genetics, molecular and micro...may want to take them too. Up to you, you can do more work before school and less in school or less before and more while in dental school.

I was wondering the same thing when I was taking classes so I went to some dental school websites and a lot of them actually have a list of suggested electives... some I would recommend:

Anatomy
Cell Biology (helpful for the DAT)
Histology (they offer it online through Colorado State University)
Microbiology
Physiology
Genetics
Immunology
Health Science Terminology
Art Class

why is cell bio such a good DAT class? i'm currently enrolled in it and it's so experimental based and deals with signalling pathways (like RAS, STAT/JAK), organelle transport, membrane structure, etc. i would've thought that would be too in depth for the DAT. are most other cell bio classes taught differently/have different content?

why is cell bio such a good DAT class? i'm currently enrolled in it and it's so experimental based and deals with signalling pathways (like RAS, STAT/JAK), organelle transport, membrane structure, etc. are most other cell bio classes taught differently/have different content?

i asked this a couple days ago and am genuinely curious. any comments?

Biochem, Biochem, Biochem. Ohh, and Biochem.

i'm pretty stoked about my head & neck anatomy class this spring. if i wasn't taking that, then i would re-take biochem as i didn't do as well as i wanted, or take micro. you can't go wrong with any of those listed above, either.

When I took the DAT I had a lot of questions about cell organelle function and cell characteristics. I thought cell biology helped for that, but all the review books for the DAT have that information anyways.

why is cell bio such a good DAT class? i'm currently enrolled in it and it's so experimental based and deals with signalling pathways (like RAS, STAT/JAK), organelle transport, membrane structure, etc. i would've thought that would be too in depth for the DAT. are most other cell bio classes taught differently/have different content?

I will just say one of the RC passages on DAT is about certain G-protein...