Classroom behavior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tozanzibarbymotorcar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is lots of chatter during several of my classes, especially when the professor is lecturing. I want to know if this is normal for medical school? It gets to the point that I can no longer understand what the professor is saying. Every time the students are told to keep it down, it only lasts for so long before they are talking during lecture again. It just seems disrespectful.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I see it a lot in my lecture hall.

I sit next to a girl in class that talks a lot during lecture. All I have to do is tell her I can't focus on the lecture and she quickly changes her tone. Yes I do it frequently but I honestly don't mind because I know she's a social person.

Usually she thinks she's being quieter than she really is. Most of the people you are referring to just think they are being quiet but they really aren't. They are paying tuition with loan money too and unless they are in required attendance then they want to learn too!

Don't go to class, problem solved! In all seriousness though it is dumb that a bunch of adults can't shut up while someone else is talking, I've seen what you're talking about and it is a little ridiculous. If class isn't mandatory then if you go assume everyone else is there to pay attention and they don't want to listen to you talking about how great your pumpkin spice latte is.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
with the video you can both wake up later and not have to deal with annoying people talking. AND you can pause and rewind when the professor trips over his words and says the wrong thing so you can realize what the actual right thing is (this has happened a few times already for me). Not to mention pausing to google if you don't know wtf is going on

a lecture that flies over your head while the professor shoots out a bunch of random facts you don't understand is the definition of a wasted hour in medschool

Reactions: 3 users
with the video you can both wake up later and not have to deal with annoying people talking. AND you can pause and rewind when the professor trips over his words and says the wrong thing so you can realize what the actual right thing is (this has happened a few times already for me). Not to mention pausing to google if you don't know wtf is going on

a lecture that flies over your head while the professor shoots out a bunch of random facts you don't understand is the definition of a wasted hour in medschool

Our lecture recording program is inconsistent so it's risky to miss class

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

Ours is too, i was all about watching from home until about the 2nd time our tech messed up. Our university just this year put in a new rule regarding online lectures and so we dont get them uploaded right away, just live and then recorded 48hrs after :/

Our university just this year put in a new rule regarding online lectures and so we dont get them uploaded right away, just live and then recorded 48hrs after :/

Why is it that schools insist on trying to make class mandatory? Ours does the same type of stuff and it is the one thing that drives me nuts. We are adult learners and if we don't want to go to class we shouldn't have to.

Reactions: 5 users
Why is it that schools insist on trying to make class mandatory? Ours does the same type of stuff and it is the one thing that drives me nuts. We are adult learners and if we don't want to go to class we shouldn't have to.

Not entirely sure word on the street at my school is its an equal opportunity thing and the university now requires all lectures to be closed captioned. It received quite a bit of backlash (rightfully so, many people factor required attendance into their med school decision) at my school when it first was put in place, but it was made pretty apparent there was no budging in the matter. Which i understand to a point.

But regardless so far this semester 60% percent of our lectures have been mandatory or worth clicker points so things wouldnt change much for us at this point.

Im starting to grow quite envious of those SDNers without required lectures, it's so much more time efficient.

I thought it was requested by lecturers. I understand its not fun to talk to an half empty room but that always irked me too.

Not entirely sure word on the street at my school is its an equal opportunity thing and the university now requires all lectures to be closed captioned. It received quite a bit of backlash (rightfully so, many people factor required attendance into their med school decision) at my school when it first was put in place, but it was made pretty apparent there was no budging in the matter. Which i understand to a point.

That was a big factor into my school choice. Then I realized the "clicker points", inconsistent lecture recording and sprinkled required classes throughout made it pointless to go skip class.

Reactions: 1 users
There is lots of chatter during several of my classes, especially when the professor is lecturing. I want to know if this is normal for medical school? It gets to the point that I can no longer understand what the professor is saying. Every time the students are told to keep it down, it only lasts for so long before they are talking during lecture again. It just seems disrespectful.

I am assuming you are a first year. As people wise up, the only thing you will hear in the lecture room is crickets.

I thought it was requested by lecturers. I understand its not fun to talk to an half empty room but that always irked me too.

Yeah I get it but it's just an old school way of thinking. What some profs fail to realize is that I may not be in class but I am watching their lectures over and over; pausing in between to google something, read in the book, or re listen to what they said. Sitting there in a classroom is great for me though if I am looking for some SDN time.

That was a big factor into my school choice. Then I realized the "clicker points", inconsistent lecture recording and sprinkled required classes throughout made it pointless to go skip class.

They better get that fixed, ours works very well and we haven't had anyone try and give us clicker quizzes yet so hopefully it stays that way. Our big problem is we have so many labs and things of that nature that I wouldn't even be able to sit down to study until mid to late afternoon if I went to class. It's 3 more hours I can spend on a topic I am weak on, or the previous days material. I started school being skeptical of the no class thing but now I'm a true believer.

This is one of the primary reasons I goto class this semester. I got tired of not knowing what the professor was pointing at. Its funny cause I saw a post claiming my school had 'every lecture recorded in crystal clear HD' a couple years ago before I went. I guess that person thought that anything better than 180 by 180 was HD. Or they were adcom.

This has been my experience as well, professors are always looking for ways around the non-mandatory attendance, and the deans are just fine with that. I have no problem if someone wants to incentivize attending class, but I don't appreciate at all the professors who try and penalize.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, this is a huge peeve of mine. I'm going to sound like an old curmudgeon here, but it makes no sense to me why someone can't simply text another person or stay home if their nail polish story is more important than respecting their professors and all of the students around them. Aside from this forum, I haven't vented about it, as I highly doubt my personal opinions are going to make much of a difference in terms of change. I just don't think some people seem to understand how loud whispering is in a quiet lecture hall. What seemed to help me was sitting in the very front, as less people seem to want to talk to the person next to them while directly in front of the instructor. But most of the time I now just watch online at home. I gave up haha.

This is one of the primary reasons I goto class this semester. I got tired of not knowing what the professor was pointing at. Its funny cause I saw a post claiming my school had 'every lecture recorded in crystal clear HD' a couple years ago before I went. I guess that person thought that anything better than 180 by 180 was HD. Or they were adcom.

This has been my experience as well, professors are always looking for ways around the non-mandatory attendance, and the deans are just fine with that. I have no problem if someone wants to incentivize attending class, but I don't appreciate at all the professors who try and penalize.

At my school, some of them have stopped recording their lectures and others put random quizzes. It amazes me to no end how low professors are willing to stoop to keep people in class, even though the policy states non-mandatory attendance.

Reactions: 2 users
At my school, some of them have stopped recording their lectures and others put random quizzes. It amazes me to no end how low professors are willing to stoop to keep people in class, even though the policy states non-mandatory attendance.
A few of our professors... actually just 1 now that I think about it... tried offering a bonus quiz to incentivize people to come. This was done exactly once with zero ****s given from anyone. Class attendance actually dropped.

Good lord, that would infuriate me. I always think my school is pretty average, and then I hear things like this and I immediately grow fonder of itl. They're uploading lectures within 30 minutes of them being live, and although some faculty have complained about poor attendance, nothing has changed since starting school. You go, you DO-school-that-accepted-me.

They better get that fixed, ours works very well and we haven't had anyone try and give us clicker quizzes yet so hopefully it stays that way. Our big problem is we have so many labs and things of that nature that I wouldn't even be able to sit down to study until mid to late afternoon if I went to class. It's 3 more hours I can spend on a topic I am weak on, or the previous days material. I started school being skeptical of the no class thing but now I'm a true believer.
Hasn't changed in two years since it began to malfunction. From time to time, sound recording will short circuit. Without that its pointless to look at the recording. IT cites that the issue is software related but DO council has tried multiple times to get it fixed.

Thank goodness for najeeb or I would probably fail.

Hasn't changed in two years since it began to malfunction. From time to time, sound recording will short circuit. Without that its pointless to look at the recording. IT cites that the issue is software related but DO council has tried multiple times to get it fixed.

Thank goodness for najeeb or I would probably fail.

I'd recommend Boards and Beyond. They cover all the topics really well, and if your profs go even more into depth (phds like to do that) then just supplement with class materials.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd recommend Boards and Beyond. They cover all the topics really well, and if your profs go even more into depth (phds like to do that) then just supplement with class materials.
It's crazy that this is where we are at now. Pay 50k/year in tuition to then have to spend money on a third party service to be able to "kill" the boards. The AMA has to make up it's mind, and quickly, we either keep going forward like this or put an end to this Step 1-100 bull****.

This isn't like undergrad, where it has no responsibility of getting you into medical school, this is all within the same system, for goodness sake.

Not entirely sure word on the street at my school is its an equal opportunity thing and the university now requires all lectures to be closed captioned. It received quite a bit of backlash (rightfully so, many people factor required attendance into their med school decision) at my school when it first was put in place, but it was made pretty apparent there was no budging in the matter. Which i understand to a point.But regardless so far this semester 60% percent of our lectures have been mandatory or worth clicker points so things wouldnt change much for us at this point.
Im starting to grow quite envious of those SDNers without required lectures, it's so much more time efficient. Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

To be fair, if you aren't gunning for those three points, the only required stuff right now are OMM, OPC, and Histo lab. Plus, I found a lot of lectures weren't necessary to understand the material.

B&B is outstanding as a review, or even as a first pass to get a "feel" for the material, but it is by no means a comprehensive source for boards (and definitely not classes) -- just like FA isn't. No reason to gun for 100s on class exams, but 10-15% of my USMLE questions were only covered in class material and not any of the standard review sources.

B&B is outstanding as a review, or even as a first pass to get a "feel" for the material, but it is by no means a comprehensive source for boards (and definitely not classes) -- just like FA isn't. No reason to gun for 100s on class exams, but 10-15% of my USMLE questions were only covered in class material and not any of the standard review sources.

That's why you start with the foundation, and use the lecture material to get the depth. I wouldn't use B&B (or FA) as the only source

To be fair, if you aren't gunning for those three points, the only required stuff right now are OMM, OPC, and Histo lab. Plus, I found a lot of lectures weren't necessary to understand the material.

That's true, the points definitely arent necessary to pass. Im just slightly neurotic about losing point haha i expect to lose points on exams and quizes but i have a tough time rationalizing it to myself to give up on easy/gimme points. Though that is very true, some lecturers just plain read off the CP, and im not sure what it is about class recently but i can leave lecture and a few hours completely forget everything from lecture. Not sure if im just not fully awake or paying attention or what