What do students at UMDNJ-SOM do outside of the classroom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roger2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interviewed recently and really LOVED the school. Not much feedback from my student host, as to what students do for a social life or for extracurricular activities on campus.
Does the school sponser any intramurals or clubs of any sort? I am not familiar with the area and I had a short visit so I couldn't get much of feel. The student I spoke to said he was very happy with the school. Perhaps everyone is TOO BUSY for anything but classes. As an ex collegejock, I like to keep active and enjoy the commaraderie of students on my campus. If any students at SOM could comment on this, I would appreciate it. I know the school's professional and educational credentials are impeccable, but I wondered if it is a closeknit, supportive student body, on and off the campus? I LOVED what I saw the day I interviewed. Just want to know more about the school. Thanks

------------------

rog

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck, Roger. I've never known a SOMer to hang around this site. I loved the school when I went also, and I agree that there was ambiguity about what happens after class. I've been accepted and would love to go (although I'm still keeping my options somewhat open). Keep us all posted on your final decision.

-RDO

For what it's worth, my guide told me that they (the student body?) went to Philadelphia fairly often, so that's something. Also, he was the president of a student organization (can't remember the name) so there's at least one. I wish I had looked through the yearbook while I was in the admissions office!

Paige (accepted and thrilled, but trying to keep an open mind... maybe I should attend just so that an SOMer will be around!
smile.gif
)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey look!

It's Paige, roger and RDO talking about UMDNJ-SOM again! This is getting sad.

So, for some spice (and since we may be classmates in NJ come fall)...

where else are you guys looking to go to school (and any other info you want to tell me about yourselves)?

-RDO

PS-Are you both from NJ?

It does seem to be a common theme... it's very nice to meet potential classmates before August, though.
smile.gif
I'm a NJ resident currently waiting for the unwholesomely nice Ithaca, NY weather to break. In my spare time (which I have for the first time in 3 years), I play clarinet, read, check e-mail, read this board, play with algae and rotifers, and sleep. Not nearly enough of the latter, I'm afraid, and it certainly doesn't look like I'll get more in the next few years!

I've been offered interviews at Nova, Kirksville, and LECOM, but I have/am going to turn those down due to lack of funds. I'm still interested in other schools (those that are easily accessible by car), but I was really impressed with SOM. The nice in-state tuition doesn't hurt, either.
smile.gif

Am I correct in remembering that you are not a NJ resident? If so, I'm really impressed that you were accepted this early. Are you looking at other schools right now?

Paige

That's right, i'm not a NJ resident (I'm from Long Island, NY). So I have to pay a lot if that's where I end up. Originally, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to an allopathic or osteopathic school so I applied to both. I have interviews at Albany, Mt. Sinai, Columbia, NYMC, Brooklyn, Stony Brook, NYCOM. Now I wish I'd applied to more osteo. schools (I have also applied to PCOM-haven't heard a peep) because I'm pretty sure at this point that I want to go to a DO school. Then again, I don't want to leave the northeast for various reasons, so maybe these are all the osteo schools I would have applied to anyway.
This is not to say I wouldn't consider an allopathic school. From what I've seen, they're all really nice and care about the students as much as osteo schools do, but the intense focus on research and specialization at the schools I've seen (note: haven't visited all in the above list yet) is just not what I'm interested in.

In my spare time I ride to and from campus to my apt.(30-40mins) here in NYC and try to control my cats now that my girlfriend bought them a cat nip plant to eat. I love being a college senior with easy classes and time to actually have fun!! I thought it would never end. Oh well, i guess it's all about to begin again.

-RDO

I also applied to some allopathic schools (including Mt. Sinai- can you let me know how that one goes?), but the more I read about osteopathic medicine, the more I seem to like it. I haven't interviewed at any allopathic schools so I can't make direct comparisons there, but I like what I've heard so far. Well, if I get interviews there, I'll be able to compare, and if not, then I don't need to worry about it!

I love being a senior... If all goes well next semester, I won't have any Monday or Friday classes. A cat would be nice to keep me company on those long, boring (not likely- there's always lab...) days, but my boyfriend is allergic. Too bad... I miss cats, and my housemate's lab hamster isn't all that cuddly.

Paige

Paige,

I just sent you a long email. Let me know if you got it. Thanks.

-RDO