PCOM student life outside of classroom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keddisDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi current PCOM students:

I have been accepted into the class of 2008 and I just wanted to know what the "student life" is like their for you current students. I know there are tons of organizations to participate in, but do you have fun there and love the school, professors, or what ever else?

I really loved PCOM and the only thing that scares me is their tuition. Please give me some personal info and advice about your experiences at PCOM to help me with my decision. Thanks

Rob

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Rob,

Pinch yourself buddy. You will get the very best of all worlds here at PCOM. It is fantastic

Hey Rob,
Congratulations on your acceptance! Student life at PCOM is so much better than I ever thought possible in medical school. There are of course a ton of clubs and organizations to get involved with, but it is really the students here that make our student life so great. People are really friendly, social, and come from a wide variety of backgrounds. Having such a large class is definately an advantage. Even though we have been together since August, I am always finding new things out about people, making new friends and connections. The atmosphere here makes it easy to meet people and even though people tend to fall into little cliques of their friends, they are nonexclusive and welcoming. Do I get along with everyone-no, of course not. But there is a level of respect that people have for eachother.
There are quite a lot on social activities, I think to keep us from going crazy from studying so much. If you choose to drink there are nights when the whole class with go to the bar, after most exams. There is a group that goes out every Wednesday but I have no idea how they manage that, don't plan on having the time. We recently had a ski trip, there was an orientation BBQ, trips to the Mutter museum, baseball games, a first year vs second year football game, etc. Life here is fun but its not like undergrad part two. There are a lot of educational and medically related fun things to do as well. Clubs sponser different speakers to come in, many time clinicians, and sponser programs. Many things are during lunch hour or just for a few hours after class so they are easy to fit into a busy schedule. There is also a group for people and their significant others if you are involved with someone. You will have a lot more time than you think and there are plenty things to do to fill it and a lot of awesome people to spend it with. Do you have any questions? I hope I made it obvious that I am very very happy here and I hope that you decide to come.

Members don't see this ad :)
I figure I will post this here to see if anyone responds. Anyway I was wondering if PCOM has a white coat ceremony like many other schools. One more thing, I have heard that the first week at PCOM is orientation. Does that mean orientations starts around the 3rd week of August or the 2nd week. How was it for past classes. Also how long do the orientation days run.
The only reason I ask is because I have my mom coming up to visit from Florida and my wife might be away in August. Purely for logistical planning since PCOM has been all but helpful.

Thanks,
Raptor5

Yep - there is indeed a white coat ceremony. It is held either the 2nd or 3rd day of orientation (can't remember now - studying for exam). They even invite NBC10 and/or WPVI (Channel 6 - the local ABC station) to cover the event :)

You will get something in the mail early summer asking you for your white coat size since the coat will be provided to you by the Pennsylvania Osteopathic Medical Association.

Unfortunately, your family and friends won't be able to attend the white coat ceremony due to lack of space. However, there will be activities for you and your family on the 3rd day of orientation (friday).

For the Class of 2007, Orientation was August 12, 13, and 15 of 2003. Thursday was "off day" for those who needed to take care of business (i.e. buy furniture, set up utilities, set up banking, etc)

According to PCOM Calender, Fall Terms begin August 16, 2004. Not sure if that mean classes or orientation. Back to studying :(

Thanks Group Theory

I was aware of POMA donating the white coats. Also stethospopes from what I was told by the POMA PR director.

Raptor5

maybe if we ask nicely, we can get POMA to buy our books too!

Originally posted by Billy33
maybe if we ask nicely, we can get POMA to buy our books too!

I tried.