CLEP for prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Literati81

Poor Nerd
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Quick question. Have any of you used your CLEP credits to fulfill your prereqs?

I have 2 more units of gchem left due to my school's awesome coursework shrinkage (same amount for less units). And I'm not totally happy with the class I'm taking right now at a community college to fill this void; the professor is socially inept, inflexible, takes roll daily and uses subscripts like "h"=heat and "s" =specific heat. Not to mention, I just sat through a 2 hour lecture about what qualifies as a homogeneous mixture.

I would really like to just take the CLEP test and get the 2 units. However, I'm worried dental schools won't accept CLEP credit because its not graded. I called two schools today but haven't been able to talk to a live person.

Can anyone help? I'm most worried about UCSF, UCLA and UPenn.

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly doubt that they would allow CLEP as a valid replacement for pre-reqs. In theory it would be nice, but each of the pre-reqs need a lab and there is just no guarantee that the CLEP test will be the same level as needed. CLEP tests are pretty much a joke when it comes to difficulty (depending on subject), and they don't go into a lot of detail.

I've heard of CLEPping out of pre-reqs. Ultimately, it will rest on the dental schools to decide what they want to accept, so I'd call up and check with them to see how lenient each one might be. If you have some special circumstances, they could even waive a pre-req or two for you, depending. If you are applying to some schools in-state wherever you are, it might help to make an appointment with the registrar and sit down together and talk about it.