Clep tests in Spanish and English

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kellbud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need a few credits for Spanish and English in order to apply to med school in Puerto Rico (Universidad del Caribe and Ponce School of Medicine)
The admission person of the Universidad del Caribe told me to consider the CLEP test to fulfill the requirements, but what I don't know how CLEP tests really work. Are they transferred to a transcript? or do I have to transfer my CLEP score to a transcript in order to be considered in my application? also I don't know if Ponce School of Medicine accept CLEP tests. I haven't got a hold on the person in charge of admission. Do you have an idea about it?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last time I checked they want you to be a native speaker of Spanish.

I don't think so, I read they require you to be totally bilingual , and I am, but even I am native in English I still need 12 credits, and even though I am very fluent in Spanish I am still short in credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if you are fluent in Spanish then sure take clep tests. That will totally work.
But I am also fluent in other languages. But I would be very fearful to attend a school which solely teaches in a language other then English. I might be fluent but I know that I simply know more English medical terms and science terms.
So be careful.

what I don't know how CLEP tests really work. Are they transferred to a transcript? or do I have to transfer my CLEP score to a transcript in order to be considered in my application?
Thanks.

In general, you have to have your clep scores transferred to an official transcript to be considered. That means you have to be enrolled in a school in order for them to be transferred. Some schools don't accept all clep tests. Most schools will accept spanish clep scores. Most schools only give you pass/fail credit for the majority of Clep tests. Be careful about your degree requirements. Some schools want you to take a certain number of your last 30 hours on campus, etc..

Overall, I consider Clep tests an easy way to get credit. You can find prep books online or in major bookstores.

Good luck!