CLEPed for a pre-req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleeplessdreamer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

When I first started undergrad, I was pre-pharm and so I took the CLEP exam for gen chem. I used my credit to skip gen chem 1, but I still took gen chem 2 and the lab for 1 and 2. I finished organic chemistry with labs last semester, and I have made As in all of these courses.

I also am a TA for intro to chemistry, I tutor organic chemistry, and I will likely be getting a LOR from my orgo lab professor.

My pre-med adviser suggested I retake gen chem 1 because some med schools won't accept my CLEP, even though I continued taking the higher level chemistry courses.

Even though I feel like it will be easy and the safest option, I wonder if I'd be wasting my time. Will this one CLEPed class really hurt my chances?

Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

When I first started undergrad, I was pre-pharm and so I took the CLEP exam for gen chem. I used my credit to skip gen chem 1, but I still took gen chem 2 and the lab for 1 and 2. I finished organic chemistry with labs last semester, and I have made As in all of these courses.

I also am a TA for intro to chemistry, I tutor organic chemistry, and I will likely be getting a LOR from my orgo lab professor.

My pre-med adviser suggested I retake gen chem 1 because some med schools won't accept my CLEP, even though I continued taking the higher level chemistry courses.

Even though I feel like it will be easy and the safest option, I wonder if I'd be wasting my time. Will this one CLEPed class really hurt my chances?

Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!
Many medical schools require that you take 1 year of general chemistry. Many (possibly all) of the schools that do require this will not accept CLEP credits. Do with this information what you will.

Buy an MSAR and lookup the schools you want to apply to and their requirements.

Some medical schools will be accommodating concerning this, and some will have more of a rules are rules attitude. You've taken upper level courses and actually helped teach the course, if I were and adcom that'd be enough for me (might want to see an upper level inorganic chemistry course though). But it will depend on the school's policy and their policy on their policy if that makes any sense (the MSAR won't tell you if and how a school will accommodate the atypical scenario). Personally I would not retake the course right now. Once you've settled on a medical school acceptance in May of the year you apply, then ask if they need you to take it and if so, take a summer course before matriculation. No gamble and no unnecessary course until you know whether you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile