Cliffs bio VS. Barrons ap bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Auron

Cruisin' the Cosmos
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is better for the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
very tough call...buy both. Cliffs cost me 2$ and Barrons maybe 5$...

very tough call...buy both. Cliffs cost me 2$ and Barrons maybe 5$...

Thanks doc3232.

I wasn't sure as I heard they're both good, is barrons known to have more errors?

I also have all the mcat hyperlearning books, but do you think they are overkill for the DAT? Is their anything on the mcat science sections that isn't covered in DAT science sections? Also, the practice questions in the hyperlearning books are all passage based, and it's not like this on DAT so where should I get practice material? I guess I'm asking how do I best utilize the hyperlearning books?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do a search, you'll find the answer.

But I'll save you the trouble and tell you that it is Cliff's. Some people who wanted even more information opted for Schaum's.

Cliff's as an additional bio resource sufficed for me as well.

Thanks doc3232.

I wasn't sure as I heard they're both good, is barrons known to have more errors?

I also have all the mcat hyperlearning books, but do you think they are overkill for the DAT? Is their anything on the mcat science sections that isn't covered in DAT science sections? Also, the practice questions in the hyperlearning books are all passage based, and it's not like this on DAT so where should I get practice material?

The hyperlearning books aren't overkill if you want to understand the concepts. For a review, they are a bit overkill for the DAT, not so much the GenChem section but for BIO it's a bit too much - but if you want that extra edge of knowing information that could potentially show up as a "WTF" question to separate the 100% from the 90%iles, no harm in using the TPR MCAT books for your initial phase but then focus your prep with Kaplan's course book.

For practice Qs that simulate the DAT, Kaplan subject tests are amazing as are the DAT Destroyer questions - for the DD again, if you want to be at 100% there's no harm, it's excellent practice. I found the Kaplan subject tests to be great on their own, but for the "WTF" Qs, I'd get my hands on DD too.

The MCAT books will definitely not be enough, b/c there are things in the DAT that the MCAT does not test.

The hyperlearning books aren't overkill if you want to understand the concepts. For a review, they are a bit overkill for the DAT, not so much the GenChem section but for BIO it's a bit too much - but if you want that extra edge of knowing information that could potentially show up as a "WTF" question to separate the 100% from the 90%iles, no harm in using the TPR MCAT books for your initial phase but then focus your prep with Kaplan's course book.

For practice Qs that simulate the DAT, Kaplan subject tests are amazing as are the DAT Destroyer questions - for the DD again, if you want to be at 100% there's no harm, it's excellent practice. I found the Kaplan subject tests to be great on their own, but for the "WTF" Qs, I'd get my hands on DD too.

thank you,

Where do I get the kaplan subject tests and what is DD? I wish kaplan had a qbank like they do for the mcat...

If you do a search, you'll find the answer.

But I'll save you the trouble and tell you that it is Cliff's. Some people who wanted even more information opted for Schaum's.

Cliff's as an additional bio resource sufficed for me as well.

u said u used Cliffs as an additional bio source, what else did you used for bio

There shouldn't be an IBSN b/c you can only get these books if you take their course. Therefore, there only way to get them without paying $1500 for the course is to buy the books second-hand from eBay, craigslist, or the classifieds on SDN.

For BIO I used Kaplan Review Book and DAT Destroyer in addition to Cliff's.

There shouldn't be an IBSN b/c you can only get these books if you take their course. Therefore, there only way to get them without paying $1500 for the course is to buy the books second-hand from eBay, craigslist, or the classifieds on SDN.

For BIO I used Kaplan Review Book and DAT Destroyer in addition to Cliff's.

by the kaplan book, u mean the blue book you can get at barnes & nobles right?

and i cant find the classified section on SDN! Where is it?

by the kaplan book, u mean the blue book you can get at barnes & nobles right?

and i cant find the classified section on SDN! Where is it?

Yea, I used the Kaplan book from the course - bought it 2nd hand off someone but I think it's essentially the same as the retail version (barnes & nobles) but with practice Qs at the end of each chapter.

The classifieds section is at the bottom of the page - there's the pre-allo/DO stuff at the very top, then allo/DO, then dental stuff, optometry, etc..----------> near the bottom there is a classifieds with a "sales" sub-forum and a "wanted" sub-forum.

Barron is supposed to have lots of errors unless they fixed them in last 3 yrs.

i used kaplan BB, destroyer, and cliff's. i thought cliff's was good. it didn't go into too much detail, but just enough so that i understood the topics well.

Hands down cliffs. not too dry, short and sweet, straight to the point.