Clinical Clerkships in the CAF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borrelia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an IMG, and as part of my medical education I did my clinical clerkships in the US.
When editing my Common Application Form for MyEras, I do not see where it goes. Since US hands on clinical experience its so important for an IMG I am reluctant to post it in Experience as work, research or volunteer, because it was none of the above. Where would you add it??

I do not feel it goes well as Other Medical school attended either.

thanks a lot!!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am an IMG, and as part of my medical education I did my clinical clerkships in the US.
When editing my Common Application Form for MyEras, I do not see where it goes. Since US hands on clinical experience its so important for an IMG I am reluctant to post it in Experience as work, research or volunteer, because it was none of the above. Where would you add it??

I do not feel it goes well as Other Medical school attended either.

thanks a lot!!!:)

I too want to know how to list this info.

If you are an IMG from abroad and did a few rotations in the U.S u can list it on your cv. If you are an IMG from the carib schools u don't list your rotations.Everyone knows carib schools have clinicals in the u.s

From the ERAS worksheet:

Provide the requested information for each relevant work, research, and volunteer experience/position. Include clinical and teaching experience as work experiences, and include all unpaid extracurricular activities and committees you have served on as volunteer experiences. This worksheet has space for you to make two entries. You may create as many entries as needed online.

Agreed you should only do this if you are a non carib IMG with a few US rotations.

what about a research rotation? can it be included in research experience?

Yes, and you should, since it will give you a chance to describe what you did.

how much attention do PD's pay to description listed?
and can research rotation make or break a application? Would I be looked favorably compared to someone with similar stats if I have had research rotation? I am talking about IM programs?

how much attention do PD's pay to description listed?
and can research rotation make or break a application? Would I be looked favorably compared to someone with similar stats if I have had research rotation? I am talking about IM programs?

Depends on the program, but the standard answers would be "not much" and "no". Research is a nice add on, but residency is mainly about clinical work and that's what most PD's care about. If you bring a project to completion and get a publication out of it, that will make it mean more. A few programs are very research heavy/focused, and those programs will care much more.

From the ERAS worksheet:

Agreed you should only do this if you are a non carib IMG with a few US rotations.

I am an IMG currently doing some US clinical rotations. I have spent 3 months doing rotations and have 3 more months to go (until the end of November). As a lot of programs require at least 6 months of USCE I was wondering whether to include my last 3 months that I have not yet completed in my application. I don't want to be excluded from programs that require 6 months USCE.

If you don't think these experiences should be included under the 'work experiences' section, where do you recommend I record them?

Cheers.

I am an IMG currently doing some US clinical rotations. I have spent 3 months doing rotations and have 3 more months to go (until the end of November). As a lot of programs require at least 6 months of USCE I was wondering whether to include my last 3 months that I have not yet completed in my application. I don't want to be excluded from programs that require 6 months USCE.

If you don't think these experiences should be included under the 'work experiences' section, where do you recommend I record them?

Cheers.

You can list them in the Work experience, noting that they are "scheduled for Sept 2009" (or whenever).

You can list them in the Work experience, noting that they are "scheduled for Sept 2009" (or whenever).

Thanks for that response! That clears things up.

Cheers.