Clinical D. schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etoolky1

Tooth girl
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which dental schoold are more clinical?

Members don't see this ad.

etoolky1 said:
One way to find out is to apply to all the schools you like (if you can afford or just narrow down to what you can afford) and get invited for interviews and go through the clinics and see and compare for yourself.

Pikeyman said:
One way to find out is to apply to all the schools you like (if you can afford or just narrow down to what you can afford) and get invited for interviews and go through the clinics and see and compare for yourself.

good advice....when u interview at schools, make sure to get the clinical requirements that students need to graduate...that will give you a good insight on how well trained you will be when u graduate.....

if you gonna pay so much for school, why not get the most practice out of it, right?

also, make sure the school has adequate patients to fulfill the requirements...

Members don't see this ad :)
OHSU is very clinical
110 fillings including 8 gold fillings
26 crowns with at least 1 bridge
14 dentures with at least 4 partials
tons of scalings and root planings
pediatrics is once per week

You do all of your own lab work except for the casting of porcelain crowns and the partial frameworks.

Loma Linda is very very clinical

SUNY @ Buffalo, Nova, Case, OSU (just like said above), Tufts and many more...

University of Kentucky is. The students I've talked to say you can work on patients your first semester.

GP to be said:
University of Kentucky is. The students I've talked to say you can work on patients your first semester.

hahahhhahah......i hardly doubt it......there is a differnece between "working on patients" and "observing patients"

Temple is probably the most clinical school in the nation.....second most patients in the nation, do our own lab work.....geez, seems like clinical work is the only thing that goes on around here......

UNLV doesn't hurt for patients either. In the short period of time it has been open, I feel like its going to be a top notch clinical school in coming years. Great faculty, experience early, lots of pateints!

Creighton: have several friends who attend there and they say it is great. No specialty programs robbing your interesting endo, orthodontic, perio patients.

UMKC: plenty of KC rotten teeth, class of 100 students broken down into smaller groups for more personal instruction, paper-free clinic from check-in to x-rays.

Nebraska: No flouride in surrounding area = lot of rotten teeth

Iowa: when I interviewed there 2 students told me that they were having trouble keeping busy all the time, and filling their requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
paolorossifan said:

Are you serious? Columbia is a GREAT school but I don't think it would be considered a good clinical school as evidenced by the large number of GPRs after graduation.

From what I know...(and if I don't list a school here, it doesn't mean its not clincal)

Loma Linda, Temple, University of the Pacific, Temple, NOT UCLA....

Sorry for any repeats, I didn't glance through other people's posts...

wimmcs said:

I'd buy that now, but wasn't too sure prior to our starting clinic.

We haven't been given baby steps to get into the clinic, and have been given some difficult patients to begin with. Most of us were under the assumption that our first procedures would be some easy occlusal preps, etc., when in reality they've turned out to be root canals, etc.

thank you all for the information :)

Temple, for one, is as clinical as you want it to be. I will be a senior in about a week and am already certified in invisalign (will be starting 2 cases in about a month), doing implants, inlays, onlays, all of the normal stuff too of course, have extracted 130 teeth, have a patient that I will be doing 8 veneers on after she is done with her ortho, doing other oral surgery procedures (alveolectomies......). In all I have doing or am going to be doing everything I want to do. I have more patients than I can handle right now, approaching 50. I am trying to get approval to do a crown lengthening as well, although I might send it to perio since I don't care to do it (I'm applying to ortho residencies). Basically you can learn whatever you want to learn. There are instructors that will help you through just about anything you want to do as long as you have confidence in yourself.

There are probably a few other schools out there that have this range, quantity and quality of procedures available to be done at our level, but I have only attended Temple obviously, so that is all I will comment on. I hate the area though (I am from California), but if you can deal with that, you are set.

-Good luck in whatever you decide

A good rule of thumb is that the schools west of the Mississippi are generally more clinically oriented, while the schools east of it are more research oriented. While there are exceptions to this rule, such as Tufts and Nova (I'm afraid that I don't know very much about Temple), this is a good way to begin to limit your search.

Jaws said:
A good rule of thumb is that the schools west of the Mississippi are generally more clinically oriented, while the schools east of it are more research oriented. While there are exceptions to this rule, such as Tufts and Nova (I'm afraid that I don't know very much about Temple), this is a good way to begin to limit your search.

I don't know if this makes too much sense because there are just so many exceptions but I get your drift.

Buffalo, Ohio state are some more east of the mississippi that are very clinically oriented. But, you also have UConn which is very good for somebody wanting to specialize.

Tufts and Temple are rock solid.

remember that you state school may have a good clinical program, but sometimes on SDN it is not talked about that much since out of state applicants may be at a disadvantage when applying and therefore dont consider them. If you don't mind paying the big bucks those mentioned above (Tufts, Temple, LLU, even NYU etc.) are great schools.

By the way, the very thought of a "clinical school" is enough to make the average dental student laugh like crazy.

It's one of those things that only pre-dents discuss. Seriously. :)

ItsGavinC said:
By the way, the very thought of a "clinical school" is enough to make the average dental student laugh like crazy.

It's one of those things that only pre-dents discuss. Seriously. :)
I dont get it, please explain

egpndoc said:
I dont get it, please explain

A dental school is a dental school is a dental school. There are some schools that have an abundance of patients, and some that don't have as many. Some schools give students their own assigned chair, while others nearly mandate that students scrap it out for chair time. Some schools let students dive into procedures, while others force them to refer out to upperclassmen or residents. Speaking of which, some schools have resident programs, and others don't. Some allow students to schedule their own patients, others are scheduled by front office staff. Some schools have minimum requirements that are relativey easy to acheive, while others make their students wonder if they are the slowest student doctor around. Some schools place implants, others don't. Some schools favor composites in the posterior, others wouldn't let their students think of doing such a thing. Some schools have minimal composite requirements, other schools believe composite works in many situations (I've used composite twice and placed 11 surfaces already).

But above all, every school is a combination of the above, and probably falls somewhere on the spectrum between extremes.

Trying to gauge which schools are "clinical" is nearly an absurd idea. What does "clinical" even mean? Is it the same for everybody? Does "clinical" really mean a better education (it must or pre-dents wouldn't be asking about it, right?).

You get the idea.

ItsGavinC said:
A dental school is a dental school is a dental school. There are some schools that have an abundance of patients, and some that don't have as many. Some schools give students their own assigned chair, while others nearly mandate that students scrap it out for chair time. Some schools let students dive into procedures, while others force them to refer out to upperclassmen or residents. Speaking of which, some schools have resident programs, and others don't. Some allow students to schedule their own patients, others are scheduled by front office staff. Some schools have minimum requirements that are relativey easy to acheive, while others make their students wonder if they are the slowest student doctor around. Some schools place implants, others don't. Some schools favor composites in the posterior, others wouldn't let their students think of doing such a thing. Some schools have minimal composite requirements, other schools believe composite works in many situations (I've used composite twice and placed 11 surfaces already).

But above all, every school is a combination of the above, and probably falls somewhere on the spectrum between extremes.

Trying to gauge which schools are "clinical" is nearly an absurd idea. What does "clinical" even mean? Is it the same for everybody? Does "clinical" really mean a better education (it must or pre-dents wouldn't be asking about it, right?).

You get the idea.
got it ;)

Personally, I think Gavin's reponse is "laughable".......

dentistry is a hands-on profession, and with anything else hands on such as playing guitar, making model airplanes, blah blha blah, PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT........its as simple as that. how could you disagree with that???

so going to a school that emphasizes clinical education, has high clinical requirements and has enough patients is key for this....this is not uniform at every dental school!!!!!

so why not get the most practice you can while in dental school?? You'll be way more confident upon graduation and be a leg up on many other dental graduates......Isnt that what you are paying for??? doesnt it make sense?

for instance, for the entire semester we have been doing prosthodontics........personally I suck at doing crown preps, provisionals, bridges......but since Im bombarded with it constantly, Im getting much better.....i still have many problems with it, but i still have one more year of constantly doing this in preclinic to gain my confidence.....

I cant imagine going to another school and only having limited exposure to these type of things, and I can totally understand why some other students at other schools graduate with a lack of clinical confidence.....when I talk to some other first year dental students at BU, they dont even know what im talking about when i tell them about the prostho we are doing......

and its the clinical stuff that is gonna bring home the paycheques...

by the way...just because Gavin is a moderator and he shares the same last name as the dental God, Gordon Christensen, doesnt mean that Gavin knows it all.....

Reactions: 1 user
etoolky1 said:

Not saying because I will go there but: USC

While we're on the subject (this is weird, I was just wondering the other day about clinical experience at other schools... and I'm a current student...), when will everyone actually start seeing their *own* patients on clinic? I.E. At LL, our class will be the first to start having an active patient 'family' as of Winter quarter (January) of our 2nd year.

Are other schools in the country starting at about the same time?

Note: I'm not including clinical observing/assisting (which is very helpful, but is lightyears from actually having your own teeth to drill on...)... but fyi, we started that our first week of school.

Also, when it comes to removable pros, are any other schools using live patients for their first dentures (vs. on a typodont)?

Edit:

Hmm, maybe I should move this to the regular dental school forum. Wondered why there were so many threads on applications and interviews... whoops.