Clinical experience cut short by COVID - how to show on AMCAS app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Limelilly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished virtual ED scribe training, but I'm still waiting to start work in the hospital. I have hospital volunteer experience, however not as much as I planned because the volunteer program got shut down in March due to COVID19. Is there value in listing in the AMCAS activities that I finished the scribe training and plan to work as a scribe? I don't want to rely on activity I haven't done yet, however I do want to show adcoms that I'm planning to pursue more clinical work.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Every other applicant this cycle is experiencing the same situation, so you've got plenty of company.

Search out other volunteering opportunities where the pandemic makes the need greater -- Meals of Wheels, online tutoring, contract tracing, screening? Even working retail or delivery can be 'spun' into an act of service.

For next years' crop of applicants -- Let this year's unfolding challenges show you the importance of starting early and diversifying your activities.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks. My question is more around whether it is worth listing the 20 hours of scribe training on my AMCAS application I'm about submit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. My question is more around whether it is worth listing the 20 hours of scribe training on my AMCAS application I'm about submit.

I don't think listing it would add much since you haven't started seeing patients. Also, if you are taking a gap year, can't you just put that information in the gap year secondary essays?

I'd list it. It won't help much, but it will at least show that you tried and started.