Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihateorgo11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding whether my clinical experiences are strong enough. I have one year left in school, and I was just wondering if it was necessary to add to my experiences:

I interned in Med/Surg department at a hospital for 6 weeks. Among my administrative duties, I had a lot of patient interaction (gave them food/drinks, answered call lights, put their socks on, adjusted bed, conversed with them).

I interned in ER in same hospital through same program for 6 weeks. My experience here was pure clinical. The nurses and doctors allowed me to do A LOT of hands-on stuff (helps to be an EMT) such as chest compressions, assist in dislocation reductions, assist in suturing, and your daily vital signs.

Became an EMT and worked for my college campus squad (for 3 years). Our patients are primarily drunk college students, but we get anaphylactic shocks, head injuries, lacerations, etc once in a while. No direct interaction with ER because we are a non-transport unit, so we call the local ambulance to take our patients. Would this be considered clinical?

Worked in First Aid department at a water park as an EMT for 4 weeks. Treated mainly scrapes, but saw several interesting cases such as seizures, broken teeth, and the occasional head injuries. I'm not sure whether I should put this down on my application since it was only for 4 weeks and I'm not even sure if this would count as clinical.

Volunteered full-time in a rural, under-resourced, under-staffed clinic in Ollantaytambo, Peru for 9 weeks, 40 hours per week. I did a lot of triaging (blood pressure, temp, weight/height, basic questions), assisting in what was called the "ER", gave antibiotic injections (I was shocked they let me do that), assisted injured and elderly patients to various rooms and up the stairs (only one wheelchair and no elevator), and other little things here and there.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your clinical experience is fine as it stands, with some nice variety (and yes, the time you spent caring for injured people at the pool is clinical experience).

Do you have any formal physician shadowing time? A lot of adcomms will expect to see that.

I don't have any formal shadowing experiences because I'm more of a hands-on person and didn't really want to just follow around a doctor. But through the internships I had, I did shadow doctors and interacted with them--but nothing formal.

Members don't see this ad :)
And I'm also hesistant to add the fact that I've informally volunteered for a care home/nursing home since I was a freshman in high school. The reason why I'm hesitant is because 1) the care home/nursing home is actually in my own home, run by my sister and then currently my mother, and 2) it wasn't anything formal--my sister or mom would just expected me to help them out when I was home. Is this something I should put down in application?

And I'm also hesistant to add the fact that I've informally volunteered for a care home/nursing home since I was a freshman in high school. The reason why I'm hesitant is because 1) the care home/nursing home is actually in my own home, run by my sister and then currently my mother, and 2) it wasn't anything formal--my sister or mom would just expected me to help them out when I was home. Is this something I should put down in application?
Since this was presumably a family business or on behalf of a family member that you helped with, it isn't really volunteer or employment. But if you were interacting with clients or a family member and providing assistance, it was clinical experience you could list under "Other." It would be relevant to your application.