clinical grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newyawk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
how much do PDs look into grade inflation? the grade distributions get reported per clerkship right?
if a student has many honors but the school is notorious for grade inflation and it shows in those distributions does anyone care?
if most PDs don't care then why do schools choose to hurt their own students by making it very difficult to honor?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
how much do PDs look into grade inflation? the grade distributions get reported per clerkship right?
if a student has many honors but the school is notorious for grade inflation and it shows in those distributions does anyone care?
if most PDs don't care then why do schools choose to hurt their own students by making it very difficult to honor?

Most places just want to see the honors. Schools that give a high % of honors tend to match really well. I think most just don't care to differentiate the grading of so many schools.

Around the same percentage of people get AOA at any school, which marginally helps to standardize. Other than that, they don’t seem to look or care that much.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I gleaned from interviews, PDs just look at your grades in specialty of choice and then look to make sure you didn't straight Pass everything else.

I had an interviewer tell me that people who conduct interviews every year end up reading many letters by the same people over time (e.g. 5-6 applicants a year from school X who all have a letter from Dr. Y, every year) and end up being able to "grade" the applicants because they know what an average vs good vs great letter from that doctor looks like.

From what I gleaned from interviews, PDs just look at your grades in specialty of choice and then look to make sure you didn't straight Pass everything else.

I feel like that can't be true for a lot of competitive specialties, like derm or plastic surgery. Plus, the number of clinical honors you rack up is used to determine AOA status and class rank at a lot of medical schools.

I feel like they didn't care at all about grades besides AOA during my interviews. They know every school has a different honor system

I feel like they didn't care at all about grades besides AOA during my interviews. They know every school has a different honor system
Our school doesn't release AOA until just before the match...but I've heard you need straight honors to get it.
Not sure what that would mean on the interview trail. Hopefully they'd be aware that nobody from here is capable of having AOA yet.

In my medium-sized and relatively (but not highest level) competitive specialty, when I was a PD, I got to know many of the other PD's at other programs bc we met twice a year at our specialty conferences and we just got to know the letter writers over time.

The most important determination in residency selection was audition sub internship performance at our institution (essentially a month-long interview), or a like institution where I knew the PD (as they have little incentive to write great things about a student who is not from their school). Then sub internship performance at home institution. Then Clerkship grades, but especially paying attention to the qualitative comments. There are some top schools where most everyone gets the highest "grade" but as one reads the MSPE or MSPE-equivalent, themes do emerge. In a residency class, it is extremely important to select for character, dependability, etc even more so than medical school, bc any professional issues are likely to be magnified in residency and affect the others in the residency and residency leadership (and of course, patients). We almost never pay attention to shelf exams, unless scores are consistently so low as to give concerns about passing specialty board certification exams. We do not want to accept medical students who spent time that they should have spent with patients instead putting their head in a book in the library.

In my medium-sized and relatively (but not highest level) competitive specialty, when I was a PD, I got to know many of the other PD's at other programs bc we met twice a year at our specialty conferences and we just got to know the letter writers over time.

The most important determination in residency selection was audition sub internship performance at our institution (essentially a month-long interview), or a like institution where I knew the PD (as they have little incentive to write great things about a student who is not from their school). Then sub internship performance at home institution. Then Clerkship grades, but especially paying attention to the qualitative comments. There are some top schools where most everyone gets the highest "grade" but as one reads the MSPE or MSPE-equivalent, themes do emerge. In a residency class, it is extremely important to select for character, dependability, etc even more so than medical school, bc any professional issues are likely to be magnified in residency and affect the others in the residency and residency leadership (and of course, patients). We almost never pay attention to shelf exams, unless scores are consistently so low as to give concerns about passing specialty board certification exams. We do not want to accept medical students who spent time that they should have spent with patients instead putting their head in a book in the library.
Thanks for the response. When you look at the MSPE, what types of things are you looking for? Most of my comments werent glowing (ie “top student” “best ive ever worked with”) but some were “outstanding” and all said i was dependable, intellectually curious, etc.
In other words, is it considered fine to have good but not great comments? Or are you looking for amazing comments throughout?

Probably dependent on the speciality and level of competitiveness/inherent nature of the program you are applying to. Our dean who was a cardiology fellowship director, highly emphasizes the importance of third year grades so I am sure they mean something. An all passes vs all honors will definitely make the honors student get more interviews.
The subtle differences between whether a student has 3 honors or 4 honors probably matters much less. More so than honors, I think what would matter is your percentile rank and AOA status as that is more objective.

Thanks for the response. When you look at the MSPE, what types of things are you looking for? Most of my comments werent glowing (ie “top student” “best ive ever worked with”) but some were “outstanding” and all said i was dependable, intellectually curious, etc.
In other words, is it considered fine to have good but not great comments? Or are you looking for amazing comments throughout?
For all but the medium and less competitive specialties/programs, plenty of people with the kinds of comments you have will match well. Remember that residency match is more holistic than the medical school admission process. This means that the MSPE is just one piece of the puzzle. Almost every applicant has an Achilles heel - some part of their application is weak - and can be somewhat compensated by other strong elements (ie great interviewing skills, high Step scores, strong research, LOR's). So if your comments are not exceptional, hopefully, you have other strengths in your application.

In the MSPE, we are looking for consistent threads of dependability, dedication to the specialty, intellectually curiosity, collaboration, team-player, humility - but more importantly, in the MSPE, we are also looking for subtle negative comments that might indicate that a student is not a good fit for the specialty or our program. Sometimes, only years of experience of reading literally thousands of qualitative comments puts us in a position to deduce something is amiss. Certainly, words or synonyms for words like "competitive", "aggressive", "intense" for example, tend to be red flags, esp if it is a theme, ard/or there are not positive professionalism comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users