Clinical Job Length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherrycokeicee

Reaction score
Hi, I have a quick question regarding paid clinical employment. I just started a job at as a technician at a local clinic and I plan to work over the summer to get a minimum of ~400 hours. I originally was thinking that I would continue doing this job during the school year as they are pretty flexible with students, requiring minimum 4 hour shifts as often as possible. However, this is easier said than done in between leadership positions, classes being in person at my institution this fall and having to take specific ones for prerequisites that don't allow for much wiggle room for 4 hours either morning or night, research, volunteering, etc. I would only be able to do 1 shift a week, sometimes 2, and I'm just not sure how beneficial it'd be. Do medical schools look down on shorter experiences like this or do they understand that clinical jobs can be hard on students due to the 9-5 hours during weekdays only (not hospital jobs but like actual clinical jobs). I was thinking I MIGHT consider being a home health CNA during the school year as I believe those hours are more flexible, but that's a hard maybe. I truly think I prioritize my clinical volunteering more, as I volunteer in a free healthcare clinic and hospice. If someone could let me know that'd be great... really not sure what to do. I am starting MCAT studying in October and I just don't think I can keep up with all these activities and am going to need to cut something, as a lot of my activities I've been doing at the same time if that makes sense.

Members don't see this ad.

I think schools would understand. If that was your only clinical experience, then it would be different. But since you've already been a volunteer at the free clinic and hospice, that by itself is sufficient and shows longevity. Any additional clinic experiences may help but are by no means necessary. You already have 2 solid experiences, so don't overload yourself just for the sake of doing it.