Clinical Pathologist Assistants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dingdong28

Funny as hell
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, you read that title correctly. Introducing the 1st ever clinical pathologist assistant program:

Since I couldn't find any posts about this...I only have one word: Why?

I can't wait to read everyone's responses to this.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you read that title correctly. Introducing the 1st ever clinical pathologist assistant program:

Might be nice to scut them out for diagnostic management teams or other “quality-improvement” mumbo-jumbo so I can focus on more important things like running a lab.

Looks like a masters degree developed by non-clinical pathologists, as a bridge to the controversial doctorate in clinical laboratory sciences. I can’t really see anyone actually getting a job from it, it would be better to just hire a clinical pathologist for those job tasks.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an anatomic pathologist I have always felt fairly insulated from the scope of practice battle. But the older I get, and the more administration and clinical pathology I do, the more I realize that the battle is alive and well in our specialty. There are plenty of senior med techs who resent pathologist oversight.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As an anatomic pathologist I have always felt fairly insulated from the scope of practice battle. But the older I get, and the more administration and clinical pathology I do, the more I realize that the battle is alive and well in our specialty. There are plenty of senior med techs who resent pathologist oversight.
It's funny (in a sad way) you say that because the lab I currently work in is the epitome of this. We have 4 pathologists, 3 of which are part-time (1-2 days a week) and 1 full-time pathologist that serves as our medical director. For whatever reason, there's this huge disconnect between our pathologists/medical director and med techs, which causes this disconnect and disrespect amongst each other. I know my job is mostly automated, but I was really surprised when our pathologists and former medical director didn't understand what was happening out in the clinical lab or what went into running an individual department (competencies, daily/weekly/monthly QC review, new lot studies of reagents/QC materials, CAP survey submission/corrections, etc.), a helluva lot more than just pushing buttons. Maybe I'm doing too many things as a low-level manager that the actual lab manager should take care of :)

This new program though makes no sense to me. In the "career opportunities" section, every single one of those "opportunities" can be fulfilled by medical technologist with 3-5 years experience. You can be a lab director as a medical technologist, albeit for a moderate complexity lab only. I chuckled when I saw "Pipeline program for the DCLS (Clinical Doctorate)." Similarly to the DCLS, I don't know anyone that wants to enroll in this type of program.

Even though many pathologist have no clue about CP, it doesn't stop some from billing a professional fee for contributing NOTHING.

Even though many pathologist have no clue about CP, it doesn't stop some from billing a professional fee for contributing NOTHING.
Forgive my ignorance, but why is that the case? Is it because most pathologists employed in hospitals are only AP trained? Is it a lack of interest, pay or other things?

How can some of them bill for something for doing nothing? For our lab/system, we have to order a pathologist review in order to bill for a pathologist's services (transfusion reaction workup, electrophoresis, blasts/abnormal WBCs in body fluids, crystals seen in joint fluids, etc.).

I never realized how much goes into running a clinical lab until stepping in my current role

Ya’ know, that hit me because I had a thorough and rigorous 2 out of 4 years (AP/CP program) clinical pathology training. I really don’t think this was ever common. But, when I was out as a new, young medical director who really knew his CP stuff, I felt ZERO guilt for any professional component and/or med directorship money we got. I had the responsibility, brains, answers and liability.

Forgive my ignorance, but why is that the case? Is it because most pathologists employed in hospitals are only AP trained? Is it a lack of interest, pay or other things?

How can some of them bill for something for doing nothing? For our lab/system, we have to order a pathologist review in order to bill for a pathologist's services (transfusion reaction workup, electrophoresis, blasts/abnormal WBCs in body fluids, crystals seen in joint fluids, etc.).

I never realized how much goes into running a clinical lab until stepping in my current role

Because pathologists have ZERO TO LITTLE LEVERAGE THANKS TO BIG ACADEMIA AND THEIR GLUT OF TRAINING MOST HAVE NO POWER TO NEGOTIATE CP PROFESSIONAL BILLING

Because pathologists have ZERO TO LITTLE LEVERAGE THANKS TO BIG ACADEMIA AND THEIR GLUT OF TRAINING MOST HAVE NO POWER TO NEGOTIATE CP PROFESSIONAL BILLING

Not just CP Professional billing but employment as well. I had a friend with three years experience who applied for a job in a Florida outpatient lab. Guess how many weeks vacation they offered him WITH experience?

2 WEEKS A YEAR!!!!! AKA Make as much money for us as you can or you can take a hike!

He asked for more vacation. Do you know what they said?

NO!

He went to get a job at Quest instead.

To all who think we have a good job market, let me ask you, do dermatologists or orthopedic surgeons get offered 2 weeks vacation?

There’s a lot of doom and gloom here but it’s justified based on what I’ve been hearing from friends.

This is sometimes true, but the laboratory medical director needs to be compensated In some way for the liability and ethical and regulatory responsibility they take on for every result that comes out of their lab.

This is sometimes true, but the laboratory medical director needs to be compensated In some way for the liability and ethical and regulatory responsibility they take on for every result that comes out of their lab.

Many BIG CORPORATE HEALTHCARE businessmen contribute NOTHING to health care in general but they take lots of dough out of the system!