clinical psychology HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How does the years of schooling as a reservist impact your TIS/TIG? I know active duty is pretty straight forward besides something about time deployed can count as two years. If my schooling takes 4 years, does that count as 4 years TIS? If not, is the CPIP when it starts? Also, from your experiences, how does the 45 days a year work out? Are most schools accommodating? Does it have to be all at once or can it be broken up throughout the year? Thanks again guys for all the info, first hand experience is always the best resource.

1. When you go active, you will be an 0-3 (CPT) with 0 years TIS. (Also deployments do not count double. When you get an LES, it will tell you how many High Temo days you have, which is supposed to determine when you can deploy again. Good luck with that one, by the way). In contrast, when I go active, I will be an 0-3E with >7. Because I have those years of active duty prior to HPSP. When you are in graduate school, you are IRR, which is about as "not in the Army" as you can be and still be in the Army. And remember, no matter how long it takes you to finish your license, your payback starts AFTER that. So you will PROBABLY be an 0-3 with >2 when you start your payback time.

2. ADT does not give you any TIS for some reason.

3. However, you are given "constructive credit" for graduate school, which is roughly the equivalent of TIG. It means, "we are making you a CPT because you have so much school." Hence, there is no such thing as a doctor/lieutenent.

4. For clinical psychology, ADT is usually done at school, 45 days at a time, once per year. This is because most PhD programs just don't work out to let you go away for that long to do something else. I am not saying it is not possible, it is just difficult.

Members don't see this ad.

1. When you go active, you will be an 0-3 (CPT) with 0 years TIS. (Also deployments do not count double. When you get an LES, it will tell you how many High Temo days you have, which is supposed to determine when you can deploy again. Good luck with that one, by the way). In contrast, when I go active, I will be an 0-3E with >7. Because I have those years of active duty prior to HPSP. When you are in graduate school, you are IRR, which is about as "not in the Army" as you can be and still be in the Army. And remember, no matter how long it takes you to finish your license, your payback starts AFTER that. So you will PROBABLY be an 0-3 with >2 when you start your payback time.

2. ADT does not give you any TIS for some reason.

3. However, you are given "constructive credit" for graduate school, which is roughly the equivalent of TIG. It means, "we are making you a CPT because you have so much school." Hence, there is no such thing as a doctor/lieutenent.

4. For clinical psychology, ADT is usually done at school, 45 days at a time, once per year. This is because most PhD programs just don't work out to let you go away for that long to do something else. I am not saying it is not possible, it is just difficult.

thanks for the response. As far as duty stations, what choices do you have? Can you really opt for any Army base in the states, or would it be more towards an Army Hospital like the 5 mentioned for the CPIP?

Also, how much time do they provide you to get your license? I figure roughly 4 years of school, 1 year of CPIP intern, then I was speculating several months to possibly a year to study and get your license. And that year would not count towards really anything? Not active duty, nor part of year owed to Army. Is this somewhere in the ball park?

thanks for the response. As far as duty stations, what choices do you have? Can you really opt for any Army base in the states, or would it be more towards an Army Hospital like the 5 mentioned for the CPIP?

Iraq or Afghanistan. Your choice. No, seriously most large units have division and brigade psychologists slots, so your options can be pretty diverse.

Also, how much time do they provide you to get your license? I figure roughly 4 years of school, 1 year of CPIP intern, then I was speculating several months to possibly a year to study and get your license. And that year would not count towards really anything? Not active duty, nor part of year owed to Army. Is this somewhere in the ball park?

You can get your license very shortly after your internship. You have as long as you need, you won't get much in the way of pressure as long as you are actively working towards licensure. It's a matter of perceived intent, if leadership believes you are honestly working towards licensure it won't be a problem.

Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. Im an army HPSP recipient and will be applying for internship next year. I see at least one person I might be on internship with :). Does anyone know anything about the interview/ application process? I understand we apply just like any other internship plus doing paperwork through our recruiter again.

How does the interview process work? For example, if I really want to go to site X do I request an in person interview there?

Is anyone interested in doing post docs with the army after their internship?

Is anyone interested in doing post docs with the army after their internship?

Boy this stuff just keeps on coming. Where did you think you might be doing your post-doctoral years (plural) after the Army pays for your PhD? To re-state what the recruiter should have already made clear-

HPSP is a scholarship wherein the military pays for 2-3 years of your PhD program, and in return, you are an active duty commissioned officer and psychologist. You owe them 3 years, POST LICENSE. They essentially guarantee you an internship, you stay on at the same MEDCEN until you have a license, then your payback begins.

It's not like you "get" to do your internship with them, go somewhere else to do a post doc if you feel like it, maybe come back, maybe not.

And that year would not count towards really anything? Not active duty, nor part of year owed to Army. Is this somewhere in the ball park?

I hate to sound like our fantastic moderator, T4C but the search feature is your friend.

However, lets go over this again.

Internship=ACTIVE DUTY 0-3 (That's "Captain" for the civilian types who are joining the Army for the first time). Counts toward: Time in Service, Time in Grade, Retirement. Does not count toward: Payback.

Post-Doc=ACTIVE DUTY 0-3. As of this academic year is a REQUIREMENT AT THE SAME SITE YOU DO INTERNSHIP. Purpose: To get your license so the Army can get their money's worth out of you as a fully credentialed psychologist. Counts toward: Time in Service, Time Grade, Retirement. Does not count toward: Payback.

License: Every day after counts toward: Everything. At this point, you are a fully credentialed Army psychologist (73B) and you may be deployed, sent to a new duty station (PCS) or utilized in any other way the Army uses psychologists until you have paid back what you owe.

End of transmission.:thumbup:

I hate to sound like our fantastic moderator, T4C but the search feature is your friend.

Internship=ACTIVE DUTY 0-3 (That's "Captain" for the civilian types who are joining the Army for the first time). Counts toward: Time in Service, Time in Grade, Retirement. Does not count toward: Payback.

Post-Doc=ACTIVE DUTY 0-3. As of this academic year is a REQUIREMENT AT THE SAME SITE YOU DO INTERNSHIP. Purpose: To get your license so the Army can get their money's worth out of you as a fully credentialed psychologist. Counts toward: Time in Service, Time Grade, Retirement. Does not count toward: Payback.

License: Every day after counts toward: Everything. At this point, you are a fully credentialed Army psychologist (73B) and you may be deployed, sent to a new duty station (PCS) or utilized in any other way the Army uses psychologists until you have paid back what you owe.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all this!
It was a little confusing but you made it very clear.

:D

In the coming months (when I have a bit more time) I'll be updating our stickies. This thread will be pointed to for HPSP info and/or I'll pull the information and include it somewhere so people can find it easily.

Thank you everyone for the good info!

What does post-doc entail exactly I've always heard the term yet never fully knew what it was. You said "to get your license", so is this a prep type of thing or is this a chance to "specialize" in your field more?

License: do you mean once you ARE licensed or another procedural stage?

Any idea of likability of being deployed vs stateside assignment? Heard they've been deploying more since the high rise of PTSD and other mental health issues of troops.

Hopefully by the time I am full blown active, much will have changed. It'll be roughly 6 years from now before I will be eligible for deployment. Don't think my parents could handle my *** deploying a third time.

Hopefully by the time I am full blown active, much will have changed. It'll be roughly 6 years from now before I will be eligible for deployment. Don't think my parents could handle my *** deploying a third time.

This last part is the troubling paragraph of your post.

The United States Army is the enforcement instrument of American foreign policy, and is effectively the police of the UN. For as long as we remain the leader of the free world, we will project our power into the world, hopefully for good. (In my opinion we have an excellent track record in that regard or I would not have sigend on the dotted line). Do not go in hoping that a few years from now deployments will speed up, slow down or stay the same. Just know that those who wear the uniform (even psychologists) do everything they do in the service of the mission--warfighting.

Boy this stuff just keeps on coming. Where did you think you might be doing your post-doctoral years (plural) after the Army pays for your PhD? To re-state what the recruiter should have already made clear-

HPSP is a scholarship wherein the military pays for 2-3 years of your PhD program, and in return, you are an active duty commissioned officer and psychologist. You owe them 3 years, POST LICENSE. They essentially guarantee you an internship, you stay on at the same MEDCEN until you have a license, then your payback begins.

It's not like you "get" to do your internship with them, go somewhere else to do a post doc if you feel like it, maybe come back, maybe not.

I'm not sure if we are on the "same page" exactly?

I was told my Major Lim the Clinical Psych. DCT that there are neuropsych, pediatric/child, health, and forensic post-docs available. My understanding is that this is how the army tries to get us to stay after our original commitment is up?

I'm not sure if we are on the "same page" exactly?

I was told my Major Lim the Clinical Psych. DCT that there are neuropsych, pediatric/child, health, and forensic post-docs available. My understanding is that this is how the army tries to get us to stay after our original commitment is up?

Yes, those post-doc's exist, but they are on active duty.

Yes, those post-doc's exist, but they are on active duty.

Could I do one of these post-docs during the original commitment (obviously post internship)? Or are they reserved for those that have just completed this commitment in an effort to "lure" them into staying?

Also, If I do my internship at BAMC for example. Can I only do post-docs that are offered at BAMC? Or could I go to another site (tripler, MAMC etc.) and do a post-doc that is only offered there.

Where are you at in the process currently? During, post-internship etc?

Can I send you a pm requesting your email in order to ask further questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could I do one of these post-docs during the original commitment (obviously post internship)? Or are they reserved for those that have just completed this commitment in an effort to "lure" them into staying?

Also, If I do my internship at BAMC for example. Can I only do post-docs that are offered at BAMC? Or could I go to another site (tripler, MAMC etc.) and do a post-doc that is only offered there.

Where are you at in the process currently? During, post-internship etc?

Can I send you a pm requesting your email in order to ask further questions?

It would have to be post-post-doc, since you now must complete another year at the same place you did your internship. At that point, I assume you can try to go wherever you want within Army clinical psychology.

I am a 4th year (about to start OBLC en route to internship at DDEAMC)

You can PM me with any questions you have, and they are only good for the Army, as the other two (Navy/AF) have their own idosyncracies.

Did you interview at the 5 sites when applying for internship? Did you have a preference and did the army care about your preference (e.g. rank ordering of sites). How do you feel about where you ended up?

Did you interview at the 5 sites when applying for internship? Did you have a preference and did the army care about your preference (e.g. rank ordering of sites). How do you feel about where you ended up?

1. You must apply to all 5 sites. It is a requirement of HPSP. You will interview with all of them, although some were phone interviews.

2. You must also rank them 1-5 during the APPIC match. This is also a requirement of the program. You may apply to civilian sites, (and rank them below 5) but you will probably not get one because the arithmetic of the HPSP program (on the recruiting side) is set up in such a way to "gaurantee" that you match with the Army.

3. I got my #3 choice, Dwight D Eisenhower Army Medical Center, Ft. Gordon, GA. It is a perfect fit for me (except geography) for a variety of reasons, mostly having to do with the philosophy of the director of training there and the training he sends his interns to.

How was it determined which sites you would interview in person versus on the phone? Im assuming most people want to go to Tripler? :)

How was it determined which sites you would interview in person versus on the phone? Im assuming most people want to go to Tripler? :)

Most people want to go where they think they will be a good match. I am not sure that is necessarily Tripler. As an Army intern you will be working 60+ hours a week, with not much time for beach combing. If geography is #1 in your decision matrix, you will be unhappy. Tripler was not my #1 choice.

As far as how they determine who gets what kind of interview, it is complicated.

For example, this year, Madigan put on an open house and the west coast HPSPer's were flown there at the government's expense. The Tripler DOT was in attendance so we all did face-to-face interviews with Madigan and Tripler. The other sites had open houses as well, but those of us on the west coast did not go unless we paid our own way, so I only did face-to-face interviews with those 2 sites. I was told that this was not the usual way they do it. So next year, it could be different.

However, if you were HPSP (not just a regular civilian applying to an Army site) you were invited to go to every site an interview face-to-face if you wanted. I just didn't go to all 5.

What are some examples of why a particular site would be a better match?

Im curious what the interviews were like. I assume they were low pressure as everyone knew they were getting a spot it was just a matter of where.

What did you think of the the applicant pool in general? Feel free to respond via PM.
I assume the people we will be spending internship with will make a huge difference. Is it really 60 hours a week you think?

What are some examples of why a particular site would be a better match?

Im curious what the interviews were like. I assume they were low pressure as everyone knew they were getting a spot it was just a matter of where.

What did you think of the the applicant pool in general? Feel free to respond via PM.
I assume the people we will be spending internship with will make a huge difference. Is it really 60 hours a week you think?

Examples would include: What rotations do you have to do? Are there any psychologists you really want to work with? Is there a particular population stationed there that you want to work with (Special Forces, Infantry, etc)? you get a feel for the DOT after talking to them and you like one better than another.

The interviews were not really low pressure, because you are not "guaranteed" a spot. Just really close. Some people in HPSP did not match this year. We all had an idea of which site we wanted so we tried to do well just like every other civilian does at their interviews. The Madigan one was pretty tough. There were actually 3 interviews- one with the DOT, one with 2 psychologists who asked about assessment and research experience, and another with 2 who gave a couple vignettes for you to conceptualize.

As far as applicants, they run the gammet like any one else. Some people I didn't think were serious about the Army, (and in my opnion should not be there) and others were totally on the ball. And everthing in the middle.

The reason the hours are long is because you have 2 sets of duties: 1. Psychologist intern. 2. Army officer. Do not underestimate #2. It is important.

Hello,
Do you guys have to get some therapy hours (at least 50 hours) as a requirement before graduation? My program requires that and i wonder if the therapy fees are reimbursable like books etc..

Hello,
Do you guys have to get some therapy hours (at least 50 hours) as a requirement before graduation? My program requires that and i wonder if the therapy fees are reimbursable like books etc..

The only thing they reimburse besides books and tuition is a laptop lease.

I think they should cover for anything that psych programs require... Oh well!

The only thing they reimburse besides books and tuition is a laptop lease.

This is incorrect. Chapter 7-10, item J. "psychotherapy- $100 per session (maximum 25 sessions) when required of all students and authorized by the army."

Recruiters often mention books and laptops being the only ones to be reimbursed. A recruiter told me once that the army would not reimburse psychotherapy hours.
Well Thanks American Red, that is great news for me! even if they only cover for 25 hours, that helps a lot :thumbup:

Recruiters often mention books and laptops being the only ones to be reimbursed. A recruiter told me once that the army would not reimburse psychotherapy hours.
Well Thanks American Red, that is great news for me! even if they only cover for 25 hours, that helps a lot :thumbup:

Indeed, that is very cool. Good save there (and actually reading that crazy handbook). My therapy was free, (I got it from the VA--I was a veteran at the time). So it wouldn't have mattered in my case. But that is pretty awesome for those who need to use that part of it.

Indeed, that is very cool. Good save there (and actually reading that crazy handbook). My therapy was free, (I got it from the VA--I was a veteran at the time). So it wouldn't have mattered in my case. But that is pretty awesome for those who need to use that part of it.

Hey
Did you get the chance to ask Army psychologists about their duties and experiences when they were deployed? For example I have heard that psychologists in Irak sometimes do go on patrols with soldiers to check on them in different areas in Irak. Is that true? Since you were a veteran i thought you might know!

Hey
Did you get the chance to ask Army psychologists about their duties and experiences when they were deployed? For example I have heard that psychologists in Irak sometimes do go on patrols with soldiers to check on them in different areas in Irak. Is that true? Since you were a veteran i thought you might know!

The best place to see Army psychology on deployments is to go back about 6-10 months (I think it was last summer) into the APA monitor. If you can't get it, find someone who subscribes to it. They did an entire issue on military psychology and featured articles about 5 psychologists that they followed around. It was really cool. I actually know 2 of them, since there are only about 100 active duty Army psychologists at any given time.

Thanks i will look for that magazine!

I have that magazine. I'm not sure if I scan and post it?

The best place to see Army psychology on deployments is to go back about 6-10 months (I think it was last summer) into the APA monitor. If you can't get it, find someone who subscribes to it. They did an entire issue on military psychology and featured articles about 5 psychologists that they followed around. It was really cool. I actually know 2 of them, since there are only about 100 active duty Army psychologists at any given time.

Funny how the Navy and Army have about 100 each and the Air Farce has about 200, something seem a little odd about that?

Mark

Funny how the Navy and Army have about 100 each and the Air Farce has about 200, something seem a little odd about that?

Mark

WHat is even funier about it is the Army is short and running shorter every year. Why are they not offereing CSAB for clinical psychology?

WHat is even funier about it is the Army is short and running shorter every year. Why are they not offereing CSAB for clinical psychology?

If the army has only 100 psychologists and are running shorter every year, do you guys think that the HPSP Clinical psy program is very competitive + the slots are limited???

If the army has only 100 psychologists and are running shorter every year, do you guys think that the HPSP Clinical psy program is very competitive + the slots are limited???

You have to remember we are in the midst of a wildly unpopular, dangerous war. I think the shortages are due to graduate students and licensed psychologists not wanting to go to Iraq and get blow up by an IED or be witness to combat-related trauma (PTSD).

Also, there is a growing negative stereotype that military psychologists may be involved in torturing/interrogating "unlawful combatants" (POWs). I don't know if there is any validity to this is but we all know that torture has occurred (e.g. Bagram, Abu Ghraib).

I don't think HPSP is extremely competitive. However, your recruiter will tell you that to meet the physical requirments alone (e.g. weight/ general health) the scholarship is already competitive without considering the extensive personal references/ letters of rec. that are required. A good friend of mine was highly qualified, and his father was a prior service psychiatrist, but he failed at MEPS due to weight.

You have to remember we are in the midst of a wildly unpopular, dangerous war. I think the shortages are due to graduate students and licensed psychologists not wanting to go to Iraq and get blow up by an IED or be witness to combat-related trauma (PTSD).

Also, there is a growing negative stereotype that military psychologists may be involved in torturing/interrogating "unlawful combatants" (POWs). I don't know if there is any validity to this is but we all know that torture has occurred (e.g. Bagram, Abu Ghraib).

I don't think HPSP is extremely competitive. However, your recruiter will tell you that to meet the physical requirments alone (e.g. weight/ general health) the scholarship is already competitive without considering the extensive personal references/ letters of rec. that are required. A good friend of mine was highly qualified, and his father was a prior service psychiatrist, but he failed at MEPS due to weight.

PLEASE tell me this is simply you objectively reporting on what others think. "We" don't "all know" that torture occurred at Abu Ghraib. If what happened there was torture, what do you call it when soldiers are beaten to within an inch of their lives and then have their heads sliced off inch by inch by terrorists with a video camera? REALLY BAD torture? Please don't use the word "torture" to describe taking humliating pictures of people when there are plenty of other more accurate words available in the English dictionary to describe it. It minimizes what the victims of torture have experienced.

PLEASE tell me this is simply you objectively reporting on what others think. "We" don't "all know" that torture occurred at Abu Ghraib. If what happened there was torture, what do you call it when soldiers are beaten to within an inch of their lives and then have their heads sliced off inch by inch by terrorists with a video camera? REALLY BAD torture? Please don't use the word "torture" to describe taking humliating pictures of people when there are plenty of other more accurate words available in the English dictionary to describe it. It minimizes what the victims of torture have experienced.

I will reply via PM so as not to derail this thread any further than I already have. I apologize. For anyone interested in my reply feel free to PM me and I will forward it to you.

Last edited:

Hey,
I have read articles where a few veterans reported that they had to torture prisoners for information. One can never know for sure if what they described really did happen the way they said it did. I agree with you that soldiers unfortunately experienced really bad torture like you say. I think what American Red tried to explain was that there are so many psychologists out there that do not want to be part of this. Especially when you have those extremist liberals that are skilled at making things look very nasty.

I will reply via PM so as not to derail this thread any further than I already have. I apologize. For anyone interested in my reply feel free to PM me and I will forward it to you.

I am interested in your reply. How do you PM someone? :confused:

I was able to figure out how to PM, Thanks... :)

Two quick article on APA's stance on the issue of psychologist interrogation:

http://www.apa.org/monitor/nov07/calltoaction.html

[FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial][FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial]"The roles of psychologists in settings in which detainees are deprived of adequate protection of their human rights, should be limited as health personnel to the provision of psychological treatment.".. [FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial][FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial]However, the group agreed unanimously that the council should discuss the amendment. After respectful yet vigorous and wideranging debate, the council voted by a large majority not to adopt this amendment."..

http://www.apa.org/monitor/oct07/stayinvolved.html

"[FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial][FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial]The view that psychologists must stay at military-run sites was most forcefully expressed by Navy Capt. Morgan T. Sammons, PhD, who argued that psychologists can help prevent interrogators from straying into brutality."

"
.[FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial][FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial]Several other psychologists presented an opposing view: that psychologists cannot practice ethically in places where international human rights standards do not apply and that they should avoid any role in interrogations at such places as CIA "black sites" and Guantanamo.

.[FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial][FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial]Steven Reisner, PhD, of Columbia University, said that a recently declassified report from the Department of Defense Office of the Inspector General found that psychologists helped facilitate the abuse of detainees by teaching, supervising and guiding abusive interrogation techniques derived from SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape). SERE trains U.S. service members to resist torture from interrogators who use physically and mentally coercive interrogation techniques, Reisner said.

.[FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial][FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial]At the same session featuring Sammons and Reisner, two veteran interrogators said that psychologists should remain involved in the overall process, and that the larger discipline of psychology can build support for "rapport-based interrogations" in which interrogators patiently develop relationships with detainees and gradually persuade them to give up information...[FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial][FONT=verdana, sans serif, helvetica, arial]"

Hey is anyone going to APA? I realize this may be weird, but im a poor grad student. The cheapest flight i have found is $350 bucks. The hotels are through the roof. And I havnt even registered yet. Im presenting, so I dont want to duck out of it. If only the Army would have started me this summer rather than fall, I would be OK. So is anyone one else going? I am trying to cut down on the cost of a room.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2008/06/behalf.html

"Thanks in part to concerted APA advocacy, Congress recently authorized special pay for military psychologists and other health professions officers. Not only will this pay acknowledge military psychologists for their service, but it will also enhance recruitment and retention efforts for critically needed mental health providers in the military. In a recent letter, the U.S. assistant secretary of defense for health affairs recognized APA's concern for service members and their families and assured APA that the military services are in the midst of developing an implementation plan for the special pay."