Clinical Psychology & Related Fields

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuro-Dr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This Forum is for Neuropsychology/Forensic/Clinical Questions

I am a neuropsychologist that has been practicing for 8 years. My background is primarily pediatric and I work at an outpatient neurology/neurosurgery group. I am also an assistant professor of clinical psychology at a University and am boarded in neuropsychology. Please feel free to post questions in the general field of clinical psychology as well.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the typical path to this specialty? Where does the neuropsychologist "fit in" among neurologists and neurosurgeons (when do you get involved with patients)? Is this a growing field / discipline?

The traditional path is a degree from a clinical program with specialty training in neuropsychology. There are a little over 40 programs listed through Div 40 of the APA or you can compare the program to the guidelines set out at the Houston Conference (available on www.theabcn.com). An APA-internship and two year fellowship in neuropsychology. Others have done slightly different training models and there is some flexibility in this provided a strong background in neuroanatomy/neuropathology is gained. I work at two outpatient neurology/neurosurgery practices and get referrals from them and from fam docs/peds out of house. In medical cases we evaluate kids for attention/memory problems in epilepsy, cog deficits from TBI, and then anything from Autism to ADHD, Dyslexia.

What have been the benefits (in treating patients, in personal life, in career, etc.) of specializing in neuropsychiatry as opposed to just psychiatry or neurology?

My specialty is in neuropsychology, so I can't speak to that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am currently an undergraduate student of neuroscience and psychology, and am trying to figure out whether the field of Clinical psych (with an emphasis in neuropsychology) is the right path for me to follow.

Would you mind outlining what a typical day for you is like?

Also, are there any internships/volunteer experiences you recommend that might shed some light as to whether this is the field for me?

(I've worked in several psychology labs as a research assistant, and also been a pathology undergrad fellow in the hospital system morgue...but neither of these is really that similar to what I have read neuropsych is all about).

Thanks so much for your help!

My day might not be typical of most NPs, but I mainly practice. I'm at an outpatient neurology clinc 3-4 days per week where i see patients with a variety of medical conditions from TBI, Seizures, Dementia to more MH-ish stuff like ADHD/Dyslexia/Autism. I do primarily evaluations, in which I do the intake, orders the tests (done by techs) and then follow-up visits with patients and families. Thus our practice is mainly consultations. Some NPs do treatment with their patients ranging from cog rehab to more therapy based. I do pharm research and my end is administration of the cog measures used for outcome. I do outpatients research on ADHD/Dyslexia/Autism and our department does MS, dementia research as well. We mainly do posters, but articles are done on occasion.

I teach two days per week, this include med students and grad psych. I teach peds NP, and neuroanatomy for psych.

Many NPs are more research oriented, and their experiences would vary.

We routinely get undergrads who come in to observe/shadow or help in data collection so there should be opportunities for you through your department.

It seems that both psychiatrists and neurologists consult neuropsychologists. How do these two specialties differ in terms of the questions they ask? Where I went to medical school, the two departments actually had their own separate NP services, though this was likely due to political problems more than anything else. At other places, it seems that the NP service is owned by either one or the other department. I'm curious to know how this gets decided and what the ramifications are when it is one or the other.

I've seen it both ways as well. I would still say that the typical housing for this department is in neurology or psychology in most hospitals. It's use does depend a little more on what the hospital or health care facility does with referrals. NP's do a fair amount of testing for dementing disorders and is psychiatry gets those cases, then NPs will be pretty actively involved. If the research done on those conditions is done through psychiatry, same thing.

For me, referrals from psychiatry tend to be kids where there are vague "soft" neurological signs but also MH issues (Autism, Asperger's ADHD vs. Bipolar) or when a known MH kid also has learning issues.

Neurology tends to refer dementia, seizures, dyslexia, TBI and the like. Neurology also tends to have more of the forensic work - TBI secondary to MVA for example.

Many people have told me that to pursue a PhD in neuropsychology and not get an MD is a major hindrance because neurologists are in charge, so the MDs end up interacting with the patients while the NPs end up only seeing data, analyzing it, and handing it off to the MDs (much like the interaction between ObGyns and pathologists)- is this true or is it just a proselytic effort on the part of the MDs? In your experience, has not having an MD been a detriment?

Thanks for your help once again,
-B.

I've nevere heard or seen it operate in such fashion. You will always see the patient, order your own procedures and follow up. If you are in an office where you work neurology and neurosurgery, then they may refer to you and have there own set of needs/requests. I have never been treated as anyones assistant. The average salary based on the 2003 practice survey was $104K-110K at 5 years out and the upper 5% was $200K+ so I don't why anyone would feel inferior based on any variable.

If your passion is in movement disorders, infections/toxic/metabolic conditions then neurology is for you. If you passion is the assessment and treatment of dementing disorders, pediatric conditions, and the like then neuropsychology is a better fit. If you like to cut, be a surgeon. I wouldn't over think it past that and I certainly would not let the opinions of others stop me from doing what you want in this world. Good luck.

Just wondering if you could explain a little more about what your involvement with forensic psychology has been and what a typical day would be like for someone working in this area.

Is it primarily criminal cases you get involved in, or would it be possible to carve out a niche and focus on civil cases with issues like pain and suffering, emotional damage, etc.

I don't do much criminal work anymore. Typically the cases I see are IMEs for toxic exposure, personal injury or disability. We see a large number of TBI patients sueing after motor vehicle accidents, so these are all civil. I've done some work with divorce/custody cases as well.

My field is NP, so the forensic work is a direct result of the clinical referrals I get as well as attornies who like my work a consult with me for the specific purpose of litigation.

Most forensic folks do similar work but may be involved on the criminal side with death penalty cases and diminsihed capacity cases. These folks are on judge lists and are hired by the courts.

I guess it would depend on what specialty in medicine you obtained. Psychiatry still does mainly med management, and some procedures such as EEG, EKG (rarely), blood work and ECT. Psychology does more standardized cognitive and personality testing and therapy.

In neurology, the proceduers are expanded to include MRI, CT, PET, fMRI, EMG and ERP as well as treatment of varied neurological conditions. Neuropsychology deals more with cognitive functioning and personality changes related to various neuropathological condiditions and treatement, both refer to each other and are often housed together.

At this point, most neuropsychologists have a degree in clinicla with a neuro specialty, not a PhD in neuro since that is not eligible for APA-accreditation.

Greetings, I am curious about the MD psychiatry versus the PhD program. What are your thoughts on the pros/cons of either degree? How is the physician role different than the neuropsychologist? How do the roles complement each other? Is is possible to get teh PhD in clinical psych with a concentration in neuropsychology vs PhD in Neuropsych?

I am trying to determine how to successfully present myself to schools with Neuropsychology programs. Right now I am one and a half semesters away from earning a Masters degree in Visual Arts. In my artwork I try to understand the workings of the human mind and to capture ideas and memories in order to express them visually or in words. Over time my interest in the mind has developed into serious concern for science. After earning my Masters I would like to apply to Ph.D. programs in Neuropsychology, but I do not have psychology prerequisites from my undergrad nor do I have research experience. I am not as concerned about the GRE’s as I generally do well on standardized tests when I study. My GPA is decent, but my courses did not directly relate to psychology or neurology. Do you have any advice for someone like myself who has the interest and passion, but not the experience. I am happy to do post-bac courses, but I don’t really know where to begin.

It is really hard to say. If you are applying to Clinical programs with neuro emphasis then it may be less of an issue. If you are applying because you want to eventually practice, apply to PsyD programs because they will care less that you have no clinical or research experience. If all else fails, volunteer through the school you go to in one of the labs to gain some experience and take your pre reqs.

I'm a bit confused about the difference between the NP programs that are out there and the Clinical Psych programs that say you can specialize in NP.

I'm 100% sure that I want to be a clinical neuropsychologist who does some research on the side, and not just a researcher who never has any patient contact. Nor a clinical psychologist who councils depressed adolescents.

Is one program better tailored to clinical NP than the other? Which would you opt for?

Also, if as far as preparing for grad school admissions in NP, is it necessary that you do NP research in specific? I'm interested in memory loss and have been doing fMRI neuro research in learning, but do I need to subspecialize in a NP lab in order to be considered for admission?

Thanks again,
B.

There are very few NP PhDs anymore. Most are Clinical with an organized NP track. Check Div 40 website for specific programs. Most are a little more practice oriented than the average PHD in Clinical so it shouldn't be an issue.

You don't need previous NP research since your applying to a clinical program, but every little bit helps.

The grades are still considered the most important factor when gaining admission to any psychology doctoral program and that will be difficult to overcome. If you have fantastic GRE scores (1400+) this would help alot as it would allow you to convince programs that you have what it takes. Applying for a masters degree might be more attainable and allow you to build a credible graduate record.
Most test manufacturers will use clinicians to aquire the clinical data, but you could get a position working there. I don't know much about these positions other than they are looking for stats and test design backgrounds.

NP's are doctoral-level clinicians and you certainly could not practice without one. You could become a psychometrists, but this would not involve any interpretation.

See Div 40 of the APA for more info on NP requirements.

Hi,

I had an awful first few credits in college -- my GPA hovers around 2.5 with a few Fs and about 12 Ws from various illnesses. Do schools let you retake grades and do they care about Ws on transcripts or do they follow an AMCAS-like system?

Is it possible to just do testing? I am in love with psychometrics and would love to work for Hartcourt working on the next WAIS one day.

Must you be a neuropsychologist to do neuropsychological testing? Or can you just have a PhD in psychology? How do you get to officially call yourself a neuropsychologist? What is the best route to take to be able to give neuropsychological examinations? I am not really interested in doing therapy -- just exams -- if possible.

Thanks.

Do you do biofeedback? I am interested in a decree in clinical psychology with an emphasis in somatics, especially working with the mind-body connection and using the mind to destress and work with the body in healing and overcoming pain and circumstances.

I don't do any but I have colleagues who do. Spalding has a health psych track and it might be worth investigating.

Hi,

I have a question concerning graduate programs:
Is it very important WHERE one went for graduate school? My honours supervisor for example would really like to see me at Penn for grad school, but since it is in general rather research intensive and does not really offer too many possibilities for concentrating on clin. neuropsyc would it be a big mistake to go there or to comparable programs if the ultimate goal is clinical neuropsychology?

That is sort of a yes and no question. Penn hs excellent fellowships in NP in the brain lab and medical school. Drexel is in the area and has a very well thought out NP program, which used to be a PhD in neuro, not clinical. The Houston Conference Guidelines provide the most clear understandind of desired training in the area of NP and can be accessed on www.theabcn.org. I would go to a program that offers the recommended foundation areas ata minimum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about diagnosing ADHD in children:

In my graduate program, we did some pretty extensive child assessments (partly because we could, but I also believed they provided more information to come up with valid diagnoses). In doing an ADHD assessment, for example, we might use behavioral report measures (parent & teacher) both for ADHD (i.e. ADDES, or BASC) and Executive Functioning (i.e. the BRIEF), in addition to tests thought to measure components of attention and executive functioning: TEA-Ch, D-KEFS, CPT, tower of london, etc.

Now I'm working at an outpatient mental health clinic and find psychologists who typically diagnose ADHD with just a symptom checklist from the parents and occasionally a consult with the teacher. For some reason, this kind of irks me. I know that the DSM-IV symptom criteria are all based on behaviors rated by parents and teachers, but don't neuropsychological tests provide any additional diagnostic validity or useful insights for treatment? Shouldn't we be using them? I couldn't find much information in a brief literature search; your thoughts are welcome.

LP

Well, I guess the answer would be yes and no. I tend to approach ADHD as both a diagnosis of exclusion and as a possible co-morbid condition. If you follow the most recent literature, the co-morbidity of ADHD with ODD, MDD, Anx, BP is around 40-45%. If LD is included, it goes up to 60%. This means that most referrals with an indication for ADHD have some comorbidity. My own base rates are a little lower, but I work at a neurology clinical and not MH.

Rating scales have a sensitivity rate over 80%, but overall correct classification rate of 80-85% in ADHD versus nothing and much lower (around 60%) when it is ADHD versus other MH. Meaning, most kids with ADHD will elevate the rating scales, but so will kids with many other conditions. My belief in assessment is that you need things like the PIC-2/PIY to rule out co-morbid MH conditions and WISC-IV/WJ-III/WIAT-II to rule out LD. So, those are always part of my ADHD referral batteries.

The CPT, TEA-CH and BRIEF are pretty sensitive to ADHD and specific to that disorder, with perhaps less so in cases of LD. In addition, they don't rely on opinion. If all you do is rating scales in a kid who is driving parents and teachers nuts and your scales have no validity indicators, then you have no objective methods to hang your hat on.

As for your other question, do NP instruments have adaquate sensitivity in ADHD? Remeber, this is a low biological insult condition, meaning at worst, the NP impairments would be mild, we aren't expecting impairment in attention to be at the level it would in TBI for example. The literature suggests that 70% will show impairment on one or more NP exec func instruments, but I'm not sure any one instrument is diagnostically all that accurate on its own.

So, if you ruled out LD with WISC-IV/WJ-III, got ADHD symptom data with parent and teacher rating scales, objective data with CPT/TEA-CH, and ruled out MH with PIC-2, this would be a thoughtful evaluation in my opinion. You could add or subtract based on the history.

I'm a bit confused. I'm finishing up on my undergrad, and seriously looking into graduate schools. I have volunteered in a Neuroscience clinic for my practicum and have decided that it is what I want to do in the future.

My question is, is it necessary to get into a NP PhD program? Or would it be enough to just get a clinical psyD (what I am really interested in getting), and then get a NP postdoc fellowship for 2 years? :rolleyes:

It would be fine to do either, but if you don't have the grad background in neuropsych, you won't get an internship or post doc in the area. There are only about 80 post docs in the US and they don't all have open spots each year. What is your ultimate goal??

Neuro-Dr,

After reading the description of your typical week, I want to be you! :laugh:

I'm planning on applying to Clinical Psych Ph.D. programs with a Neuropsychology specialty. You mention doing 3-4 days per week of clinical work, and teaching some classes as an assistant professor. What was the research/clinical breakdown of the program where you earned your Ph.D.? If someone wanted a professional situation similar to yours, would you recommend schools with similar research/clinical leanings to your alma matter?

Thanks!

Well thanks, I enjoy things most days. My research was limited in grad school and picked up a bit beyond. I want to stay a little more ananymous, but would tell you that many of us seek med school appointments to avoid spending a lot of time publishing. If you load yourself too much in academia, the pay suffers and you end up sacrificing your clinical work. I don't do as much forensics so the clinical is the bulk of my income.

You don't need the research background as much to do NP, you are either going to end up in a program that has a mentor model, lots of time with notable faculty member or a clinical model, lots of coursework in NP. I recommend the latter and that is much more consistent with my training. Does that help?

I'm from the Philippines and we only have around two licensed neuropsychologists here. I really want to contribute to the development of the practice here, and so I plan on being a licensed NP (in the US, since it's the only place where a degree in neuropsychology is being offered) and coming back here to practice. Would it be advisable to go into a clinical PsyD program in a university with faculty members that specialize in neuropsych? I'm really interested in the PGSP-Stanford PsyD curriculum. Can someone who has a PsyD (as opposed to a PhD) be a successful neuropsychologist? I'm really not that enthusiastic about research :)

Well, I have two thoughts, the first is that of course a PsyD can be a neuropsychologist and a growing percentage are PsyDs, including previous NAN presidents. The second is that you should inquire about the ability of a PsyD to get licensed in the Philipines since that is unknown to me.

On a different note, I was initially interested in being a Psychiatrist but the reason why I abandoned that idea was because I wanted to actually help make people's lives better through their own efforts and not just prescribe drugs left and right, leaving them dependent on drugs. How does being an NP make patients' lives better? I've interned in a geriatric NP ward and have seen patients with dementia and given them tests. It was just so depressing, like there was nothing in the world I could do to make them lucid again, and it was difficult to see their family members hope that the doctors could do something to "cure" their loved ones. I would definitely not want to enter into a profession that is filled with this. :) Thanks so much for your help!

I think that most NPs are involved with establishing dx clarity and effective treatment recommendations. Our geriatric NP (I am peds) has been involved with new mediciation for Alzheimer's disease and assessment of need in patients, he also helps the families cope and plan for long term care of their loved ones. The families are extremely appreciative and his services is the most critical.

What do you think is the job outlook for neuropsychologists? Is it possible for someone to be a neuropsychologist and a MD ( neurologist, psychiatrist or neuropsychiatrist)?:eek:

The job outlook is the highest subspecialty in psychology and the pay is the highest. Sweet et al, Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 2003 has the latest practice survey and you can get more info there. I know of no neuropsychologists who are also neurologists except perhaps a foreign trained PhD with a US medical license.

I am interested in a career in clinical neuropsychology. Is it vital that the program has a specialized NP track or is it enough if you can fulfill the div 40's course requirements for NP? Furthermore, how important is it that your research mentor is doing NP research? I am asking since I am considering the Rutgers PhD program. My current research supervisor has accepted an offer in the psych department there and is starting a very interesting interdisciplinary longitudinal study that is mostly focused on mood disorders and anxiety, though. I for myself see my practice interests later on rather in NP but working on this study would be quite interesting.

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it :)

You should consult the Houston Conference Guidelines for the best and most clear understanding of the requirements. this can be found at www.theabcn.org. It is not vital that you do research in the area. There seem to be two paths, one loaded with coursework in an organized sequence and one that still follows more of a guild system, where students do some coursework and mostly work under a senior NP. The former is much easier to justify and does not tie you to one relationship. I know people from Rutgers and you should be fine in either the PhD or PsyD program. Good luck.

Right now I am at the beginning of my 3rd year in my clinical Psy. D. program at Immaculata University. I have realized over the past 3 years that my interests are leaning more in the field of neuropsychology. Immaculata offers an advanced proficiency certificate in neuropsychology, which I am aiming to try and achieve. My question is, do you think the certificate (coupled with neuropsych oriented practicums, dissertation, and internship) would be considered as sufficient for applying, and hopefully securing, a neuropsych postdoc? Or would I need to try and do a postdoc certificate, say PCOM's Clinical Neuropsych Certificate?

Any advise you offer is helpful! These threads on this forum you have been assisting with are also very helpful and I thank you for the insight!

Yes, along with an APA-accredited internship with a rotation in NP, you should be in good shape.

Neuropsychology has interested me since I first learned of the career... problem is, I have a fear of public speaking. I have even seen a psychiatrist about it. He prescribed a beta blocker, and I have used it for a few presentations that I have given, but it isn't very effective (but still better than nothing). Thus far, the more I present, the greater my fear of presenting (so, yeah, simply encountering my fear is not doing it). Should I consider a career other than clinical neuropsychology? Just thinking of all the presentations I'd have to do during grad school makes me sick. I'm considering doing a PsyD that doesn't require a dissertation, if such a thing exists...

Thanks for any input.

I'm not sure any path in psychology is going to have any more or less presenting. Most PsyD programs require a dissertation or Clinical Research Project. You will improve the longer you stay with it despite the discomfort. I n grad school, you know everyone in your program for the most part and so that helps. If you can dream it, you can do it.

I know this type of question keeps getting asked repeatedly, but it is just something I wanted to clarify.

I am currently a senior psych undergrad looking at schools to apply to in the next few months. I understand that it is possible to get sufficient neuropsych training even in programs that do not offer a specific neuropsych track (mainly by taking whatever neuro type classes may be offered.) My question is, do clinical programs frown upon admitting students who they know will be taking lots of classes outside of the "typical" clinical psych realm? Some of my favorite schools make no real mention of clinical neuropsych anywhere on their website, but all of them have neuropsych programs/med schools where I know I could get the type of training I would need. Basically, how open are most schools to allowing a clinical psych student to take classes outside of the department?

My second question is one that you have already kind of answered. How important is it to have a faculty mentor who is also involved in clinical neuropsych? If most of my research focuses on areas outside of NP, but I do take all the required NP classes, will that be sufficient for securing an NP internship?

I'm sorry for the barrage of questions... This forum has been invaluable to me, and I really want to thank you for the great help you have provided!!

-Andrew

All programs expect students to use their electives as they want and most will aloow some classes outside of the department. Luckily, unless it is straight neurosciences, they fall into clinical anyway. If you do not have an organized and sequential series of courses with outcome measures, you need to be under a np as a preceptor or advisor. Try this link for more data.
http://www.div40.org/ANST/ANST_NP_training_Issues_INS_Jan_25_06.ppt

First, I just want to thank you for this awesome service you have provided... I have lots of questions, but I'll just start with the most obvious one first.

How do programs generally view students who delay grad school by a year? I will graduate this coming spring (2009), but I do not want to go straight to graduate school. I plan to travel through South America for most of that year, and maybe just work an odd job once I get back to pass the time until fall sessions begin. Do schools see this type of hiatus as a lack of commitment? For what it's worth, the rest of my application would prove that I have no lack of commitment... high gpa, 2 years of research, a poster presentation, etc... I just feel that now is the only time I will ever have such an opportunity to travel, and I should take it. Thanks in advance!

I don't think most will care too much, particularly if you have some rationale as to why.

Hi

I have 2 questions. First, I am in the last year of my PsyD program, working on my dissertation (in NP under the director of a senior NP) and completing a 2-year half time internship in community mental health. I have had one practicum year in NP at a major teaching hospital (Ivy-league affiliated) and I have continued to work at this hospital with the director of NP services on my dissertation and on her research. The internship I am in does not have an NP rotations; it has submitted for APA approval but there is no guarantee that it will happen before I graduate. Therefore, I either have to apply for and APA internship this summer or forego the APA approval and apply for post-docs in the winter (my school does not require APA). My mentor in NP has suggested I skip the internship, as she feels my training is adequate to secure a postdoc. My course work in NP is minimal; almost all of my training as been through this mentorship. So, my question is, how likely do you think it is to get a post doc without an APA internship, specifically with my credentials.

My second question is not related. I'm wondering if you could just say a bit about the demand for NPs. Would you say there is a greater demand for either pediatric or adult work?

Thanks so much!

I don't want to over-rule your advisor since they know more of the detail. If you were on internship at the time of the SITE EVALUATION, then it will be retroactive to you even if they get it after you are gone. See this link for other opinions on the matter:
http://www.div40.org/ANST/ANST_NP_training_Issues_INS_Jan_25_06.ppt

I think that there is a fair amount of demand for NPs with maybe more in peds. About 10% of all NPs list thenselves as pediatric oriented, so there is always a need. The salaries are much higher and the job satisfaction is quite high, so all indicators are good.

What are the differences in what you can do with a Clinical PhD with a NP focus compared to a PhD in NP? Is the later a academic track only? Is the only difference being able to practice with the Clinical degree?

There are only a few PhD programs in NP left because the APA will not accredit them. Most, even Drexel, UAB and Houston are moving to a more standard basic clinical curriculum. They really are not geared to academics any more than clinical. You need to go to an APA accredited program and if you do, it will have the basic Clinical courses.

Hi, I'm a Ph.D student in Neuroscience in a University in the States. My thesis work is on neural basis of vision, reward, and movement using non-human awake behaving primates. I've gone through 4 years in my program, and am expecting to graduate sometime next year. While I was sutyding, I've developed interest in neuropsychology. Since I'll be getting my Ph.D in Neuroscience, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to have another dgree in related field (i.e., neuropsyhology). If it's not possible, is there any way that I can practice as a neuropsychologist?

FYI. I'm a permanent resident in the States, but graduated college in foreign country, if it changes something..

Thank you in advance!

I know a fair number of folks with allied degrees who practice in the area of neuropsychology. However, it depends on what you want to do. All neuropsychologists have coursework sufficient to allow them licensure at the state level as psychologists. Thus, to bill insurnace for services, obtain tests (not all) and call yourself a neuropsychologists, you would need a license. My strong suspicion is that yours is a research degree and would not lead to licensure. You can respecialize by earning a PhD or PsyD in clinical or neuropsychology. My guess is that would take another 5-7 years as they require a one year internship and two year residency/fellowship in neuropsychology.
What are your ultimate goals?

I am a junior in college with a major in psychology and minor in biology. I have been considering a career in neuropsychology versus a career in neuropsychiatry. Now that I am a junior, I WANT to become a clinical neuropsychologist. Do you believe that there are increasing opportunities for clinical neuropsychologists? Are there opportunites for clinical neuropsychologists in the federal government? Is it possible for clinical neuropsychologists to have a career involving no research, but tons of clinicals?

Thank you SO much for your imput.:)

This has been addressed a fair amount in the Psychology Forum (PhD/PsyD not MA) so I would search there. Neuropsychiatry is a whole different animal. As for Clinical NP, Jerry Sweet has a practice article in Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology (2003) that can give you a wealth of data on job market and such. It also breaks down research verus clinical. I might add that neuro probably has more practitioners than any other discipline by percentage.
Good Luck

Dear Neuro-Dr.,

I am planning on obtaining my Ph.D. in Neuroscience. But, what would I have to do to obtain the necessary requirements post doc, to become a Neuropsychologist?

Thanks,

JNeuro

I know a fair number of folks with allied degrees who practice in the area of neuropsychology. However, it depends on what you want to do. All neuropsychologists have coursework sufficient to allow them licensure at the state level as psychologists. Thus, to bill insurnace for services, obtain tests (not all) and call yourself a neuropsychologists, you would need a license. My strong suspicion is that yours is a research degree and would not lead to licensure. You can respecialize by earning a PhD or PsyD in clinical or neuropsychology. My guess is that would take another 5-7 years as they require a one year internship and two year residency/fellowship in neuropsychology.
What are your ultimate goals?

Hi,
I'm a graduate student in clinical psych. I just started grad school this past fall, and I am just not "meshing" with my advisor. We seem to have very different personalities, and we seem to see things differently. No matter what I say, I seem to say the wrong thing. I have tried talking to her, explaining myself, taking different approaches, but nothing seems to work. She's very abrupt and sometimes, inappropriate. She also seems to shut down my research ideas either overtly or passive-agressively.

I feel angry, because I didn't realize these things when I decided to come here. I acutally asked around about her and her extremely good feedback from others in the field. It's really strange, because she is very cold and sometimes mean.

I'm doing my best to hang in there, but I'm increasingly having thoughts about transferring schools. How common is it for graduate students to transfer? Is it a bad idea?

I just don't really know what to do...:confused:

I'm sorry to get back to you so late, but they turned off the notification system and so I thought there was nothing here. Why don't you send a PM and we can discuss.

Hello,
I'm thinking of becoming a NP.
I am currently a post-doc in a Ivy League College in Neuroscience, fully dedicated to research. I have a PhD in Kinesiology and a BSc in Psychology. But I'm getting a bit tired of the day to day routine of fundamental (theoretical) reseach and I would like to help people and put to use those nice theories we're inventing!

I would like to know if my schooling and experience would help me to complete a PsyD faster??? Are you aware of any schools that would, perhaps, wave some classes and perhaps the dissertation?? I fail to see what I'll get from a dissertation since I've been doing reseacrh for ~15 years!! I think I'd rather do some clinical work instead.

Thank you for your time!

Pat

Hi,
I am starting my graduate studies in child clinical psychology and I was wondering if you had any advice about how to prepare myself the summer before my studies start. I want to review my undergraduate work in developmental psychology but I thought maybe you had some suggestions about books or anything else. In the mean time I've started to research the area my dissertation will focus on..

Thanks!

I love the field of Neuroscience but cannot decide which profession I would like to pursue. I am deciding between a nurse working in the neuro unit or a neuropsychologist like you. Did you have a point in time when you did not know what career to go in with neuroscience? How did you know you wanted to be a psychologist of neuroscience and not a doctor a nurse?

Hello, I am currently getting a my masters in experimental psychology, but after that I had planned on applying to both medical schools and clinical psychology programs and see what turns up. Since I was a child I had wanted to be a forensic psychiatrist / psychologist, specializing in criminal law (my main interest being psychopaths and APD). I am most interested in evaluating defendants and possibly even profiling. However, thinking further about forensic psychology, I realize that I am far too interested in the biological bases of behavior and neural imaging studies to take on a completely cognitive perspective in my work. So my question is if I were to specialize in neuropsychology, what are my chances of being able to find work that fits my interestes in criminal forensics? Possibly working with law enforcement or a DA's office or any other options that may come to mind. I would hate to go into forensics and spend my life just counseling prisoners in jail. Thank you much.

-Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.