Clinical Research not as valuable as science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorLacrosse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I searched and haven't found anything recent. In past threads I think I remember seeing people saying that in the eyes of Adcoms, basic science/bench research is viewed as much better than clinical research. Is this really true?

I ask because I currently do clinical research in the emergency department of a big hospital where I'm from. I have ZERO significant basic science research, and frankly am not too interested in it. I get to do research and converse with patients all day. Wouldn't this be even better? or Will this hurt me at all? I need to have my app be as good as possible due to my lower GPA. I'll have two years total by the time I apply, and no pubs most likely. Anyone have any insight on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any hypothesis driven research is valuable. Do what you can get that interests you. Publications are the icing on the cake.

Doesn't matter at this level. Residency applications might be a different story.

Sounds good to me. One interviewer and I talked about my research (I've done basic science and clinical) and after telling him about my experience I asked him which he thought was more beneficial for applicants. He said it didn't make much difference because the knowledge base of most premeds isn't significant enough to accomplish a whole lot. I'm inclined to believe him. Columbia MD, WashU for ortho.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Doesn't matter at this level. Residency applications might be a different story.

I'm extremely glad to hear that. really didn't want to have to seek out another position right now that I don't have time for with work.

On that subject though, what do residency programs prefer?

Sounds good to me. One interviewer and I talked about my research (I've done basic science and clinical) and after telling him about my experience I asked him which he thought was more beneficial for applicants. He said it didn't make much difference because the knowledge base of most premeds isn't significant enough to accomplish a whole lot. I'm inclined to believe him. Columbia MD, WashU for ortho.

haha thank goodness. and whoa, impressive credentials. I'll have to take his word for it also lol

haha thank goodness. and whoa, impressive credentials. I'll have to take his word for it also lol

Yea I got more nervous when I saw the diplomas on the wall in his office.

He had his UG on the wall too. Can't remember which school but I do remember it being one that is held in very high regard.

It's hard to be an independent clinical researcher when patients are involved with no MD or PhD. At best, you'll be analyzing data, interviewing participants, following up...it can be a worthwhile experience though because you get to work with patients and are involved in research simultaneously.

Basic science is much more suited towards leading a project.

Reactions: 1 user
So i can apply to schools that may emphasize research and be okay with what I'll have?

Good news from all, thanks for the responses.

I'm extremely glad to hear that. really didn't want to have to seek out another position right now that I don't have time for with work.

On that subject though, what do residency programs prefer?

For residency, it depends on what specialty you are interested in and what kind of program you want to match at. Some prefer basic science, others clinical, and others don't care.