Clinical Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

learnerforlife!

WCUCOM ‘26
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am an incoming 2nd year. I have the opportunity to meet with a STEM cell clinical researcher soon. I have no prior experience with research. I just know that I love patient interaction and that wet-lab based research does not sound appealing to me. I am really interested in STEM cells and cancer research.

I am going to meet with the researcher but am not sure what to expect during the meeting. I was hoping to reach out to you guys for any advice. I am so sorry if I ask any silly, rhetorical questions.

My research position is not finalized yet, and I am new to research (the physician knows I have no prior experience and is willing to meet with me). I am really nervous to meet up with them because I don't want to appear dull or unintelligent. I am definitely reading the physician's articles and understanding what they do.

What sort of tips can you guys give for a potential clinical researcher like me? In addition, I am interested in being published, but am not sure how to bring the topic up. I volunteer at a hospital every week and will start a shadowing program soon. Thank you for your time and help! It is very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Be yourself. Be honest. Be willing to work hard. You have zero research experience so your PI or someone in his lab will be taking time to train you. That's time not spent working. Appreciate that.

All PI's know that any med student in a lab wants to be published. Wait to see if he brings it up. Also, the longevity and time per week you're there will also be a factor.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I am an incoming 2nd year. I have the opportunity to meet with a STEM cell clinical researcher soon. I have no prior experience with research. I just know that I love patient interaction and that wet-lab based research does not sound appealing to me. I am really interested in STEM cells and cancer research.

I am going to meet with the researcher but am not sure what to expect during the meeting. I was hoping to reach out to you guys for any advice. I am so sorry if I ask any silly, rhetorical questions.

My research position is not finalized yet, and I am new to research (the physician knows I have no prior experience and is willing to meet with me). I am really nervous to meet up with them because I don't want to appear dull or unintelligent. I am definitely reading the physician's articles and understanding what they do.

What sort of tips can you guys give for a potential clinical researcher like me? In addition, I am interested in being published, but am not sure how to bring the topic up. I volunteer at a hospital every week and will start a shadowing program soon. Thank you for your time and help! It is very much appreciated.
Write everything down that you do.

Members don't see this ad :)

You might consider looking at PubMed to see what other manuscripts the researcher has published so you can review them and not walk into the interview clueless.

You might consider looking at PubMed to see what other manuscripts the researcher has published so you can review them and not walk into the interview clueless.

Sorry, this might be a dumb question, but if they said they want to meet sometime does that mean it's an official interview?

Sorry, this might be a dumb question, but if they said they want to meet sometime does that mean it's an official interview?
You don't need an "official interview" for unpaid (I assume) research work, so a first meeting worded in that way will probably be relaxed. Come knowing about the research and with an understanding of why you want to do research, how much time you can commit, etc. Don't prepare the way you would for an admissions interview, though.

if they said they want to meet sometime does that mean it's an official interview?
Phrased that way, I'd call it an informal meeting so you can eyeball each other. But, yeah, it's really an interview, so appear to be personable.

You might like to bring an unofficial transcript that shows how well you performed in classes your freshman year (in case of an inquiry). Some PIs won't take on someone with borderline grades, figuring the student doesn't need additional distractions.

Phrased that way, I'd call it an informal meeting so you can eyeball each other. But, yeah, it's really an interview, so appear to be personable.

You might like to bring an unofficial transcript that shows how well you performed in classes your freshman year (in case of an inquiry). Some PIs won't take on someone with borderline grades, figuring the student doesn't need additional distractions.

Would you say a 3.65 overall gpa is okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.