Clinical Rotation Sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vederosa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm having to plot out my clinical rotations, and I'm wondering what is the best plan of attack, or if there's some places to check out.

My first rotation is MS1 or Acute, and I have an interest in the following areas: Neuromuscular/Cardiopulmonary/Manual Therapy/Orthopeadics

Any suggestions?

thx!

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, the best way to get the most out of your clinicals:

Start with acute/subacute/SNF first.
Once you learn the more advanced stuff later on in PT school, then do neuro/peds/orthopedics/cardiopulm.

This way you can have more hands-on time vs. hand holding. In the earlier clinicals, it's best to really work on transfers, PROM, AROM, gait, use of assistive devices. These are the basics. No sense in doing any of the more advanced PT if you haven't truly learned them yet.

Whew, glad to hear you say that! My first clinical starts July 19th and it's acute/SNF. I picked it because I've never observed or volunteered in an inpatient/hospital setting. I'm really excited about it and can't wait to start! It's good to know that I can use the skills I've learned so far and then work my way up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whew, glad to hear you say that! My first clinical starts July 19th and it's acute/SNF. I picked it because I've never observed or volunteered in an inpatient/hospital setting. I'm really excited about it and can't wait to start! It's good to know that I can use the skills I've learned so far and then work my way up.

Yay for picking the shortest clinical to be acute :) that's my plan. Where are you going? I'm not a fan of inpatient. If I have to do it (and I know I will), I want to either doing inpatient at RIC/neuro setting or a Children's Memorial/working in peds. I am not a fan of inpatient ortho. that's just me though :)

I'm going to St. Joseph Hospital. I'm glad I get to stay in Chicago for my first clinical. Definitely excited to branch out though too. ;) Heh, those are definitely inpatients that I'd want as well! I'm not sure what I want to do yet, so I'm excited to be exposed to all the different clinical settings. ^_^

Generally, the best way to get the most out of your clinicals:

Start with acute/subacute/SNF first.
Once you learn the more advanced stuff later on in PT school, then do neuro/peds/orthopedics/cardiopulm.

This way you can have more hands-on time vs. hand holding. In the earlier clinicals, it's best to really work on transfers, PROM, AROM, gait, use of assistive devices. These are the basics. No sense in doing any of the more advanced PT if you haven't truly learned them yet.

Thanks for the info... helps plan out my course. I had hoped to do more than hand holding the first go round, since I've already been working on my transferring, ROM, gait and assisted devices, but probably will be good to get real patients rather than practice on classmates.

Most places don't seem interested in students until they are in their 2nd or 3rd rotation, maybe that's why...

Thanks for the info... helps plan out my course. I had hoped to do more than hand holding the first go round, since I've already been working on my transferring, ROM, gait and assisted devices, but probably will be good to get real patients rather than practice on classmates.

Most places don't seem interested in students until they are in their 2nd or 3rd rotation, maybe that's why...

No problem!

The earlier clinicals should reinforce what you have learned in PT school already (transfers, basic ther ex, gait training, assistive devices, SOAP notes, ROM, etc). Thus, you should be able to be independent in acute/subacute right away. Also, you get to learn how to work with the rehab team (OT, speech, MD, case manager, social worker, rec therapist, nurse, translators, lift teams, etc). Expectations are much lower earlier on so it is best to get the "easier" stuff out of the way.

Truthfully, the paper work seems to be the hardest.