Clinical rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted390966

How much of medical knowledge are you expected to know when you're on clinical rotations? At what level are you expected to function?

Members don't see this ad.

All of what you learned in pre-clinical. A high level because you're expected to cut your teeth.

Hmm I'm also curious about this. Obviously preclinical material should be grasped firmly but as far as clinical things go such as writing up charts, physicals, procedures, MDM, etc, I feel as if you would learn them during your rotations (and many schools have a intro to clinical rotations course prior or longitudinally). I would guess that the best teachers would guide you to the right clinical diagnosis etc using your preclinical knowledge here n there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you examine patients, come up with diagnoses and treatment plans (under supervision)?

Attendings be like

Good fund of knowledge, above expected level

Needs to read more

Reactions: 1 users
Do you examine patients, come up with diagnoses and treatment plans (under supervision)?

Yea, and not always under direct supervision. I work with a lot of 3rd yeas at the hospital I work at, and was surprised to see them often go as far basic procedures with an attending near by but not directly supervising. In the ER med students can dress wounds, sew up lacerations, and do other basic stuff.

How much of medical knowledge are you expected to know when you're on clinical rotations? At what level are you expected to function?

Depends on the rotation and depends on the clinical team you are with. You will learn and improve by attendings and residents pushing you and being a part of the treatment team. Unfortunately, you will hear reports on SDN and at schools of bad clinical rotations or entire clerkships. On the other hand, MS3 is the time to really start to learn how to function in the hospital and around patients. You would be amazed how terrible some people are at interviewing patients. Learning how to get information from a patient and family and then translating that into a coherent and concise story for other medical professionals is a skill and many that show up for residency don't have anything close to it.

Our expectations shift also as the year goes on. A July MS3 is very different than a May MS3. I expect in July that our MS3s show up on time, act professional and be ready to learn. I expect that if there is something educational going on, that they are around. If there isn't, I expect them to get the **** out of the hospital. I'm pretty blunt with our students (and my junior residents for that matter) on this regard, obviously not everyone is. Sometimes that means that they should be staying late. Sometimes that means leaving early and going to read or goof off or whatever. May MS3s should be able to carry 3-6 patients. They should know the details of the patient, even if I don't (I'm carrying 30+ patients). They should be able to give basic differentials for the common things on our service and a rudimentary treatment plan. You really want to start developing a sense of "Normal" vs. "Not Normal".

This is probably worth a read: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...etent-fool-on-rotations.988111/#post-13752337

All of what you learned in pre-clinical. A high level because you're expected to cut your teeth.

Nobody expects you to know everything you learned in pre-clinical. Most physicians don't use the basic science knowledge that they learned on a daily basis. Many will even comment that they have long since forgotten the details of things outside of their area.

Reactions: 5 users