Clinical Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trestles4u

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago, I saw a 29 yo w male involved in an MVA. No witnesses or history of what happened except that he was very drunk. Initially BP was 70 P 88. After 1500 cc of RL his BP was 120, P 80. He had abrasions over the RUQ and a fxd L tenth rib. CT showed a large hemoperitoneum with a Grade III liver laceration. I watched him, transfused two units of PRBC'c on day 4 for a Hct of 19 and d/c'd him on day ten. He had one temp spike of 101 on day 5 and evidence of a R pleural effusion that I tapped for 1500 cc of old bloody fluid. He returned on the 13th post trauma day with a fever of 101.6, a large r pleural effusion and a WBC of 16,000. After fluid, WBC was 9,000, CT showed less intrabdominal fluid and a healing liver. Thoracentesis showed the same bloody fluid with a Bilirubin of 20. HIDA scan shows a small leak in the liver collecting in the LUQ. I can't find much written on Bile leaks in this situation. My inclination is to watch him as he is stable and afebrile. Any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting...

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:06:52
Two weeks ago, I saw a 29 yo w male involved in an MVA. No witnesses or history of what happened except that he was very drunk. Initially BP was 70 P 88. After 1500 cc of RL his BP was 120, P 80. He had abrasions over the RUQ and a fxd L tenth rib. CT showed a large hemoperitoneum with a Grade III liver laceration. I watched him, transfused two units of PRBC'c on day 4 for a Hct of 19 and d/c'd him on day ten. He had one temp spike of 101 on day 5 and evidence of a R pleural effusion that I tapped for 1500 cc of old bloody fluid. He returned on the 13th post trauma day with a fever of 101.6, a large r pleural effusion and a WBC of 16,000. After fluid, WBC was 9,000, CT showed less intrabdominal fluid and a healing liver. Thoracentesis showed the same bloody fluid with a Bilirubin of 20. HIDA scan shows a small leak in the liver collecting in the LUQ. I can't find much written on Bile leaks in this situation. My inclination is to watch him as he is stable and afebrile. Any comments?

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 15:38:34
Bravo for your restraint and steadfast clear thinking with this patient. It is so easy to be rushed to "operate!" on blunt trauma, then find a very hard to manage liver laceration that could have been left alone to tamponade. Now I guess you could wait, though I suspect a CT guided drain will be needed, and more waiting.

http://www.trauma.org/archives/livert.html

LOL caught in a lie? :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Trestles4u, you are one strange cookie.....what have you got to say?

Yes, it is an interesting case...I thought it was provoking, so I reposted it here as well. So what is your opinion about the management of this case?

You're right, it's interesting, but the underlying key is that you should not pass this off as your own case.

No one ever stuck a drain in him???