Clinical volunteering and research enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteCoatSyndrome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising junior and have volunteered at a free health clinic over the course of the past year, volunteering for most of the summer and when I could get over there during the school year. I am currently researching as part of an REU at a large university as well.

I was wondering if volunteering at one place would suffice for clinical volunteering. Is it the number of experiences you have or the significance/time spent that matters? I have tried volunteer at the local hospital, but it has been very difficult to do because they have a minimum time that I must volunteer, which was difficult to fulfill during school. I also really enjoy volunteering at this clinic and there is a lot I can do there, as a result I would rather continue to stay there and gain different experiences than volunteer somewhere else.

Also, I don't plan on doing any research other than the REU that I am a part of right now. I will have done 2 poster presentations by the end of the REU. I attend a small liberal arts school with limited research capabilities, and with the MCAT coming up as well as other school and organizational obligations I will be very busy. Would this be enough research or should I do my best to try find more?

I am very involved with EC's and organizations at my school and spend a lot of time studying (I am not exceptionally intelligent), and have a 3.95 gpa right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Stay at the current clinic, as longevity is valued, and you continue to enjoy the experience. If you won't have very many hours by the time you're ready to apply, you might consider in addition looking for a gig at another health care facility closer to school, maybe a nursing home (tend to be more flexible), hospice, rahab center, or clinic (family-planning, VA, private)

As far as the research goes, I think it's good you tried it, even though it is of 3 months duration. Unless you're aiming for top ranked schools, you'll be fine with that. Compensate for the brevity with particular strength in sme other arena, like leadership, teaching, or nonmedical community service.

Don't forget to get in a shadowing experience.