Clinical vs. Community

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwannabpharmer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about going into clinical pharmacy vs. community. If you did community pharmacy for a few years, and wanted to go into clinical pharmacy - is that possible? Or is it a choice you have to make right out of school, and you have to stick with it? Sorry, I know this is may seem like a dumb question, but I am really wondering.

Because I would like to work in community pharmacy, but wanted to eventually either teach or get more involved in clinical pharmacy. However, due to commitments at work - if I sign up for a scholarship I will have to work for them for an X amount of years depending on how much scholarship money I take.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering about going into clinical pharmacy vs. community. If you did community pharmacy for a few years, and wanted to go into clinical pharmacy - is that possible? Or is it a choice you have to make right out of school, and you have to stick with it? Sorry, I know this is may seem like a dumb question, but I am really wondering.

Because I would like to work in community pharmacy, but wanted to eventually either teach or get more involved in clinical pharmacy. However, due to commitments at work - if I sign up for a scholarship I will have to work for them for an X amount of years depending on how much scholarship money I take.

If you can keep your skills up you can switch back and forth. Or like SDN1977 you can do both. But don't get her started on "clinical" pharmacy. (everything's clinical)

It's not a dumb question at all. I think the answer to your question really depends on the specific places you'd want to practice, but in general, for a "real" clinical job you'll have to do a 1 or(but more likely) 2 year residency for specialization. So... the clinical side may be what needs to be focused on first, or you may need to go back and do a residency, or something similar, later on. Although I"m not sure how that works once you've been out of school for a while

Members don't see this ad :)

Quite a lot of our pharmacy practice professors have had prior outside/community experience before they started teaching, and many of them also spend some time in a practice setting. So, if your plans do include teaching, I think the outside experience in community would be helpful.

If you can keep your skills up you can switch back and forth. Or like SDN1977 you can do both. But don't get her started on "clinical" pharmacy. (everything's clinical)

Yep - I say with a big grin on my face - everything in pharmacy is clinical:D !

And...most importantly - yes, you can do both inpatient, ambulatory care, closed door, consulting and academics. The broader your work background, the better you are as a pharmacist.

Anytime we interact with patients - even if all you're doing is givin brown bag lunch time talks at a senior center about medications and side effects - you're being clinical.

Its all in your mind;)

Oh....last week I was reimbursed $200 for management interventions relating to patients who were taking a particular medication. The first time anyone has actually paid me for my service unrelated to a product. Now...I didn't get the money, my company did - but its all the same - our reimbursement model is slowly changing.