Clinical vs Hybrid vs Staffing

Started by pharm B
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharm B

HansomWare
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In your experience, which role dominates the workforce right now? I'm seeing several positions with "residency required," regardless of the actual kind of position for which they're hiring.

On the opposite side of the coin, I've had the opportunity to sit in on a hiring interview where a residency graduate basically was trying to write his own paycheck. He felt he deserved more pay/more autonomy, and the director made it clear it wasn't going to happen, so they both moved on.
 
I'd say it depends on the institution. In my limited experience, small community hospitals are more staffing. Large community have some hybrid. Academic medical centers tend to split off into clinical vs staffers. My institution is trying to push the thought of a pharmacist is a pharmacist, but you can only really be good at so many things and with that I think in large centers, separate clinical and staffers makes sense.
 
I haven't seen too many "purely clinical" positions that someone with just a PGY1 can get nowadays, except in rural locations. Most people I know that aren't unemployed now either landed hybrid positions or went for PGY2s. A few people got positions that were purely staff, but that was mainly to stay in the VA system in anticipation of something better coming along.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess so, according to the DOP, they are planning on having us decentralized on the floors once we get Pyxis Profile on all floors, rounding, discharge counseling, etc.

That is probably more of a true hybrid type position. Experience is experience though so keep learning as much as you can.