Clinical vs research experience for PsyD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymous441210

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if a similar question to this one has already been asked. I'm hoping to apply to PsyD programs, but I don't have enough clinical or research experience yet to be a competitive applicant. While I imagine most programs would like applicants to have at least some research experience, how much research experience is needed for PsyD programs? I know program requirements differ, but in my research of programs/talking to admission counselors thus far, most PsyD programs I've looked into don't seem to expect applicants to have a ton of research experience. Is this true? Should I prioritize getting clinical experience over getting research experience? Part of my issue is that I'm currently unemployed, and I'm conflicted as to whether I should try to get a position as an RA or research coordinator, or if I should be focusing my efforts on applying to jobs that will allow me to obtain some sort of clinical experience? I'm definitely going to try to volunteer as well, but I feel like I need to make getting a job a top priority as I've been unemployed regularly for several years now (mostly due to mental health issues).

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It generally depends on the research experience and what it entails. Not all experience is equal. For example, doing data entry for a year is vastly different than running subjects and helping with analysis. 1-2 years of good research experience is generally enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if a similar question to this one has already been asked. I'm hoping to apply to PsyD programs, but I don't have enough clinical or research experience yet to be a competitive applicant. While I imagine most programs would like applicants to have at least some research experience, how much research experience is needed for PsyD programs? I know program requirements differ, but in my research of programs/talking to admission counselors thus far, most PsyD programs I've looked into don't seem to expect applicants to have a ton of research experience. Is this true? Should I prioritize getting clinical experience over getting research experience? Part of my issue is that I'm currently unemployed, and I'm conflicted as to whether I should try to get a position as an RA or research coordinator, or if I should be focusing my efforts on applying to jobs that will allow me to obtain some sort of clinical experience? I'm definitely going to try to volunteer as well, but I feel like I need to make getting a job a top priority as I've been unemployed regularly for several years now (mostly due to mental health issues).

Thanks so much.
WisNeuro was telegraphing this a bit, but the programs, both PhD and PsyD, that don't require substantive research experience aren't really reputable programs. The training will be poor and/or they will result in massive debt.

This is definitely not to say that there aren't any good or even great PsyD programs out there. It's just that even these PsyD programs are going to require you to have significant research experience to be competitive for admissions and will require you to complete research milestones that are basically on the order of balanced, funded PhD programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user