Clinical vs Retail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RexKD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but are these considered the two categories of practice for pharmacists?

Retail would encompass working in independent pharmacies as well as the larger chains (CVS, Walgreens, Osco).

Clinical would encompass working in hospitals, nursing homes, health clinics, etc.

Clinical pharmacy usually requires one year of residency, is slightly more competitive, and the pay is slightly higher.

Am I right in my assumptions?

Members don't see this ad.

RexKD said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but are these considered the two categories of practice for pharmacists?

Retail would encompass working in independent pharmacies as well as the larger chains (CVS, Walgreens, Osco).

Clinical would encompass working in hospitals, nursing homes, health clinics, etc.

Clinical pharmacy usually requires one year of residency, is slightly more competitive, and the pay is slightly higher.

add on...
Industrial = working for pharmaceutical companies doing research, etc.

I don't think clinical pays more. It varies.

RexKD said:

For a competetive clinical job, residency helps.. but to work in a hospital and /or clinical environment, u don't need a residency. Pay really is more dependent upon the location. Rural and difficult to hire areas will obviously pay more ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't even consider industrial. Thanks for bringing it up.

But only a small percentage of pharmacists would work in industry, right? About 5%?

Pay would be slightly lower than retail or clinical but there would be no hassles of dealing with patients?

RexKD said:

But only a small percentage of pharmacists would work in industry, right? About 5%?

Pay would be slightly lower than retail or clinical but there would be no hassles of dealing with patients?

So how exactly does the pay scale rank?

Is it retail>industrial>clinical?

How much does industrial pay?

also don't forget home infusion
nuclear etc.

You can't really categorize all the various practice areas of pharmacy within those categories...many areas of practice are profiled here:

The Pfizer Guide To Careers In Pharmacy

There is a downloadable Adobe Acrobat version in the lower left of the page.

LVPharm said:
You can't really categorize all the various practice areas of pharmacy within those categories...many areas of practice are profiled here:

well those are the ones that you can get into with just a pharmD. also 99% of pharmD go into either retail(96%), clinical(2%), industrial(1%), others(1%). i believe their the highest paying ones too.

RexKD said:

Yeah most pharmacists working in industry probably have a PhD as well and the pay is probably lower or about the same; unless they have a PharmD/MBA and are working in the administrative depts of the company pay could be higher (not sure). There are also PharmD/JD's who follow the law aspects of pharmacy and fight cases in health care.

LVPharm said:

The Pfizer Guide To Careers In Pharmacy

that is a very good book that really explains all the aspects of pharmacy...they gave that to use during our first semester at nova

Based on this definition of clinical pharmacy, all practice areas fall under the category of clinical pharmacy.

The term "clinical pharmacy" has come to describe a wide range of pharmacy practices that occur in a variety of settings, including health-systems, community pharmacies, clinics, pharmaceutical industry, and government agencies. Clinical Pharmacy incorporates the patient-oriented practices of pharmaceutical care as well as drug policy management, research, education and many other aspects within the field. As the scope of clinical pharmacy has grown, it has been less easy to capture in a simple definition. The range of topics included in the Encyclopedia of Clinical Pharmacy attest to the complexity and expansion of the clinical pharmacy practice

RexKD said: