Clinical Year in USA as an international medical student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hippiehiker

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here in Mexico we´re required to complete 4-5 years of theory (depending on the school), a 6th year of pre-graduate internship (clinical rotations), and a final 7th year of social service. The internship year requires us to rotate in IM, Surgery, Pediatrics, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Emergencies, and Family med (2 months each). I´m currently in my final year of theory and I´ve been emailing many programs that seem to be IMG-friendly in residencies but none of them seem to take in students for rotations.

Can someone shed some light on what hospitals offer all 6 rotations for international students?? Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

This is very difficult to do as many hospitals have signed on agreements with schools to take their medical students for rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
Here in Mexico we´re required to complete 4-5 years of theory (depending on the school), a 6th year of pre-graduate internship (clinical rotations), and a final 7th year of social service. The internship year requires us to rotate in IM, Surgery, Pediatrics, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Emergencies, and Family med (2 months each). I´m currently in my final year of theory and I´ve been emailing many programs that seem to be IMG-friendly in residencies but none of them seem to take in students for rotations.

Can someone shed some light on what hospitals offer all 6 rotations for international students?? Please help!

This is a complex request - you would need a hospital that not only agrees to let you shadow them, but has a mechanism for evaluating you and has an agreement in place to transfer evaluations to your school for credit. Is there is reason you can to do your core clerkships in the USA as opposed to in Mexico?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a complex request - you would need a hospital that not only agrees to let you shadow them, but has a mechanism for evaluating you and has an agreement in place to transfer evaluations to your school for credit. Is there is reason you can to do your core clerkships in the USA as opposed to in Mexico?

Primarily so I can get USCE as I am aiming to do my residency in the states. Originally, I was going to do an observership this summer at Miami Miller so by the time I graduated, I would´ve just dedicated my time to studying for the steps. But as the COVID-19 crisis hit, they cancelled my visit. So, I´m basically looking for USCE opportunities while staying on an ideal schedule.

There are far fewer opportunities for visiting students this year.
Chances for core clerkships are going to be very hard to find. We can barely get adequate clinical experience for our own students with the closure of many outpatient clinics and elective surgeries.
Let us know if you find something!

Reactions: 1 users
dmonge13

I know your struggle my friend. I am in Australia looking to do two fourth year electives in the states and I am having tremendous difficulty finding programs that accept visiting students from schools that are not LCME certified. Incredibly frustrating.

There are a few but you have to search very hard for them. Additionally are you fortunate enough that your timetable matches up with when they have availability for students to fill those slots.

Even of the programs that I have found there start dates don't match up with the timetable provided by my university.

This predicament has seriously forced me to consider going through one of those programs that place you somewhere. Since lets be real I just want to have the possibility of post grad training in the States if I want it and I just want USCE and a LOR. Having an awesome learning experience would be great but thats what post grad training in the US would be if I got it.

Best of luck mate.

dmonge13

I know your struggle my friend. I am in Australia looking to do two fourth year electives in the states and I am having tremendous difficulty finding programs that accept visiting students from schools that are not LCME certified. Incredibly frustrating.

There are a few but you have to search very hard for them. Additionally are you fortunate enough that your timetable matches up with when they have availability for students to fill those slots.

Even of the programs that I have found there start dates don't match up with the timetable provided by my university.

This predicament has seriously forced me to consider going through one of those programs that place you somewhere. Since lets be real I just want to have the possibility of post grad training in the States if I want it and I just want USCE and a LOR. Having an awesome learning experience would be great but thats what post grad training in the US would be if I got it.

Best of luck mate.

I've considered doing the same by applying to those clerkship agencies but I can't seem to find any good reviews on any of them to be honest. I'd pay the expensive price if there was some sort of guarantee that these experiences really do provide great learning experiences and a legitimate LoR. But you're absolutely right, an awesome learning experience at this point would just be a plus for us international students.

Do you mind sharing the programs that do accept non-certified LCME schools?

There are far fewer opportunities for visiting students this year.
Chances for core clerkships are going to be very hard to find. We can barely get adequate clinical experience for our own students with the closure of many outpatient clinics and elective surgeries.
Let us know if you find something!

I'd imagine :( I'll definitely keep everyone posted if I find anything!

I've considered doing the same by applying to those clerkship agencies but I can't seem to find any good reviews on any of them to be honest. I'd pay the expensive price if there was some sort of guarantee that these experiences really do provide great learning experiences and a legitimate LoR. But you're absolutely right, an awesome learning experience at this point would just be a plus for us international students.

Do you mind sharing the programs that do accept non-certified LCME schools?
Sorry can't share. That might decrease my chances for when I apply. Just kidding. Ill shoot you a PM!

• Haha

It is quite difficult.

Primarily so I can get USCE as I am aiming to do my residency in the states. Originally, I was going to do an observership this summer at Miami Miller so by the time I graduated, I would´ve just dedicated my time to studying for the steps. But as the COVID-19 crisis hit, they cancelled my visit. So, I´m basically looking for USCE opportunities while staying on an ideal schedule.

Just finish everything in Mexico but don't graduate. You remain matriculated as a student and can apply for exchange clerkships in the US. It's easier and you always have the option to immediately graduate if it backfires.

Eso es lo que la mayoría de estudiantes que van a los EEUU hacen en mi universidad. Además, vas a aprender más en las rotaciones clínicas en México que en EEUU (mi opinión) y luego dejas una buena impresión en donde hagas tu clerkship en los EEUU.

• Care
Te refieres a terminar mi internado en México y tomarme un periodo para hacer rotaciones en EUA antes de empezar mi servicio y obtener mi cédula? Supongo que se toman un año para obtener USCE y a su vez estudiar para el step 1, o en qué momento suelen prepararse para los steps?
En mi universidad no es muy común tomar este camino así que no brindan mucha información :unsure:

Just finish everything in Mexico but don't graduate. You remain matriculated as a student and can apply for exchange clerkships in the US. It's easier and you always have the option to immediately graduate if it backfires.

Eso es lo que la mayoría de estudiantes que van a los EEUU hacen en mi universidad. Además, vas a aprender más en las rotaciones clínicas en México que en EEUU (mi opinión) y luego dejas una buena impresión en donde hagas tu clerkship en los EEUU.