This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

greenbannan4

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all. I'm writing a research paper for my Health Administration class and I want to get a feel about how you all feel about clinician leadership.
What are the problems that having clinicians in leadership solve?
How do you all feel is the best way for more clinical/business/management integration?
Any one of you interested in going down this path and why?

Thanks!
 
Hi all. I'm writing a research paper for my Health Administration class and I want to get a feel about how you all feel about clinician leadership.
What are the problems that having clinicians in leadership solve?
How do you all feel is the best way for more clinical/business/management integration?
Any one of you interested in going down this path and why?

Thanks!

I think one of the biggest advantages that clinicians in leadership roles have is credibility. They were ambitious/smart enough to get into medical school and paid their dues during residency. Healthcare administrators did not do either of those things. I am reminded of something I heard a while back:

Take the doctors out of a hospital and you have a building. Take the administrators out of a hospital and you have a hospital.