Close-to-finals studying: any tips on making the most of it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dandine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm going to guess that a couple of people are already having finals (at least for my school they're earlier than some others). For those of you who still have some time before then or are willing to share some advice, what are some tips that you might have for having only a few days before a final exam (in particular, one or two) to study? For me it seems the trickiest part is "nit-picking", which really puts me on edge.

I'm basing this on the fact that someone has been studying throughout the semester and has done most of review but wants to make sure that he/she knows [as close to] everything and hasn't missed anything major. If you have tips on cramming, though, feel free to share as well. (although personally, I've learned that I can't cram to save my life...)

Members don't see this ad.

eat breakfast every day
dikembe_mutombo_finger_wag-53668.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Redo all tests. Redo all problem sets, homeworks, extra credits, get 7 hours of sleep every night, eat breakfast every day
This one will be painful for physics.

My tip? Try not to procrastinate so much (just like I am doing now).
DRINK WATER! A lot of it.

Redo all tests. Redo all problem sets, homeworks, extra credits, get 7 hours of sleep every night, eat breakfast every day

That's painful. I'd just do few random problems from all of the chapters covered. Redoing the tests is definitely a good idea as a final preparation.

If it's for biology, reviewing the lecture notes is the best way to go.

Reactions: 1 user
That's painful. I'd just do few random problems from all of the chapters covered. Redoing the tests is definitely a good idea as a final preparation.

If it's for biology, reviewing the lecture notes is the best way to go.

Yah for non-math heavy courses I would just review exams and lecture slides

Yah for non-math heavy courses I would just review exams and lecture slides

Your plan would be a torture for physics/engineering/math majors lol. From my classical mechanics class... just doing one problem took about 30 min-1 hour because the math involved was insane! In fact, the midterm contained only 3 problems to be done for 2 hours, and even in that time frame, more than half was still working on it... Redoing all the homework problems/exams = death sentence. Same with E&M, quantum, astro etc.

Intro physics would be fine because the concepts are numerous but straightforward.

Your plan would be a torture for physics/engineering/math majors lol. From my classical mechanics class... just doing one problem took about 30 min-1 hour because the math involved was insane! In fact, the midterm contained only 3 problems to be done for 2 hours, and even in that time frame, more than half was still working on it... Redoing all the homework problems/exams = death sentence.

Sounds like your mechanics course was just ultra-multi layer questions. We had one of those every exam but generally 20 questions total every exam with about 10 calculation and 10 problem-solving logic (solve the question w/o numbers) and 1-3 freebies (What forces are acting on this object hurrdurr) depending on how generous the prof was feeling. It would definitely be a lot harder for your test formats. I was a physics major for a year so this was my goto finals crunch time plan. Is it unsustainable for harder, upper-division classes? WELL WE'RE ABOUT TO FIND OUT. lol

Sounds like your mechanics course was just ultra-multi layer questions. We had one of those every exam but generally 20 questions total every exam with about 10 calculation and 10 problem-solving logic (solve the question w/o numbers) and 1-3 freebies (What forces are acting on this object hurrdurr) depending on how generous the prof was feeling. It would definitely be a lot harder for your test formats. I was a physics major for a year so this was my goto finals crunch time plan. Is it unsustainable for harder, upper-division classes? WELL WE'RE ABOUT TO FIND OUT. lol

Surprisingly, it was just one problem (with no parts) involving the motion of a double pendulum moving on a cart (and related problems... man I hate pendulums).

Your plan works for an intro level course, but it's literally impossible for higher ups because the math is insane and prone to errors. The better plan is to simply do few review problems for each chapter and use old exams as a final review. This is sustainable for any quantitative class (math, physics, and ochem).

Reactions: 1 user
For chem/physics, pick the hardest problems from each chapter to do. For bio, re-memorize everything you feel like you forgot.

Reactions: 1 users
You can start by getting off from SDN for a while.

Reactions: 1 users
Your school should have a learning or education center that can help you with issues like these.

Word to the wise: Cramming might get you through one test, but that knowledge is "binged and purged." You need to develop studying habits that will help you retain knowledge. Cramming won't help you in medical school.

Hi everyone,

I'm going to guess that a couple of people are already having finals (at least for my school they're earlier than some others). For those of you who still have some time before then or are willing to share some advice, what are some tips that you might have for having only a few days before a final exam (in particular, one or two) to study? For me it seems the trickiest part is "nit-picking", which really puts me on edge.

I'm basing this on the fact that someone has been studying throughout the semester and has done most of review but wants to make sure that he/she knows [as close to] everything and hasn't missed anything major. If you have tips on cramming, though, feel free to share as well. (although personally, I've learned that I can't cram to save my life...)

Hi everyone,

This is how I've experienced success over the years:

For physics/math/statistics/engineering/general chemistry:

1. Seek out difficult concepts that you struggle with.
2. Learn them in depth and try to anticipate ways the teacher will change them on the final.
3. If you do not understand a concept, go to the teacher's office hours and don't leave until you fully understand it [good thing ur starting early]

Organic:

1. Redo all types of problems and do any possible practice exams.
2. Make a web of reactions (i.e. how to go from single bond to triple...how to add a carbon to an alkane)
3. Do difficult synthesis problems and only look at answers after you've given it your best.
4. Go to the professor only if you have a conceptual misunderstanding.

Biology-All the ologies... (Immunology, General Biology, Neurobiology, Physiology, Microbiology, Cell Biology)

Flash Card Method:

1. Go through the high yield information they've given you (Lectures, PPT, textbook [rare these days], note slides, etc.)
2. As you go through them, iron out all the concepts.
3. On the front of an index card, ask a question that requires understanding of a concept.
4. Write the answer to it on the back.
5. This should take a while...don't forget to make time for cycling...
6. Be careful when adding new cards to your deck...this is material you're trying to crystallize...make sure none of it is wrong
7. If you're watching lectures or doing something in a linear manner, test the effectiveness of your studying with a practice test.
Instead of doing the practice test afterwards, review it after you've completed a section or lecture. See which questions you can answer, which one's you cant. This will give you a good idea of what you need to review more and it will give you a good idea of what you don't know yet and will have to focus on as you continue to learn.

Biology-(Biochemistry, Genetics):

1. Your first priority is to learn all the problem solving concepts. Learn these through practice problems? Gene Mapping, Figuring out ATP generated from X fatty acid? Deletion Mapping, etc? Get it down. If not, go to your professor until you learn all the concepts and possible variants.

2. Once this is done, do the flash card method. For biochem, each flashcard should be dedicated to step in a metabolic pathway.

Ex.

Front:

PFK-1 --> PFK-2

Exorgonic/Endorgonic:

Significance of this step:

Enzyme:

Notable features of reaction:

Back:

-G

-Rate determinining step

-enzyme I can't remember

-nucleophilic substitution, phosphorylation of carbon- # (also can't remember)

Biology (Anatomy)

Utilize flashcard method but do a lot of looking at diagrams too. Quiz yourself by covering parts and uncovering them...while anatomy requires a lot of memorization of facts, it's very visual too.

BEST OF LUCK!

Reactions: 3 users
This is how I've experienced success over the years:

For physics/math/statistics/engineering/general chemistry:

1. Seek out difficult concepts that you struggle with.
2. Learn them in depth and try to anticipate ways the teacher will change them on the final.
3. If you do not understand a concept, go to the teacher's office hours and don't leave until you fully understand it [good thing ur starting early]

Organic:

1. Redo all types of problems and do any possible practice exams.
2. Make a web of reactions (i.e. how to go from single bond to triple...how to add a carbon to an alkane)
3. Do difficult synthesis problems and only look at answers after you've given it your best.
4. Go to the professor only if you have a conceptual misunderstanding.

Biology-All the ologies... (Immunology, General Biology, Neurobiology, Physiology, Microbiology, Cell Biology)

Flash Card Method:

1. Go through the high yield information they've given you (Lectures, PPT, textbook [rare these days], note slides, etc.)
2. As you go through them, iron out all the concepts.
3. On the front of an index card, ask a question that requires understanding of a concept.
4. Write the answer to it on the back.
5. This should take a while...don't forget to make time for cycling...
6. Be careful when adding new cards to your deck...this is material you're trying to crystallize...make sure none of it is wrong
7. If you're watching lectures or doing something in a linear manner, test the effectiveness of your studying with a practice test.
Instead of doing the practice test afterwards, review it after you've completed a section or lecture. See which questions you can answer, which one's you cant. This will give you a good idea of what you need to review more and it will give you a good idea of what you don't know yet and will have to focus on as you continue to learn.

Biology-(Biochemistry, Genetics):

1. Your first priority is to learn all the problem solving concepts. Learn these through practice problems? Gene Mapping, Figuring out ATP generated from X fatty acid? Deletion Mapping, etc? Get it down. If not, go to your professor until you learn all the concepts and possible variants.

2. Once this is done, do the flash card method. For biochem, each flashcard should be dedicated to step in a metabolic pathway.

Ex.

Front:

PFK-1 --> PFK-2

Exorgonic/Endorgonic:

Significance of this step:

Enzyme:

Notable features of reaction:

Back:

-G

-Rate determinining step

-enzyme I can't remember

-nucleophilic substitution, phosphorylation of carbon- # (also can't remember)

Biology (Anatomy)

Utilize flashcard method but do a lot of looking at diagrams too. Quiz yourself by covering parts and uncovering them...while anatomy requires a lot of memorization of facts, it's very visual too.

BEST OF LUCK!

Very good strategies--personally I'm taking biochem now and am trying to do more problems to study (redoing our old ones, seeing if I can make any of my own...?). Making flash cards have been tricky for me in the past because, as you said, they need to be done well once, but they are effective.

Thanks very much! :D

Very good strategies--personally I'm taking biochem now and am trying to do more problems to study (redoing our old ones, seeing if I can make any of my own...?). Making flash cards have been tricky for me in the past because, as you said, they need to be done well once, but they are effective.

Thanks very much! :D

It depends on what semester you're in. First semester was way more conceptual so in those cases, play out all the enzyme kinetics scenarios in your head...make sure you understand how to do all amino acid titration acid titrations...if it's second, make sure I got ur pathways down and make sure unknown fatty acid synthesis.

It depends on what semester you're in. First semester was way more conceptual so in those cases, play out all the enzyme kinetics scenarios in your head...make sure you understand how to do all amino acid titration acid titrations...if it's second, make sure I got ur pathways down and make sure unknown fatty acid synthesis.

I'm actually doing the semester-length biochem course (which for many people I know just seems strange because there is so much about biochem to know!), but I did get the impression with the first-half being more conceptual and the second being metabolic pathways. For pathways I try to creates stories in my head that make sense. And at least for our class conceptual-problem favorites involve ion exchange chromatography and other forms of amino acid sorting...

I found that I liked biochem a lot...but I'm still not looking forward to the exam. =/

I'm actually doing the semester-length biochem course (which for many people I know just seems strange because there is so much about biochem to know!), but I did get the impression with the first-half being more conceptual and the second being metabolic pathways. For pathways I try to creates stories in my head that make sense. And at least for our class conceptual-problem favorites involve ion exchange chromatography and other forms of amino acid sorting...

I found that I liked biochem a lot...but I'm still not looking forward to the exam. =/

I did the same with stories...like the enzymes with funny names with SAM...I gave them personalities and stuff. Ya, I had those concepts too. It'll be all good. You got this :)