Closed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChocolateChipCookiez

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response! I realized too late that I probably should have done a poll for more responses haha. Does anyone else have any thoughts?
lmao yeah you could always repost but you never know who's voting tbh. I think because of your goal for an academic position, you really don't want to limit your options by not having a strong home program in specialities you're interested in. I think this is something that isn't accounted for as much as it should be. If you're interested in urology, it's a small field so you're going to want to have a home program which makes getting research opportunities, mentors, and strong LORs a breeze. Even more so considering you want an academic position. Compare that to a school w/o a home program where the only exposure you get is through aways which is a huge disadvantage

Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about USF or SELECT but it sounds like the option that won't close as many doors imo for high career aspirations while WMed sounds like an overall more enjoyable/healthier environment

Let's get the experts in here though: @Putkernerinthehall @Banco @TheDataKing

USF for home programs, more research opportunities, + not being in Michigan. It’s too damn cold there lmao

First thing is price - USF wins.

With regards to pre-clinical grading - mine was P/F and that was nice, but honestly pre-clinical curriculum never came up on my residency interviews. I think my school used it in a very minor way when writing dean's letters but again, it really doesn't matter for anything frankly other than learning and preparing for steps. If your school has AOA they might use it for that - but again, AOA is not a necessity to match.

Moving to PA/overall location is a personal thing, so I leave that to you to decide.

If you're interested in surgery, it's good to have a strong home program and see on the match lists that there is a pipeline for matches. This is especially true for the surgical subspecialties, where strong research and good LORs are expected. So take a look at the match lists over the past few years to ensure that there are at least consistent matches in the fields you are interested in - this is very superficial, but can give a cursory understanding. Secondly, see how good the home program/department is, and whether they are active in research.

You have to do your research on the home programs, but here are some of the match lists. Remember these are often largely based on student preference, but it can give some hints:

WMichigan:

Looks like they place solidly for GS and Ortho - but the other surgical subspecialties are pretty much absent (ENT, Plastics, Vascular, Urology, Neurosurgery).

USFMorsani

Looks overall more varied and impressive for surgery disciplines. I haven't looked at other years though, so make sure to take a gander.