Closest airport to Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dat_student

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the following three airports is closest to Columbia university:

Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) - Newark, NJ
New York J F Kennedy International Airport (JFK) - New York, NY
New York La Guardia Airport (LGA) - New York,

-Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

dat_student said:

-Thanks

LGA is the cheapest cab fare, I think. Also the quickest to get to if you're taking the subway/bus.

drhobie7 said:
LGA is the cheapest cab fare, I think. Also the quickest to get to if you're taking the subway/bus.

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
dat_student said:

-Thanks

JFK is always your best bet... (I live 20 min from jfk BTW) Simply because LGA is ALWAYS crowded, not to say JFK isnt, but lga is a mess.....My advice, go for the cheaper air fare tho, it's not that much of a big deal in travel distance that it would be worth spending say an extra 50 bux on airfare tho...
Forget about Newark...
hope that helps...

Kremlar said:
JFK is always your best bet... (I live 20 min from jfk BTW) Simply because LGA is ALWAYS crowded, not to say JFK isnt, but lga is a mess.....My advice, go for the cheaper air fare tho, it's not that much of a big deal in travel distance that it would be worth spending say an extra 50 bux on airfare tho...
Forget about Newark...
hope that helps...

whats wrong with newark. i take it cause its easy, cheap and always takes the same amount of time to get there. you take the new jersey transit railway (14 bucks and 15-20 mins) to penn station. and then 30-40 mins on the A up to columbia.

sdos2009 said:
whats wrong with newark. i take it cause its easy, cheap and always takes the same amount of time to get there. you take the new jersey transit railway (14 bucks and 15-20 mins) to penn station. and then 30-40 mins on the A up to columbia.

A cab from JFK or LGA is going to run you some $$$. A cab from JFK to Manhattan is $45 (flat rate), but that price doesn't include the tolls & tip, so it is more like $50+.

If you have time, your cheapest option would be to take public transportation. The bus from LGA is $2; once the bus gets into Manhattan you'd transfer to a subway to Columbia. The bus driver could tell you where to get off to make sure you'd get on the right subway. From JFK is would be a $7 trip - $5 for the AirTran, and $2 for the subway ride. You can actually take a single subway (the "A" train) from the AirTran stop near JFK all the way up to Columbia - it is a looong ride (1 hour+), but all you have to do is sit there. For $7, I would rather sit on the train than spend the money on a cab, if you have time.

Newark is an ok option too, but the NJ transit doesn't run as frequently as NYC public transportation, IMO. Plus it costs more to get to Newark and takes just as long.

Super Shuttle is always a good option too.

Good luck!

griffin04 said:
A cab from JFK or LGA is going to run you some $$$. A cab from JFK to Manhattan is $45 (flat rate), but that price doesn't include the tolls & tip, so it is more like $50+.

If you have time, your cheapest option would be to take public transportation. The bus from LGA is $2; once the bus gets into Manhattan you'd transfer to a subway to Columbia. The bus driver could tell you where to get off to make sure you'd get on the right subway. From JFK is would be a $7 trip - $5 for the AirTran, and $2 for the subway ride. You can actually take a single subway (the "A" train) from the AirTran stop near JFK all the way up to Columbia - it is a looong ride (1 hour+), but all you have to do is sit there. For $7, I would rather sit on the train than spend the money on a cab, if you have time.

Newark is an ok option too, but the NJ transit doesn't run as frequently as NYC public transportation, IMO. Plus it costs more to get to Newark and takes just as long.

Super Shuttle is always a good option too.

Good luck!

"If you have time, your cheapest option would be to take public transportation."

True!

Basically, you should either fly into JFK or LGA. Let price dictate which one.

Once you figured out which one you'll be arriving at, give them a call and ask them what's the best way to get into Manhatten as far as public transportation goes.

They'll probably get you into the Port Authority or Penn station (two train stations in NYC) if you train it. From there you can catch the A subway to Columbia, or whatever subway to your hotel.

For a subway map go to www.lirr.org

Hope that helps!

Good luck!

Good points from DMD-2B. I forgot to add that in reference to Kremlar's post, I don't think JFK is necessarily a better bet over LGA. Just pick the cheaper option when looking for flights. The A subway train is easy to catch from JFK. Unfortunately, no subway trains run to LGA, you have to take the M60 bus into Manahattan and then take the subways once you get here. Bring your quarters for the bus, they don't accept dollar bills.

plazaday said:
Whatever you do,just DONT fly into Newark

Thanks. I've heard Newark, 42nd street, Harlem, Brooklyn, Bronx,... are very dangerous areas and I shouldn't be in those areas after sunset under any circumstances. SCARY

dat_student said:
Thanks. I've heard Newark, 42nd street, Harlem, Brooklyn, Bronx,... are very dangerous areas and I shouldn't be in those areas after sunset under any circumstances. SCARY

:laugh: :rolleyes:

(This is great. Between this and the "columbia vs. uop" thread, you are an entertaining bunch on the pre-dental forums.)

Maybe you should stay away from NYC in general. Stick to suburbs. Sunsets are very pretty in the suburbs. :rolleyes:

LGA HANDS DOWN! it's the EASIEST to get to nyc. you take the M60 bus (for $2 have it in change and ask for a transfer). it takes you alonge 125th street and if you want to go right to columbia get off at the A/C/B/D trains (blue and orange and take the A or the C up to 168th street). It's easiest, trust me. JFK is a pain in the A$$ and Newark is just far. and taking the bus is easy, and SAFE, just make sure to have change for the $2.

edit: Also, I always pick LGA, even if the flight is say $20 more at LGA than JFK, it's much easier and cheaper to get from LGA to manhattan, and it doesn't take long--yes it's longer than a taxi, but still you can usually get there in about 20-30 mins from manhattan (easily!).

dat_student said:

haha.maybe you shouldnt go to columbia then. morningside/harlem/alphabet city.slightly sketchy. :laugh:

plazaday said:
haha.maybe you shouldnt go to columbia then. morningside/harlem/alphabet city.slightly sketchy. :laugh:

I was born in New York but left when 3 yrs old. My uncle was beaten up in Newark. Another relative was stopped in NYC by some gangsters. After my dad got his degree we left New York. I don't know. I still love NYC. That maybe because I was born in NYC.

dat_student said:
I was born in New York but left when 3 yrs old. My uncle was beaten up in Newark. Another relative was stopped in NYC by some gangsters. After my dad got his degree we left New York. I don't know. I still love NYC. That maybe because I was born in NYC.

newark is pretty sketchy. NYC is not sketchy,unless you wander about like an idiot by yourself at 3AM. but youre too smart to do that,no?