Closet Pre-Med seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bishop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll keep this short and sweet.

I was informed that my introductory chemistry courses (3 classes) don't fulfill the general chemistry requirement. Now I'm faced with having to take another year of general chemistry courses in addition to the remainder of my pre-reqs (Physics, BioChem, O-chem II, and 3 repeat classes)

What would be a good combination of classes that I can take that won't burn me out. I'm aware that I'm gonna just have to 'suck it up and put some dirt on it'. However, I just thought I'd ask for some insight.

Thanks,

E

Members don't see this ad.

Opinions on this will vary. It will depend on what other commitments you have, how many credits you want to take per semester, and how well you handle schoolwork. However, you have to follow the chemistry pathway either way, which means a maximum of 2 science classes each semester, plus whatever "repeat classes" you feel confident you can successfully handle.

This was my combination of classes while working full time:

Chem 1, Bio 2, Other Classes x 2 (14 Cr)
Chem 2, OChem 1 (8 Cr) <- Summer
BioChem, Phys 1, Other Classes x 2 (13Cr)
Phys 2, Other Classes x 3 (12 Cr) + MCAT Prep
BioChem Lab, Other Classes x 4 (14 Cr) <- This semester.

Good luck!

I believe the "proper" course is Chem 1 -> Chem 2 -> Organic 1 -> Organic 2 -> Biochemistry,

You might be able to do some of those concurrently as brainnurse is depending on how good you are at the sciences. I think some schools may look down on summer science classes, so FYI.

I would focus on the chemistry train and build everything around that structure if possible.