Club Officer Hierarchies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows it's President, then Vice President, etc. But how do positions like External Relations, Social Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer rank against each other? I'm asking b/c I'm curious as to how others would see this.

For admissions purposes, it definitely does not matter as long as you can describe what you did in the role, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone knows it's President, then Vice President, etc. But how do positions like External Relations, Social Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer rank against each other? I'm asking b/c I'm curious as to how others would see this.

For admissions purposes, it definitely does not matter as long as you can describe what you did in the role, right?

Yep, just describe what you did in the role.

External Relations?
Social Chair?

WTF?

Did you also have a DJ, a Party Planner, a Discussion Moderator, a Social Media Executive, a Designated SDN Poster, an MCAT Expert, and a Pizza Buyer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would describe the activity and the hours involved. I worked more hours as rush chair than I am at treasurer but unless you have been in a fraternity it is hard to describe.

External Relations?
Social Chair?

WTF?

Have you ever been in a large, multi-faceted organization? Depends on the type of club, but PR and Social Chairs can be pretty big roles. Especially from an exec-board standpoint, all the work of running a huge student organization can't just fall on 4-5 people.

External Relations?
Social Chair?

WTF?

Did you also have a DJ, a Party Planner, a Discussion Moderator, a Social Media Executive, a Designated SDN Poster, an MCAT Expert, and a Pizza Buyer?
I'm thinking this person is in a fraternity/sorority. The social chair typically organizes parties between the fraternity and the many sororities and vice-versa. External relations are typically in charge of going to panhellenic meetings and such.

I'm thinking this person is in a fraternity/sorority. The social chair typically organizes parties between the fraternity and the many sororities and vice-versa. External relations are typically in charge of going to panhellenic meetings and such.

Exactly.

OP run for an exec position you are interested in and think you will be good b at. Just make sure you can describe it well in your app