Clueless MS1 trying to buy a percussion hammer. Help please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han14tra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, is a percussion hammer one of those things that the dr hits your knee with to test your reflexes? It's on the list of stuff to pick up at the bookstore.

It says to buy a Babinski, Dejerine, or Queen's square. NOT triangle. What is the difference between those three and which do you recommend?

Also, the opthalmoscope and otoscope are optional. Would you recommend buying those?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd wait till school starts and see what the upperclassmen think about the oto and ophthalmoscopes.

You might not even need that stuff right away.

hold off on all equipment until you know what you really need. And then get the cheapest equipment that you won't be using regularly in your eventual field. only spend more than $5-10 on a reflex hammer if you're going into neurology otherwise get a triangle one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what the real name for it is -- but the heavy reflex hammers with the circular heads and long(er) handles are the best kind. That way, you just let the hammer drop on the tendon (with constant force,) rather than having to strike the tendon (with possibly variable force) like with a triangular one.

But, you called it a percussion hammer. For percussing, the triangle one is better. But, my school has this dogma where the official curriculum makes it a point of teaching us that it is bad to percuss with a hammer -- however, I won't get into that......

For percussion, I prefer the Your Fingers 5000™. It's cheap and effective.

So, is a percussion hammer one of those things that the dr hits your knee with to test your reflexes? It's on the list of stuff to pick up at the bookstore.

It says to buy a Babinski, Dejerine, or Queen's square. NOT triangle. What is the difference between those three and which do you recommend?

Also, the opthalmoscope and otoscope are optional. Would you recommend buying those?

Several things:

1) The thing that the "dr hits your knee with to test your reflexes" is called a reflex hammer.

2) It's not called the "triangle" reflex hammer - it's the tomahawk or Taylor. The neurologists hate these because they say that the handle isn't long enough, and the head isn't heavy enough, to elicit a good reflex.

As for the difference between the other three, Google is your friend:

DEJERINE:
Dejerine%20Percussion%20Hammer%201-320%201.JPG

QUEEN SQUARE:
Queen_Square_Hammer.jpg

BABINSKI:
KT-GF05J.jpg

Unless you're planning on becoming a neurologist or a neurosurgeon, the Taylor reflex hammer is fine. Most internists just use the end of their stethoscopes.

3) Don't buy the ophthalmoscope or the otoscope right now. Later, when you're a resident, if you feel like you really need one (for whatever reason), you can buy it then.

4) At the school you're going to be attending, they never ever taught us to percuss with a hammer. We were always taught to percuss with our fingers, which makes more sense than using a hammer unless you have REALLY weak arms or something.

Just get the cheapest thing you can find unless you're going in to neurology. And hold off on the otoscope/opthalmoscope, as you probably won't even need them (we are recommended to buy them but I made it through 3rd year fine without).

Lol, Texas.

Deep in my mind, somewhere I hope there's a mirror conversation going on within the forums of 'Student Carpenter Network'.

"Which claw hammer should I get?"

"Craftsman is fine unless you're going to be doing a lot of antique furniture."

"Most handymen just use the back of a screwdriver."

hammer.jpg

Lol, Texas.

Deep in my mind, somewhere I hope there's a mirror conversation going on within the forums of 'Student Carpenter Network'.

hammer.jpg

Nicely played. Very thorough. You didn't let any of the laughs get away. I salute you.

Do not get a Taylor (tomahawk) hammer like the one below.

taylor-hammer.jpg

Instead, get yourself a Troemner hammer like the one they use at the Mayo Clinic.

StainlessHammerK_2019_lg.jpg

You can get one of these for about $40 and it will be much more useful than the tomahawk.

taylor-hammer.jpg

Instead, get yourself a Troemner hammer like the one they use at the Mayo Clinic.

You can get one of these for about $40 and it will be much more useful than the tomahawk.

You clearly forget what the budget limitations of a medical student are.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's a waste of $40 for something you will never use except on Neurology. No one I know keeps a reflex hammer in their coat except on that rotation. Just use your stethoscope edge, works well enough.

Sell some used video games.

I'm not sure there's really a need to spend $40 on a hammer if you're not going to be testing reflexes regularly, especially when the cheap hammer can still produce all the reflexes needed. Now if you know you're going to be going into a field that requires semi-regular use of a reflex hammer, that's a totally different story.

I'm not sure there's really a need to spend $40 on a hammer if you're not going to be testing reflexes regularly, especially when the cheap hammer can still produce all the reflexes needed. Now if you know you're going to be going into a field that requires semi-regular use of a reflex hammer, that's a totally different story.

A Taylor hammer is a waste of money because it's fairly useless.

Specialties that need a reliable reflex hammer are below:

1) Internal medicine
2) Family practice
3) Pediatrics
4) Neurology
5) Neurosurgery
6) Orthopedic surgery
7) PM&R

Spend a few bucks more and get a decent hammer.

That's a waste of $40 for something you will never use except on Neurology. No one I know keeps a reflex hammer in their coat except on that rotation. Just use your stethoscope edge, works well enough.

It gives an awful, unprofessional impression to the patient.

1) Internal medicine
2) Family practice
3) Pediatrics
4) Neurology
5) Neurosurgery
6) Orthopedic surgery
7) PM&R

That is true, didn't think about IM or FP really. I personally am happy making due with stethoscope and/or hands, which I'll need to do every few days for someone, but I will admit it does come off as less professional.

Sell some used video games.

Ya, sell the used video games and use the money for food, a trip home, or a drink with friends :). You can still have money left over for a cheap reflex hammer!!! :D

i'd use the edge of an iPhone with the shotgun app running

Lol, Texas.

hammer.jpg
:laugh: - very well played sir.

Gone are the days of free hammers that included pharma logos. I still have quite a few of these in my bag. I even have a Littmann stethoscope that has a pharma logo on it.

Fortunately, a hammer really isn't that expensive and I think you'll do fine with any of the ones listed above. If you're in a real pinch, you can always use the bell of your stethoscope.

Gone are the days of free hammers that included pharma logos. I still have quite a few of these in my bag. I even have a Littmann stethoscope that has a pharma logo on it.

Fortunately, a hammer really isn't that expensive and I think you'll do fine with any of the ones listed above. If you're in a real pinch, you can always use the bell of your stethoscope.

Pharma is gone, but sometimes there are on-campus residency fairs. I picked up some trauma shears and a penlight that way. I would've picked up a reflex hammer too, if I hadn't already had one.

It gives an awful, unprofessional impression to the patient.

If the patient can actually appreciate the difference between a good reflex hammer and a crappy one, he/she doesn't deserve a neuro consult.

taylor-hammer.jpg

Don't listen to any of these people. Unless you want to go into neurology find a free triangle reflex hammer from some drug rep.

1) Internal medicine
2) Family practice
3) Pediatrics
4) Neurology
5) Neurosurgery
6) Orthopedic surgery
7) PM&R

ahhhaaaahahahhahahahahahhhhhaaaa...*breathe*...ahahhahahhahaahhahhhahhhahahhahahahhhahhahahahahah

I have seen maybe one ortho surgeon that uses anything other than the edge of a stethoscope and he had a triangle hammer.

If the patient can actually appreciate the difference between a good reflex hammer and a crappy one, he/she doesn't deserve a neuro consult.

I wonder what patients think when I use my hands to elicit reflexes? If you have good percussion technique, it's not hard to elicit reflexes that way.

I have seen maybe one ortho surgeon that uses anything other than the edge of a stethoscope and he had a triangle hammer.

I haven't seen a single ortho surgeon that actually carries a stethoscope :)

If it's worth anything, my school was pushing the Babinski and hating the tomahawk.

Babinksi hammers can be obtained fairly cheaply ($10-$15).:thumbup:

Here in the UK, it's the Queen Square all the way, mainly for the reasons already listed and also because it first came into use here.

Jonathan

Give me a break. You do not need to buy a reflex hammer. Just use the edge of your stethescope if you need to get someone's reflexes. I did that all through med school and they even let me graduate! :laugh:

If you decide you *love* testing reflexes, get one 3rd year when you'll actually be seeing patients.

You need that stuff they recommend for one day out of the year, and all the attendings bring extras.

Save your money until 3rd year. You'll probably lose it before you actually use it.