CME credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New residency graduate: Trying to figure out the CME requirements. Where is the best place to get CME credit? I guess Type I. Also, what are the other requirements required by ABPN? Any guidance would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious, too. For the state medical boards I think some of it is state-dependent. I know for some states like Cali, though: If you pass the boards, you get 100 credits for 4 consecutive years.

As for ABPN,

Here are the guidelines and they give a list of approved program for credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you sign up for Beat the Boards, there is a very easy quiz at the end under the "CME Vault" tab. Passing that gets you 51.75 CME credits.

Reactions: 1 user
This year with basically every conference online, you have a fairly easy and actually interesting way to get CMEs, and usually all you have to do is register and then affirm that you attended/watched how every many sessions/talks, which determines how much credit you get up to a certain max. No hotel or travel required.

New grad here. I used UpToDate throughout residency and accrued 350 cme hours just by using it.

CME in residency is of little value, because states will likely already credit you CME of X for simply being a resident.

UpToDate post residency is a decent means to churn a few through out the year.

I have some of those by doing NEI Institute lessons. I have no idea what's their purpose because I am applying this year for psych, lol.

AMA: Participant:​
23.25​

Total Credits:​

23.25​

But I have to say that I am quite enjoying the videos.

New grad here. I used UpToDate throughout residency and accrued 350 cme hours just by using it.

My hospital has an institutional membership to UpToDate, so I can access it from any hospital computer. How do you then accrue CMEs for personal use? Is there some way to create a personal account and link it to an institutional account?

My hospital has an institutional membership to UpToDate, so I can access it from any hospital computer. How do you then accrue CMEs for personal use? Is there some way to create a personal account and link it to an institutional account?

Yes. It was automatic for my institution.

I had an institutional account as a resident and now one as an attending. You get 0.5cme every time you research something. I tested the redeem credits function, and it basically creates a certificate that states how many hours you earned.