CMG Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpinism

Give Em' the Jet Fuel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh look another HCA residency in Florida.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 14 users
Yeah this is getting pretty ridiculous.

Reactions: 8 users
HCA is crazy every hospital they have under their control they want to have a residency.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
HCA is crazy every hospital they have under their control they want to have a residency.
Have to convince the unknowing saps that those emcare/HCA jobs are total trash. Flood the market with Em docs and some HAVE to work for emcare. What will happen to those folks working for CMGs where supply/demand will be reshuffled.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow. Pure genius on the part of HCA suits though. Training their CMG minions that will work for peanuts when minted. Remember back in the day when a new residency would start with like 5-6 residents, and gradually grow to 12 over many years?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It is our fault as physicians. If we would stop agreeing to be faculty at these programs, they couldn't exist. Not sure the allure for some people. Train residents for the same salary, and contribute to the death of our specialty?

Reactions: 6 users
I’m aware of some pretty sweet deals for the core clinical faculty at some places, like paying the clinical hourly rate to go to conference for 5 hours, prepare a lecture or host a journal club. But that stuff seems to me to be low hanging fruit that won’t last once people really look at budgets and expenditures.

Oh look another HCA residency in Florida.
It is our fault as physicians. If we would stop agreeing to be faculty at these programs, they couldn't exist. Not sure the allure for some people. Train residents for the same salary, and contribute to the death of our specialty?

You track your docs with RFID???? And that’s a good thing????

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a great place to work and train.

Sent from my SM-T830 using SDN mobile
FWIW Mayo in Arizona does this to the EM docs. One of the many reasons I refused to consider that place. Too much big brother for me.

Letting 2 for profit organizations do this to you is freakish.

FWIW Mayo in Arizona does this to the EM docs. One of the many reasons I refused to consider that place. Too much big brother for me.

Letting 2 for profit organizations do this to you is freakish.

I wonder why? Who cares where the doc is, as long as he/she is doing their job appropriately

I wonder why? Who cares where the doc is, as long as he/she is doing their job appropriately
Surely to let the docs know who owns them. Could be used to coach patient sat etc. Again, to me this is unacceptable

Kids, I know you want to do EM. But the question you need to answer for yourself is:

"At what cost?"

Kids, I know you want to do EM. But the question you need to answer for yourself is:

"At what cost?"

No doubt in my mind that I'm going into EM. Going into 4th year and there is hardly any other specialty (IM, PMR) that I found the same enjoyment in as in EM which I knew was the case after serving 2 years EMS. Geographically where I am (Louisiana), we hardly see any hospital opening new residency shops over here nor does it seem like out-of-state ER doctors enjoy being here for whatever reason (malpractice, acuity, pph, etc). Business-wise it's looking okay, but future-wise: the fearmongering here is unbelievable. It reminds me of when I held hundreds of Facebook stocks back when everyone said Facebook was the next Myspace; I saw through the paranoia. It pays ignoring that, literally and figuratively, and it will pay too to ignore the people saying ER Docs will replaced by midlevels, AI, etc. I do notice a bubble based on some docs that do locums and struggling to negotiate and shorting EM at this peak is definitely wise. Yet ultimately, I don't expect the ridiculous pay that you attendings are getting, but I don't expect suffering the same fate that currently Pathologists, Nephrologists, and soon Radiologists will face. EM definitely needs to correct but in the future, it seems very relevant in admitting patients of the previous generation.

Last edited:
No doubt in my mind that I'm going into EM. Going into 4th year and there is hardly any other specialty (IM, PMR) that I found the same enjoyment in as in EM which I knew was the case after serving 2 years EMS. Geographically where I am (Louisiana), we hardly see any hospital opening new residency and out-of-state ER doctors don't enjoy being here for whatever reason (malpractice, acuity, pph, etc). Business-wise it's look okay, but future-wise: the fearmongering here is unbelievable. It reminds me of when I held hundreds of Facebook stocks back when everyone said Facebook was the next Myspace. That's not true and it pays ignoring that, literally and figuratively, and it will pay too to ignore the people saying ER Docs will replaced. Time will tell but shorting EM is definitely wise, I don't expect the pay that you attendings are getting, but I don't expect suffering the same fate that currently Pathologists, Nephrologists, and soon Radiologists will be getting.
Oh, sorry, misunderstanding. I'm not shorting EM.

I'm shorting signing up for one of these fake news cmg/hca training programs.

Sent from my SM-G928V using SDN mobile

No doubt in my mind that I'm going into EM. Going into 4th year and there is hardly any other specialty (IM, PMR) that I found the same enjoyment in as in EM which I knew was the case after serving 2 years EMS. Geographically where I am (Louisiana), we hardly see any hospital opening new residency shops over here nor does it seem like out-of-state ER doctors enjoy being here for whatever reason (malpractice, acuity, pph, etc). Business-wise it's looking okay, but future-wise: the fearmongering here is unbelievable. It reminds me of when I held hundreds of Facebook stocks back when everyone said Facebook was the next Myspace; I saw through the paranoia. It pays ignoring that, literally and figuratively, and it will pay too to ignore the people saying ER Docs will replaced by midlevels, AI, etc. I do notice a bubble based on some docs that do locums and struggling to negotiate and shorting EM at this peak is definitely wise. Yet ultimately, I don't expect the ridiculous pay that you attendings are getting, but I don't expect suffering the same fate that currently Pathologists, Nephrologists, and soon Radiologists will face. EM definitely needs to correct but in the future, it seems very relevant in admitting patients of the previous generation.
Hundreds of Facebook stocks? I'd stop right there. I couldn't afford even one. Had you had that, you're rich.

Hundreds of Facebook stocks? I'd stop right there. I couldn't afford even one. Had you had that, you're rich.

Not enough to pay off debt and avoid going into residency or medicine in general unfortunately :c .

I also suffered losses too; Wall Street loves to give as well as take. I.e. held a truckload of Micron ($MU) playing the hype of DRAM being the leading part in the future of AI and then memory prices crashed.

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.
When I first saw your avatar, I thought it was the queen from Aliens 2. Now that I know what it is, all I'm left wondering is how that happened. Let me guess, he fell on it lol.

I think he was speaking of RFID tracking of patients, not physicians.

However, there are hospitals that use RFID tags on hospital badges to track duty work hours. As soon as you step on hospital property, it records your time.

I interviewed for an HCA job where they made the docs wear hospital badges (dog tags) tracking their every moment. Unsurprisingly they had like 7 openings and currently staffing the ED with mostly locums. It knew when you entered a patient room vs. sitting down at your desk vs. went to the bathroom and for how long.

Anyone remember the Beavis and Butthead Bathroom Break scene?

Last edited:
I interviewed for an HCA job where they made the docs where hospital badges (dog tags) tracking their every moment. Unsurprisingly they had like 7 openings and currently staffing the ED with mostly locums. It knew when you entered a patient room vs. sitting down at your desk vs. went to the bathroom and for how long.

Anyone remember the Beavis and Butthead Bathroom Break scene?
Why the **** anyone would take a job like this is beyond me. I'd rather work for $50 less an hour and work at a normal place. I bet this stuff is discoverable for medmal too.

"But doctor, this patient died of sepsis and you were only in the room for 15 minutes during their whole ED stay?!"

Terrifying.

Sent from my SM-G928V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
If they are tracking hand sanitizing with RFID, that is not for the patients. Wild.

The RFID is for tracking of staff/physician movements and trace times for trends. Hospitals have done this with nursing staff for many, many years. It can be used for good: hospitals can trace where backups occur and improve workflow for faster patient throughput, or to prove staff/MD went to the room when the patient or family says no one came in for the entire shift. Or bad: track movements of staff like Big Brother and see how long you spent on the toilet.

The hand hygiene tracking is a separate thing to appease Joint Commission who requires hospitals to have a hand hygiene tracking program. Some hospitals buy the software that tracks individual staff/physician use and some hospitals employ secret shoppers who stand there watching and writing down who is and is not cleaning their hands. Companies are making big bucks on the electronic hand hygiene surveillance systems right now. There is mixed data out there on their effectiveness.

I thought that you work for CMGs. Am I wrong?

That said, I agree with your post.

I would never work at a place that tracks your badge... sounds like a terrible culture and a nightmare in general. I bet you'd hear a lot of "well, I saw one test result is back and the physician didn't tell me the result yet of the fingerstick!!" "Look, it's been 15 minutes since they checked on me!" "you were actually only involved in 29 minutes of critical care for this patient when you billed 30", and not much of "wow, look how much time you had to spend on your shift at the phone/computer!"

Reactions: 1 users
Becker previously ranked this hospital ranked in the top 10 in the nation for fraud, I mean, overbilling and a google search for orange park medical center trauma leads to a glut of people saying this place shouldn’t be a trauma center.

Cool. I’m sure they’ll produce awesome ER docs.

Reactions: 6 users
Just throw your badge on the patient's bed table and then take a 60 min dump.

Becker previously ranked this hospital ranked in the top 10 in the nation for fraud, I mean, overbilling and a google search for orange park medical center trauma leads to a glut of people saying this place shouldn’t be a trauma center.

Cool. I’m sure they’ll produce awesome ER docs.

Not surprising at all for both being an HCA dumpster and for starting out the gate with 12 residents for a brand new program.

Is there any limit to how many residencies HCA will sponsor/support?

Hi everyone, wondering if there’s a list of all the CMG EM Residencies (HCA or otherwise).
I’ve been researching and found the HCA site that lists those, but not one compiled list for others. Just want to take note as I’m applying and going through interviews.

HCA
Oak Hills - FL
Brandon Regional - FL
Orange Park - FL
One of the Orlando ones - FL
Grand Strand - SC

USACS
UNLV

Possibly
Corpus Christi

There's way more but that was off top of my head.

USACS:

Allegheny General- PA
Doctor’s- Columbus- OH
UNLV- NV
St. Vincent’s Erie- PA
Ascension Genesis- MI
Franciscan Health- Olympia Fields, IL
Dell/Seaton- TX

American Physician Partners
Merit Health Wesley- MS

I understand new residencies popping up willy nilly is bad, but why does it matter it's sponsored by HCA or any other CMG? can't you just choose not to work with their hospital after. Aren't most EM docs working under a CMG now anyways?

I understand new residencies popping up willy nilly is bad, but why does it matter it's sponsored by HCA or any other CMG? can't you just choose not to work with their hospital after. Aren't most EM docs working under a CMG now anyways?

It matters for several reasons:

1. Training is likely inferior at an HCA hospital that isn't a Level I trauma center and staffed by EM docs who aren't really into academics

2. It is all about creating a glut of physicians to drive down future salaries of new grads

3. You are seen as cheap/free labor by the hospital who will try to take advantage of that

4. The CMGs will make you drink the poi....Kool-aid and fill your head with dreams of "physician ownership".

Reactions: 3 users
In fairness the USACS at UNLV has been there for 15 years, even back before it was EMP. It's the only Level I trauma center in the city with 20+ residencies, and sees over 100K patients/year with a dedicated peds area.

It's actually a proper academic residency, unlike the crappy one that United Hospital Services is forcing down our throats at a neighboring community hospital.

1. Training is likely inferior at an HCA hospital that isn't a Level I trauma center and staffed by EM docs who aren't really into academics

2. It is all about creating a glut of physicians to drive down future salaries of new grads

3. You are seen as cheap/free labor by the hospital who will try to take advantage of that

4. The CMGs will make you drink the poi....Kool-aid and fill your head with dreams of "physician ownership".

ahh okay. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure most EM residencies out there aren't at Level I trauma centers. Why does that matter? Just curious.

Last edited:
It depends on volume. We started with 12/year but we see 160,000 patients/year. We're hoping to expand to 18/year soon. (We're a not-for-profit hospital.)

Why?

PA:
Crozer - TeamHealth
Allegheny - USACS

NJ
Community hospital - envision (planned)
Capital Health - envision (planned)
Inspira Medical Center - teamhealth (planned)
Morristown Medical Center - envision
Newark Beth Israel - envision
Rowan - Teamhealth

If they're not AT a level 1 trauma center, then there's one nearby to rotate thru.
Not always.
There isn't much difference between level 1 and 2 honestly. There are a ton of Level 1s without EM residencies, and a ton of Level 2s with.
However, I want to remind everyone that you can comment on the situation (CMG residencies, poor training sites) without being slanderous.

Not always.
There isn't much difference between level 1 and 2 honestly.
Is that actually true? I looked up what the official difference is (its quite large) but I could also see places that have everything in place and COULD be a level 1 but choose not to so they don't get stuck with all of the local trauma.