-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread
Started by kraskadva
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Did anybody else NOT get that SOAP informational email that went out from the NRMP - I think - yesterday?
After I certified/submitted my ROL I got a confirmation email so I'm confused as to why I didn't get the SOAP info one...
After I certified/submitted my ROL I got a confirmation email so I'm confused as to why I didn't get the SOAP info one...
D
deleted645092
Mine showed up at 10pm. They can show up anytime.Did anybody else NOT get that SOAP informational email that went out from the NRMP - I think - yesterday?
After I certified/submitted my ROL I got a confirmation email so I'm confused as to why I didn't get the SOAP info one...
Granted, there were a bunch of Eras maintenance emails I never received so it’s a crapshoot.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Omg!! Cue the palpitations!!! (I certified day 1 but then changed things up a few days later, then had a late interview for a new program which I haven’t added yet but will, and I want to switch up the dreaded middle of my list yet again ugh).1 weeks till lists are final [emoji47]
Last edited:
Ack, I shared my #1 with a super-respected physician in the field I'm going into and their response was, "I fear you are going into research! Oh well, I have several days to try to turn you into a real clinician yet...". I thought I was choosing somewhere I'd get good clinical training as well as have research opportunities... Is this just them trying to get into my head and keep me local? 😵
I’ve had the same vibes from some faculty at my school. When I interviewed at more elite programs I actually did come away with the impression they were clinically weaker due to an absurd number of fellows. My #1 ended up being a program that has excellent clinical training and is a respected name, although it isn’t going to wow anyone in the ivory towers. But idgafAck, I shared my #1 with a super-respected physician in the field I'm going into and their response was, "I fear you are going into research! Oh well, I have several days to try to turn you into a real clinician yet...". I thought I was choosing somewhere I'd get good clinical training as well as have research opportunities... Is this just them trying to get into my head and keep me local? 😵
Ack, I shared my #1 with a super-respected physician in the field I'm going into and their response was, "I fear you are going into research! Oh well, I have several days to try to turn you into a real clinician yet...". I thought I was choosing somewhere I'd get good clinical training as well as have research opportunities... Is this just them trying to get into my head and keep me local? 😵
What fields are you guys talking about? I hear this a lot in the surgical world - more so because these top notch academic places tend to have more fellows which takes away cases from the residents. Does this impact non-surgical fields as much? I couldn't see this impacting most of the medicine fields... maybe the procedural ones?I’ve had the same vibes from some faculty at my school. When I interviewed at more elite programs I actually did come away with the impression they were clinically weaker due to an absurd number of fellows. My #1 ended up being a program that has excellent clinical training and is a respected name, although it isn’t going to wow anyone in the ivory towers. But idgaf
In rads there are some programs where fellows carry the brunt of the list and residents are just there to learn and go at their own pace. The result is graduates much less prepared for high volumes/paceWhat fields are you guys talking about? I hear this a lot in the surgical world - more so because these top notch academic places tend to have more fellows which takes away cases from the residents. Does this impact non-surgical fields as much? I couldn't see this impacting most of the medicine fields... maybe the procedural ones?
It definitely applies to IM subs that are procedural, such as cards and crit care. If you want to get tons of reps and there are fellows hanging over you, it can be a hassle.What fields are you guys talking about? I hear this a lot in the surgical world - more so because these top notch academic places tend to have more fellows which takes away cases from the residents. Does this impact non-surgical fields as much? I couldn't see this impacting most of the medicine fields... maybe the procedural ones?
I'm going into a peds subspecialty 😆. Definitely was not expecting programs to be this cutthroat but I just got offered a position outside of the match! I don't intend to take it but it's somewhere I don't want to burn bridges, so am working on composing as diplomatic a reply as possible.What fields are you guys talking about? I hear this a lot in the surgical world - more so because these top notch academic places tend to have more fellows which takes away cases from the residents. Does this impact non-surgical fields as much? I couldn't see this impacting most of the medicine fields... maybe the procedural ones?
D
deleted1062590
I’ve seen this a few times now. What does it mean to be offered a position outside of the match?I'm going into a peds subspecialty 😆. Definitely was not expecting programs to be this cutthroat but I just got offered a position outside of the match! I don't intend to take it but it's somewhere I don't want to burn bridges, so am working on composing as diplomatic a reply as possible.
Like, did you apply to this program through ERAS? I don’t understand.
Some programs use ERAS to accept applications but don’t use the match to fill positions. They are independent of each other. I accidentally applied to 2 like that, because they historically go through the match but decided this year not to. I didn’t interview with them though.I’ve seen this a few times now. What does it mean to be offered a position outside of the match?
Like, did you apply to this program through ERAS? I don’t understand.
D
deleted1062590
Interesting. I didn't apply to any programs like that (or at least none that I interviewed at/will rank). I mean screw the NRMP and their monetary exploitation of medical students, but are these non-NRMP programs historically successful in filling year-to-year? I know this probably seems ignorant, but it also seems shady/sketchy-- I.e. the most brilliant thing about the match is that it ~somewhat~ levels the playing field, and gives opportunities to those that otherwise wouldn't have them in certain scenarios.Some programs use ERAS to accept applications but don’t use the match to fill positions. They are independent of each other. I accidentally applied to 2 like that, because they historically go through the match but decided this year not to. I didn’t interview with them though.
Oh it usually is sketchy programs that do this. The 2 in my case that don’t even normally do that, are the worst in my state with horrible reputations (they’re 2 sites of the same parent health system). I only applied because I applied to 100% of IM programs in my state.Interesting. I didn't apply to any programs like that (or at least none that I interviewed at/will rank). I mean screw the NRMP and their monetary exploitation of medical students, but are these non-NRMP programs historically successful in filling year-to-year? I know this probably seems ignorant, but it also seems shady/sketchy-- I.e. the most brilliant thing about the match is that it ~somewhat~ levels the playing field, and gives opportunities to those that otherwise wouldn't have them in certain scenarios.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Still blows my mind how we're < 1 week from ROL deadline and some applicants still have no idea how the match works lol
This is a program that historically has successfully filled outside the match (but not every year). It puts applicants in a tough spot because you're essentially foregoing your shot at all other programs. I could see someone taking it if they hadn't gotten the other interviews they'd hoped for, etc. This is not a bad program, they've just run into some... organizational issues that have been exacerbated by COVID. But yeah, no thanks.Interesting. I didn't apply to any programs like that (or at least none that I interviewed at/will rank). I mean screw the NRMP and their monetary exploitation of medical students, but are these non-NRMP programs historically successful in filling year-to-year? I know this probably seems ignorant, but it also seems shady/sketchy-- I.e. the most brilliant thing about the match is that it ~somewhat~ levels the playing field, and gives opportunities to those that otherwise wouldn't have them in certain scenarios.
What do you think is a « safe » number of interviews for FM this year? Given all the crap that went down with the season?
Did everyone get an email or phone call from a program telling them that they were ranked high? I know these are typically lies but I did not get one of either. Wondering if I am abnormal here.
I
have gotten zero communication with any program since like January. And definitely nothing regarding rankDid everyone get an email or phone call from a program telling them that they were ranked high? I know these are typically lies but I did not get one of either. Wondering if I am abnormal here.
6-10? Depends on various factors, so hard to be more precious but that would be the ballpark I think.What do you think is a « safe » number of interviews for FM this year? Given all the crap that went down with the season?
Only from my home program, and I thought it would be the most awkward email I'd have to reply to...Did everyone get an email or phone call from a program telling them that they were ranked high? I know these are typically lies but I did not get one of either. Wondering if I am abnormal here.
Same. Nada.Did everyone get an email or phone call from a program telling them that they were ranked high? I know these are typically lies but I did not get one of either. Wondering if I am abnormal here.
Still blows my mind how we're < 1 week from ROL deadline and some applicants still have no idea how the match works lol
What do you mean?
I assumed they rank based on height...
Last edited:
Did everyone get an email or phone call from a program telling them that they were ranked high? I know these are typically lies but I did not get one of either. Wondering if I am abnormal here.
I did from a prelim year program. Which is great, except I'm really hoping to not need a prelim year (gas applicant).
Did everyone get an email or phone call from a program telling them that they were ranked high? I know these are typically lies but I did not get one of either. Wondering if I am abnormal here.
I got my first phone call today! Otherwise no emails or anything.
Did everyone get an email or phone call from a program telling them that they were ranked high? I know these are typically lies but I did not get one of either. Wondering if I am abnormal here.
Nah you’re good; I think this is the norm.
At least for rads, it seems to be only a few programs reaching out; most of which seem to be mid-upper & top tier places.
I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s mostly lies anyway.Did everyone get an email or phone call from a program telling them that they were ranked high? I know these are typically lies but I did not get one of either. Wondering if I am abnormal here.
D
deleted645092
Did everyone get an email or phone call from a program telling them that they were ranked high? I know these are typically lies but I did not get one of either. Wondering if I am abnormal here.
None of those. Just one saying they hope to find a competitive spot on my ranklist and another saying they were impressed and asking if I have anymore questions.
Ghosted by my #1 after sending my LOI, where I’m currently rotating at.
D
deleted645092
Not a fan of waking up to these “Get Ready For the SOAP” emails from ERAS.
What do you all know that I don’t?
What do you all know that I don’t?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't gotten a single ERAS email about SOAP, anyone else? lol
Also starting my IM SUB-I next month. Haven't used medical knowledge since September. Have been completely checked out mentally since interviews ended late Jan....this should be fun
Also starting my IM SUB-I next month. Haven't used medical knowledge since September. Have been completely checked out mentally since interviews ended late Jan....this should be fun
I haven't gotten a single ERAS email about SOAP, anyone else? lol
Also starting my IM SUB-I next month. Haven't used medical knowledge since September. Have been completely checked out mentally since interviews ended late Jan....this should be fun
I haven't either... Sent an email to the NRMP people this morning. Will update if I find anything out.
I’m so investigative and anxious I mastered SOAP preparation in M2 lolDamn these SOAP emails; I'm not prepared at all for SOAP if it becomes a reality. I'm honestly too lazy.
Anyone got an email for SOAP seminar? I tried to register but “reached maximum capacity”...seriously?
Don't they record this thing? Just watch it after.
Why on Earth are you doing a SUB-I after rank lists are in? Also, that sounds terrible I am on vaca mode till graduation.I haven't gotten a single ERAS email about SOAP, anyone else? lol
Also starting my IM SUB-I next month. Haven't used medical knowledge since September. Have been completely checked out mentally since interviews ended late Jan....this should be fun
D
deleted697308
really hope my top choice doesn't do post iv comm lol. let me keep the hope alive till march 19
Last edited by a moderator:
I also start a Sub-I Monday. It’s my last rotation and it wasn’t my dream to be doing 1 so late. However, I was trying everything to get their attention to trigger a review of my residency app and it worked. I would have done one sooner but when they were available I wasn’t and vice versa so here we are.Why on Earth are you doing a SUB-I after rank lists are in? Also, that sounds terrible I am on vaca mode till graduation.
The only rotation I could find that was taking students to fulfill my graduation requirement...yeah I ain't happy about it lolWhy on Earth are you doing a SUB-I after rank lists are in? Also, that sounds terrible I am on vaca mode till graduation.
(Cries in DO)
D
deleted697308
It's okay. My sub-i is next month then my EM clerkship. Sigh. 🙁The only rotation I could find that was taking students to fulfill my graduation requirement...yeah I ain't happy about it lol
(Cries in DO)
If you haven't gotten a SOAP email from the NRMP, check your spam folder. If nothing there, log into NRMP and check your email address. When you certify your list, you should get a confirmatory email -- at least I assume so, as I get one for certifying the program list. If you don't, something is wrong somewhere.
Nada, certified my list multiple timesIf you haven't gotten a SOAP email from the NRMP, check your spam folder. If nothing there, log into NRMP and check your email address. When you certify your list, you should get a confirmatory email -- at least I assume so, as I get one for certifying the program list. If you don't, something is wrong somewhere.
I get an email each time I change my list and re-certify (gotta stop doing this...)Nada, certified my list multiple times
I got a confirmation of certified ROL email, but nothing about SOAPI get an email each time I change my list and re-certify (gotta stop doing this...)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've gotten a phone call and 4 emails, unfortunately 3 of them are *very* malignant programs I shouldn't have interviewed at, and they usually SOAP every year. So yeah.Did everyone get an email or phone call from a program telling them that they were ranked high? I know these are typically lies but I did not get one of either. Wondering if I am abnormal here.
So I had the same problem, and realized the email is from AAMC, which I have unsubbed from them years ago.I got a confirmation of certified ROL email, but nothing about SOAP
NOT the NRMP
😂😂😂 prepare for the worst, hope for the best.Not a fan of waking up to these “Get Ready For the SOAP” emails from ERAS.
What do you all know that I don’t?
that said I will be at the SOAP seminar they’re hosting on March 8th. Something tells me I’ll need it.
hahah good to see I’m not alone man!All else equal I'd rather have 4 weeks vacation than 3 haha. I knocked a program down a bit for that actually.
I am paranoid that I didn't do it correctly with certifying my ROL. It shows Certified, Paid, and Verified, all in green in NRMP. Is there anything else that I need to do? I have this recurring nightmare that I thought I certified my list but I didn't and I ended up with the Not Match email.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 538