MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

Started by kraskadva
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am paranoid that I didn't do it correctly with certifying my ROL. It shows Certified, Paid, and Verified, all in green in NRMP. Is there anything else that I need to do? I have this recurring nightmare that I thought I certified my list but I didn't and I ended up with the Not Match email.
You’re not missing anything. Did you get the NRMP confirmation of your list email?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1614463933658.png


Is this all I should be seeing and I'm done?
 
One of my programs does "discovery rounds" which I'm not really familiar with. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of it? IM applicant here
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also how do you word things in a thank you email to a program that is not your number one but you are ranking high? (had an interview a few weeks back and have been dragging my feet)
 
Haha I spent like 12 hours reordering 5-11 on my list today. Again. And I’m still not settled.
Did y’all not keep score during your interviews? I took notes about the factors I considered important and immediately after an interview gave the program a score out of 10 based on those factors + interview impression. I then set the paper aside, and didn’t look again until rank lists opened up. I put them in my rank list in descending order of the scores and I was immediately happy with it.

I haven’t looked at it since I made it and am only going in tonight to make sure I have all the NRMP codes correct.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did y’all not keep score during your interviews? I took notes about the factors I considered important and immediately after an interview gave the program a score out of 10 based on those factors + interview impression. I then set the paper aside, and didn’t look again until rank lists opened up. I put them in my rank list in descending order of the scores and I was immediately happy with it.

I haven’t looked at it since I made it and am only going in tonight to make sure I have all the NRMP codes correct.
For me it’s just what I’m valuing more changes on the day. It’s less so me questioning what each program actually has to offer, and me more so questioning what I personally value and why
 
Canadian here, applying for IM and rad onc in Canada. Virtual interviews starting next week for us and was wondering if yall had any specific tips or advice having gone through virtual interviews.
P.S. Rooting for you all on your match day! 💪
 
Is this from inside info? I heard they change up until the last minute
Some programs do, some don’t. I can say for certain that atleast a couple of mine made their lists basically the day after their last interviews. A couple said it during interview day, and one said it in an email inviting us to their second look, emphasizing that their list was already made and that attending or not wouldn’t affect their decision.
 
Did y’all not keep score during your interviews? I took notes about the factors I considered important and immediately after an interview gave the program a score out of 10 based on those factors + interview impression. I then set the paper aside, and didn’t look again until rank lists opened up. I put them in my rank list in descending order of the scores and I was immediately happy with it.

I haven’t looked at it since I made it and am only going in tonight to make sure I have all the NRMP codes correct.
For me it’s just what I’m valuing more changes on the day. It’s less so me questioning what each program actually has to offer, and me more so questioning what I personally value and why
This exactly. I had an extensive residency excel sheet with several columns of everything, filled out from everything before/during/after the interview I could possible get my hands on from every source imaginable. I had a running ROL I kept all season and added/reordered programs as soon as I got a new invite AND again when I completed the interview. The top 5 and bottom 5 are locked in, but the middle 6 I have struggled with shuffling because they have a myriad of pros and cons to weight against each other and it’s so hard. Hopefully I match top 5 and all of this extra scrutiny for the middle didn’t matter.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the best way to verify the NRMP codes? The way I did was looked on eras at each program I applied to that I am ranking then compared it to what was entered on my NRMP list... is this right? I know its a dumb question but damn the anxiety that I will somehow f up one code and ruin my shot is daunting.
 
What is the best way to verify the NRMP codes? The way I did was looked on eras at each program I applied to that I am ranking then compared it to what was entered on my NRMP list... is this right? I know its a dumb question but damn the anxiety that I will somehow f up one code and ruin my shot is daunting.
can't you just click on the name of the program? it shows you the PD and phone and email and address lol