MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

Started by kraskadva
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Canadian here, applying for IM and rad onc in Canada. Virtual interviews starting next week for us and was wondering if yall had any specific tips or advice having gone through virtual interviews.
P.S. Rooting for you all on your match day! 💪

Get a nice simple setup for lighting/background and just practice a few times. You get used to it pretty quickly.
 
Canadian here, applying for IM and rad onc in Canada. Virtual interviews starting next week for us and was wondering if yall had any specific tips or advice having gone through virtual interviews.
P.S. Rooting for you all on your match day! 💪
Make sure your background is clean, but you can have some fun things in the background for talking points! I had a bookshelf in the background that I got asked about.

May main tip is to hide your self view during interviews. Idk about you, but it’s basically impossible for me to not keep looking at myself to make sure I look okay or whatever. You want to try to maintain eye contact with your interviewer and if you’re constantly glancing away, they’ll know why!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone who understands how the match algorithm at the NRMP works explain why it takes 12 days for results to be ready? Guess my question is why couldn't we have match week next week? The timeframe just seems arbitrary to me
 
Can anyone who understands how the match algorithm at the NRMP works explain why it takes 12 days for results to be ready? Guess my question is why couldn't we have match week next week? The timeframe just seems arbitrary to me
I could be wrong, but from my understanding it involves running the algorithm several thousands of times and checking for statistical anomalies. Something about doing absolutely everything they can to ensure it is 100% correct.

With the sheer number of applicants and programs and possible combos of match lists, I can understand why it's such a massive undertaking.
 
I could be wrong, but from my understanding it involves running the algorithm several thousands of times and checking for statistical anomalies. Something about doing absolutely everything they can to ensure it is 100% correct.

With the sheer number of applicants and programs and possible combos of match lists, I can understand why it's such an undertaking.
I suppose that's fair, but ugh this sucks :arghh:
 
This question is often asked, and the NRMP has been very open about it. It's all about error reduction.

It's not the algorithm. That takes less than 2 seconds on a standard computer. There are entire threads where I go full-math-nerd on this topic. Let's not rehash that here.

What takes "so long" is making sure they get it right. That includes:

1. They check the uncertified lists. Invariably a bunch of people end up with uncertified lists. The NRMP reaches out to them to let them revert back to their last certified list. The NRMP wants the match to work, not to punish people who screw up and try to change their list at the last moment (although that's dumb and don't do that). This takes a few days.

2. They ensure that all applicants are certified by their medical schools. I expect there are a few outliers they have to chase down.

3. They need to deal with the other matches. Usually, CaRMS results after lists are certified and before the match -- and all whom match in CaRMS need to be removed from NRMP. This year CaRMS seems to happen after NRMP, so that's not an issue. Same with the mil match but that's very early.

4. They have to copy the data from their web based ranking system to where they do the match. This shouldn't take long tho.

5. They run the match. 2 seconds max.

6. They error check. Over and over. They probably go through every single person and make sure that they couldn't be any higher on their rank list. If so, they move them and then that cascades to a bunch of changes. Then they start all over again checking. Errors like this can creep in due to the couple's match.

7. Once that's done, then they start all over again. Probably 10K times. Each time they get to a final result, and compare to the last result, looking for the "best" solution.

The delay is all about error checking. They want it to be 1000% correct. The Urology match once released results that were all wrong. It was an absolute disaster, and almost led to the collapse of the separate Uro match.
 
This question is often asked, and the NRMP has been very open about it. It's all about error reduction.

It's not the algorithm. That takes less than 2 seconds on a standard computer. There are entire threads where I go full-math-nerd on this topic. Let's not rehash that here.

What takes "so long" is making sure they get it right. That includes:

1. They check the uncertified lists. Invariably a bunch of people end up with uncertified lists. The NRMP reaches out to them to let them revert back to their last certified list. The NRMP wants the match to work, not to punish people who screw up and try to change their list at the last moment (although that's dumb and don't do that). This takes a few days.

2. They ensure that all applicants are certified by their medical schools. I expect there are a few outliers they have to chase down.

3. They need to deal with the other matches. Usually, CaRMS results after lists are certified and before the match -- and all whom match in CaRMS need to be removed from NRMP. This year CaRMS seems to happen after NRMP, so that's not an issue. Same with the mil match but that's very early.

4. They have to copy the data from their web based ranking system to where they do the match. This shouldn't take long tho.

5. They run the match. 2 seconds max.

6. They error check. Over and over. They probably go through every single person and make sure that they couldn't be any higher on their rank list. If so, they move them and then that cascades to a bunch of changes. Then they start all over again checking. Errors like this can creep in due to the couple's match.

7. Once that's done, then they start all over again. Probably 10K times. Each time they get to a final result, and compare to the last result, looking for the "best" solution.

The delay is all about error checking. They want it to be 1000% correct. The Urology match once released results that were all wrong. It was an absolute disaster, and almost led to the collapse of the separate Uro match.

Thank you for this. I’m a lot less angsty towards them now cuz this makes a ton of sense!
 
Me waiting for the ROL deadline...
(What movie? Anyone?)
1614718475571.jpeg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sounds like how rounds should work for IM honestly lol.

Edit: holy smokes. A @libertyyne sighting. He liked that post 🙂
Rumors of my death have not been exaggerated.

What is the strategy surrounding Advanced programs vs prelims

So lets say you dont match Advanced, should you include your prelims at the end of the ROL to atleast get you a pgy1 position ? or should one just deal with the uncertainty of the SOAP? I suppose having the prelims at the end provides a bit of insurance, but also ties your hands when it comes to SOAPing into FM or IM considering you already have a PGY 1 position. So you would only qualify for SOAPing into advanced positions.

What are people doing about this? Anything I am overlooking here?
 
Idk if this is true, I read somewhere so just FYI if you don’t match either prelim/TY or advanced, and will not have to soap one of those, you can call NRMP help desk on Monday they can tell you the state you match prelim/TY or advanced, so you you try to soap same state.
 
Do you think programs will adhere to the new ABMS parental leave policy? Will there be any mechanism for enforcement?

I dropped a line to my #1 checking that the 6 weeks was guaranteed without delaying graduation...and they said no. I could use all my vacation and then schedule a "lighter" elective where I could do more telemedicine but wouldn't actually be on leave. Or I could delay my graduation by 6 weeks if I pushed for FMLA. I feel like I asked all the programs about being "family friendly" but clearly when you come down to the details there are very different definitions of what that entails...
 
Rumors of my death have not been exaggerated.

What is the strategy surrounding Advanced programs vs prelims

So lets say you dont match Advanced, should you include your prelims at the end of the ROL to atleast get you a pgy1 position ? or should one just deal with the uncertainty of the SOAP? I suppose having the prelims at the end provides a bit of insurance, but also ties your hands when it comes to SOAPing into FM or IM considering you already have a PGY 1 position. So you would only qualify for SOAPing into advanced positions.

What are people doing about this? Anything I am overlooking here?
One caveat is that entering the match is a binding contract. If you go this route and land a PGY-1 but not your advanced, you must attend that PGY-1 and juggle reapplying/interviewing during an intern year. Some people from my school who failed to match an advanced have preferred to take a research year instead and reapply for both.
 
One caveat is that entering the match is a binding contract. If you go this route and land a PGY-1 but not your advanced, you must attend that PGY-1 and juggle reapplying/interviewing during an intern year. Some people from my school who failed to match an advanced have preferred to take a research year instead and reapply for both.
my personal preference would be to have a job vs another year of being a student. I suppose my question is more along the lines of , for SOAP is it preferable to have a pgy 1 position already matched, or does it make more sense to keep that option open in case of soaping into specialties that do not have a Advanced, rather only categorical positions.

I would rather go into family practice than spend another year in medical student mode.
 
Do you think programs will adhere to the new ABMS parental leave policy? Will there be any mechanism for enforcement?

I dropped a line to my #1 checking that the 6 weeks was guaranteed without delaying graduation...and they said no. I could use all my vacation and then schedule a "lighter" elective where I could do more telemedicine but wouldn't actually be on leave. Or I could delay my graduation by 6 weeks if I pushed for FMLA. I feel like I asked all the programs about being "family friendly" but clearly when you come down to the details there are very different definitions of what that entails...

Eh I dunno. Parental leave in the USA in general is ****. It is doubly **** for medicine/residency. Unfortunately.
 
my personal preference would be to have a job vs another year of being a student. I suppose my question is more along the lines of , for SOAP is it preferable to have a pgy 1 position already matched, or does it make more sense to keep that option open in case of soaping into specialties that do not have a Advanced, rather only categorical positions.

I would rather go into family practice than spend another year in medical student mode.
I hate being a med student
 
my personal preference would be to have a job vs another year of being a student. I suppose my question is more along the lines of , for SOAP is it preferable to have a pgy 1 position already matched, or does it make more sense to keep that option open in case of soaping into specialties that do not have a Advanced, rather only categorical positions.

I would rather go into family practice than spend another year in medical student mode.
I opted to not rank any prelims for this reason. I want Gen surge, but I want to fight for a categorical in the soap before I have to cave for a prelim. I’m honestly still undecided with that. I may just jump ship if I don’t match and soap into something like FM, simply because matching categorical surgery after prelim is so incredibly low.
 
my personal preference would be to have a job vs another year of being a student. I suppose my question is more along the lines of , for SOAP is it preferable to have a pgy 1 position already matched, or does it make more sense to keep that option open in case of soaping into specialties that do not have a Advanced, rather only categorical positions.

I would rather go into family practice than spend another year in medical student mode.
Ranking your prelims at the end of your main list is based solely on what you want to do. Personally, I am ranking intern year programs because I will reapply for advanced position and R positions next year if I don't match (even potentially another advanced specialty.) That means I would rather have an intern year job in hand rather than chancing having to find one in the soap as well as an advanced position. I also want the year of credit for intern year so I don't have to start over completely if possible. I wouldn't want to delay my life for a research year either as I'm not applying to an Uber competitive specialty. I get why derm peeps do it.

If you don't want to do that and would prefer to SOAP a categorical position in another specialty (FM?) Instead of reapply during intern year for advanced then you obviously wouldn't want to rank prelims at the end of your rank list.

Only you can answer this.
 
Last edited:
Ranking your prelims at the end of your main list is based solely on what you want to do. Personally, I am ranking intern year programs because I will reapply for advanced position and R positions next year if I don't match (even potentially another advanced specialty.) That means I would rather have an intern year job in hand rather than chancing having to find one in the soap as well as an advanced position. I also want the year of credit for intern year so I don't have to start over completely if possible. I wouldn't want to delay my life for a research year either as I'm not applying to an Uber competitive specialty. I get why derm peeps do it.

If you don't want to do that and would prefer to SOAP a categorical position in another specialty (FM?) Instead of reapply during intern year for advanced then you obviously wouldn't want to rank prelims at the end of your rank list.

Only you can answer this.
I’m doing this as well. Could probably just stay to finish an FM/IM residency if I don’t match second time around.

But hey that ain’t happening to any of us!
 
Eh I dunno. Parental leave in the USA in general is ****. It is doubly **** for medicine/residency. Unfortunately.
It's an important question I got clarified during all of my interviews that definitely played into my rank list. My top 2 programs guarantee 12 weeks paternity/maternity leave per year without affecting graduation or vacation (will have some home assignments/ research). My bottom programs are what @Naruhodo described - no policy in place and will need to use vacation days.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are considering ranking prelims at the bottom of your list, I strongly recommend the following gem from @NotAProgDirector about GME funding.

 
Welp changed my list 2 times this morning and I think im finally happy with it. Gave myself a hard and fast rule of not changing anything today after noon just incase it randomly crashes on me mid edit lol, so now we move onto the next circle of hell - the waiting game lol

realistically ill be stoked at most of these programs, idk why im splitting hairs so much lol
 
Welp changed my list 2 times this morning and I think im finally happy with it. Gave myself a hard and fast rule of not changing anything today after noon just incase it randomly crashes on me mid edit lol, so now we move onto the next circle of hell - the waiting game lol

realistically ill be stoked at most of these programs, idk why im splitting hairs so much lol
The process forces us to get to the point where we split hairs every 10 minutes. For months. Ahhhh
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad