Coffee or no coffee during the MCAT - that is the question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raigon

This is an emergency.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Coffee boosts energy and I seriously lack energy and focus without coffee, but it makes you hyper and gives you the urge to urinate. And if I take too much, I tend to shake and lack concentration.

MCATs are about 2 months away though, so I don't have to worry yet, but just a question.

So do guys suggest coffee on the MCAT day? Dilute/Light Coffee? Or no coffee at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Remember that caffine will block the synthesis of ADH by the posterior pituitary leading to a decrease in kidney absorption volume therefor the water is going to travel through the loop of heanly and solutes are going to be absorbed and osmotic pressure and SODIUM POTASSIUM PUMPS AND NONCOMPETITIVE INHIBITORS AND ALLOSTERIC INTERACTIONS AND MITOCHONDRIA AND INCLINED PLANES AND SIMPLE HARMONIC MOTION AND LUTEIN AND AAMC MOMENTUM RATE ORGANIC PARAMAGNETIC ENZYMES CALCITONIN ACID T-CELL OMFG ATP

I'm going to go lay down for a while

Might be one of the funniest posts I've read in a while! :laugh: :) :D
It gets not 1, not 2, but 3 fantastic smilies!!!

I took a practice test the morning before, goofed around all afternoon, went out for dinner with some friends in the evening. read a paper and sipped on some coffee the morning of.... personally I think your state of mind is much more important than studying at that point... you might cram something in during those last 24 hours, but I'll take my chances going in relaxed and forgetting about studying....

My theory is that doing some heavy thinking before the test will make your mind more plastic during the test. Kinda like warming up an engine in the winter. Has been working wonders for me in the FLs.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's something about these energy drinks lol.
I've done about 10-12 VR tests before, and they were all around 8-10 ish, never above 10.
But for the past 2 times, I took a can of redbull before starting the VR, and the scores were 11 and 12 O_O
I think it helps you focus and therefore understand the passage better?

You may be onto something there, Czhang. Drank a can before each VR section in CBT 4 & 5 and I cranked out 12's in both!! Previous high was 10. Bought a 12-case yesterday LOL.

Curious thing tho: only sugar-free seems to work on me.

(Sorry about pulling up a 5 year old thread from the depths)

Anyway, i've been thinking about this for a very long time. I am a big coffee drinker, but haven't drank coffee before any of my tests so far. I have hit a plateau even though I feel like my content understanding has greatly increased. Im going to start using caffein during my test now. Just wondering if you guys have any input?

I've actually just decided that I'm going to take aamc 9 now (already took one this morning at 8am and reviewed it).

I've already drank 2 cups today and ran. I plan on drinking a sugar free red bull on my break before the VR section. I think it might be very beneficial because I always do very well on the VR, but I run out of time for the last to passages. I get only 2-3 qs wrong on the first 5 passages and then between the last two I avg like 6-8 wrong because i just skim the passages.

Down the rabbit hole again!

I was wondering if we could bring water or a bottle of something with us into the test

I think it is a "no."

But I kept a soda and a water bottle in the locker. One in case I started to "drift" in a section, the other for general hydration.

I also kept some trail mix and a couple of rice Krispy treats in the locker for snacks.

The 10 min break was enough to go pee, drink something and eat a little to keep up the blood sugar.

dsoz

On my 2nd break.

Just finished verbal. felt a little better than normal. Placebo effect?
My avg is a 10 on VR, high is an 11. If i get an 11 or 12, i will repeat this. if its a 9 or 10, failed experiment. I guess well see in 70mins! off to BS

Well that was a waste... Same EXACT score and section breakdown.

Conclusion: It does nothing substantial... Maybe gives you a confidence boost, but i would atone that to placebo affect

Caffeine is only going to help when you didnt sleep well the night before to be honest. Or if you take melatonin and you're groggy when you wake up...really helped me then.

Regardless of my sleep, nothing helped keep me focused during VR and BR like splitting a sugar-free Red Bull. Half before VR, half before BR. You have to experiment to find what works for you. I sound like a Red Bull shill, hahaha.