Cognitive Psych/Neuro PHD Aspirations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boredh12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all. I'm currently a high school student that aspires to a PHd in Cognitive Neuropsychology or Cog. Psych. However, factors I'm worried about:
A) PHD programs - Are they really that hard to get into? I saw the acceptance rates - prevalent stats were about 300 people apply, and only 30 get in. Is it really this cutthroat in comparison to undergraduate admissions at competitive universities?

B) Job Availability- How hard is it to find a job that earns at least $50000/yr? In addition, are there a lot of jobs available/emerging for these fields?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Acceptance rates to PhD programs for something like neuroscience will be <10%, some as low as 2-3%. A program is likely to get 80-100+ apps for 2-3 spots. You can definitely find a job for 50k or more.

Thank you. However, how is job availability? I'm worried aobut coming out of grad school with no job prospects.

Considering you're at least 10 years away from the degree, who knows what job prospects or the economy will be like once you graduate. Generally, if you get an advanced degree from a reputable institution, you're going to be able to find a job.

:thumbup: