cold feet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey everyone. So I was accepted into many great dental schools in December, but now have come to the realization that I was only pursuing dentistry for the oral & Maxillofacial specialty. I have respect for dentistry as a whole, but definitely do not see myself as a general dentist, endodontist, etc. Given the loan amount (400k) I want to make this decision as soon as possible. Classes start this August.

Also, I have decent healthcare experience as a CNA (1.5years). I have yet to take the MCAT. How will adcoms view my decision? Please let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

A quick change in career paths without a solid background in healthcare experiences might not look that good. Solid shadowing and clinical experiences will show that you somewhat understand the field and what you're getting into. Couple that with a solid MCAT/GPA and non clinical extracurricular and you'll be fine. Assuming you have a good GPA but as a person holding an acceptance to dental school, I'm sure that's not an issue.

P.S By healthcare experiences I mean those that allow you to see what Physicians actually do.

Reactions: 1 user
A quick change in career paths without a solid background in healthcare experiences might not look that good. Solid shadowing and clinical experiences will show that you somewhat understand the field and what you're getting into. Couple that with a solid MCAT/GPA and non clinical extracurricular and you'll be fine. Assuming you have a good GPA but as a person holding an acceptance to dental school, I'm sure that's not an issue.

P.S By healthcare experiences I mean those that allow you to see what Physicians actually do.
Thanks! I have 180 volunteering hours, researched in undergrad (1 poster presentation), and held leadership positions in college. I understand that this is not a chance me thread since I haven’t taken the MCAT yet. I have already taken a gap year, should I take another to boost my shadowing/ clinical exposure?

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well you'll have to take a year between now and the next cycle anyway. Trying to study now for an MCAT and making it this cycle is a recipe for disaster. Spend the next year getting the best MCAT score you can while taking on light weekly commitments in areas of weakness in your application. From what it sounds like you could use some Clinical and nonclinical volunteering.

Well you'll have to take a year between now and the next cycle anyway. Trying to study now for an MCAT and making it this cycle is a recipe for disaster. Spend the next year getting the best MCAT score you can while taking on light weekly commitments in areas of weakness in your application. From what it sounds like you could use some Clinical and nonclinical volunteering.
I made a mistake in my previous post, I meant to say 180 volunteering hours.

How do you know you want to be a doctor?

Sounds like you’re making a brash decision if you were thinking of switching from dental to med and apply this upcoming cycle without an MCAT score and no shadowing.

Definitely take the next year (gap) to explore the profession via shadowing and give yourself plenty of time to study for the MCAT. With solid EC’s I don’t think your previous pre-dental status should cause any problems.

Dental school is one of the best kept secrets out there. Unfortunately, pre-meds think med school is a better path, but it's not.

Dentistry offers good income, legitimate potential for private practice, and much better hours. Go with DDS. You will be better off in the end.

Reactions: 2 users
Dental school is one of the best kept secrets out there. Unfortunately, pre-meds think med school is a better path, but it's not.

Dentistry offers good income, legitimate potential for private practice, and much better hours. Go with DDS. You will be better off in the end.

He should shadow. There's much more to a job than hours and earning potential.

Shadow a physician. Do you like what they do better than dentists? Then go to Med school. You'll be well off either way.

Even with the loan debt, not including residency for omfs? My in-state med school is WAY cheaper.

Even with the loan debt, not including residency for omfs? My in-state med school is WAY cheaper.

The realities of practicing medicine have become progressively oppressive over the past 20 years. Dentists still have a good deal of autonomy. Importantly, dentists don't have the insurance hassles which make private practice almost impossible for MDs.

And OMFS isn't the only good specialty. Periodontics,endodontics,orthodontics are all good fields. So long as you like teeth.

He should shadow. There's much more to a job than hours and earning potential.

Typical pre-med response. In 20 years, you'll realize that being on call 24/7, operating at all hours of the night, etc, gets old.

Things have changed rapidly in the last decade. The market is becoming saturated, private equity is buying up practices, dentists are starting at absurdly low salaries (90-120k), school costs have skyrocketed and surpassed medicine (~350-500k).

Medicine has a lot of problems, but dental has a ton of it's own and the great career it once was will not be that way for 90% of the graduates coming out now. I would not recommend dental school to anyone right now.

Graduating Dental School 20-30 years ago would be one of the best choices you could make. In 2020 it's likely one of the worst.

Typical pre-med response. In 20 years, you'll realize that being on call 24/7, operating at all hours of the night, etc, gets old.

Bring on call call 24/7 and operating all hours of the night is a choice, not a guaranteed sentence of the profession.

What motivates you to go onto a pre-med forum and try to convince people that dental is the better career choice when in reality the ideal career changes from person to person.

Not once did I say to OP to do medicine, only to gain some experiences to make an informed decision.

Teeth and the mouth just doesn't interest me at all.