Collecting Recommendations??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalSonata

Friendly Pre-Med, PM me!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question...

Okay, let's say I shadow a doctor when I'm a sophomore in college. I'll want him to write me a recommendation for medical school. Do I..

1. Ask him right away.
2. Ask him when I'm doing my application.

If the answer is number 1 - how does that work? His info may change by the time I end up using it, plus the recommendation would be so general (not school specific) since I'm not applying yet.

If it's number 2 - how wil he remember me 2 years later to write it?

A little advice, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

shadow him again.. gets lots of hours under him. get him to like you. then ask. if not, all hes gunna write is "so and so shadowed me on <date> blah blah. he/she is a nice kid. signed, dr. bad recommendation"

If you see yourself havin a continuing relationship with him then wait. If not get the letter now so that you are still fresh in his mind. It's allways good to leave a few months for letters to get written, sometimes it takes awhile for doctors and professors to write and send them.

It's also worth noting that since you will most likely apply to more than one school your letters will not be school specific.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read posts that say doctor's LOR's really arent worth anything to an adcom committee. Does anyone have any insight on that?

I can't possibly see how they are any value. What upsets me though is that my state school actually recommends you get them.

Ask him/her right away. Store his/her letter on Interfolio. The guy/gal might not remember you well enough yrs later. Or, if s/he does, s/he could always upload an updated letter to Interfolio when you're actually applying.

I've read posts that say doctor's LOR's really arent worth anything to an adcom committee. Does anyone have any insight on that?

It was probably that LORs from doctors you have shadowed arent really worth anything. If you are working with a physician in a research position or on a project or something like that where you actually have some responsibility and are doing work (not just shadowing), then why wouldnt it have any value?

There are two times where they are helpful:

1 The ADCOM knows the doctor
2 The doctor knows you well. A good, personalized, letter of recomendation ALWAYS has value. Five letters from famous people who just wrote "M was always in class, got an A, asked good questions" are not going to be as valuable. Having a famous guy or two is great, but having well written, sincere letters is the whole point of the letters, not to see who can get the most well known signatures.

Ask him/her right away. Store his/her letter on Interfolio. The guy/gal might not remember you well enough yrs later. Or, if s/he does, s/he could always upload an updated letter to Interfolio when you're actually applying.

I have some questions about interfolio.

1) Do you get the writer to upload their letter to interfolio?

2) Is the letter then available to be forwarded to as many places as you want it to go?

Thanks.