College sports + med?

Hyoon

KStyle
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to many dual-admissions and guaranteed admissions programs in many colleges. I know they are looking for people who are set on becoming a doctor and not change their minds, someone who's really focused and zeroed in on becoming a doctor. I also played High School golf competitively and the application asks me on my level of interest in sports. I really, really love to play, but is it a bad thing to show that much level of interest outside of the field of medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

" is it a bad thing to show that much level of interest outside of the field of medicine?"

IMO, a big no. In fact, they most likely would be looking for people with interests outside of medicine (volunteering, hobbies, sports, music, employment, etc.). As long as you don't say in your essay something along the lines of "I'm really torn between medical school and pursuing my dream of being a professional golfer and just can't quite decide."

Once you're in college, as long as your grades don't suffer, college sports is actually a good thing to have on your application. I'm sure you have heard the whole "we are looking for well-rounded individuals" by now. I'm not 100% exactly sure how the guaranteed admission program would view it, but consider this...

bad grades = bad
bad grades with sports = bad

good grades = good
good grades with sports = good +++

Last edited:
bad grades = bad
bad grades with sports = bad

good grades = good
good grades with sports = good +++

Exactly.

If you know you can focus well doing sports and courses...and make good grades then that's great. Just don't let your college grades suffer because of it or you may end up paying for it in the end (literally.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly.

If you know you can focus well doing sports and courses...and make good grades then that's great. Just don't let your college grades suffer because of it or you may end up paying for it in the end (literally.)

Right. There's no such thing as 'guaranteed admissions'. Your admission to med school is part of a contract in which you have to hold up your end of the bargain, mainly keeping up a high level of academic scholarship in undergrad.

I am a division I track athlete, and I have been told that NCAA athletics looks great on application because it shows that you can juggle a heavy load.

I actually found my grades were the best during the season as compared to out of season

I am applying to many dual-admissions and guaranteed admissions programs in many colleges. I know they are looking for people who are set on becoming a doctor and not change their minds, someone who's really focused and zeroed in on becoming a doctor. I also played High School golf competitively and the application asks me on my level of interest in sports. I really, really love to play, but is it a bad thing to show that much level of interest outside of the field of medicine?

If you don't show interest in something other than medicine, that is a gigantic waving neon red flag that you are not a real human being. As a strange robot, you will have difficulty relating with the non-robot portion of your class, as well as the patients who tend to be fleshy manlings.

notveryl;dr - if you don't have outside interests, you're trying too hard, or perhaps stretching yourself so thin on the med school app requirements that you don't have time for hobbies. neither look good

It is great that you want to do collegiate sport, it only make you application better but many sure your grades doesnt drop from it

One med student in my class, actually played football for the University of Florida, he has the national championship ring to show for it. Go figure that he is now at FSU, the rivalry never ends :D