College Thesis and Study Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hugh2012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I was just wondering how important a thesis is for medical school? My father told me not to worry about it, but all my friends who went to top medical schools had a thesis. I am not very research oriented, but I was very lucky last summer and did some research at a lab and got a publication in a journal with an impact factor of 14/15 and don't feel any urge to further pursue any research further. I feel like a thesis won't help me since I am not research oriented and can't use it as a stepping stone to academic medicine because I don't want to go down that path so I think this is negligible for me. Any thoughts?

Also, were any of you able to study abroad your junior year spring and still apply to medical school that summer? I think this is more manageable with the old MCAT but with the new one I don't think I can fit it so I might give up study abroad so I can apply next summer prior to senior year. Anyone have thoughts on this? I would greatly appreciate it. I want to "study" abroad in Europe. I say "study" because everyone who I know who has studied abroad, except at a few places like Oxford or Cambridge, do not really study. My goal for study abroad is to immerse my self culturally and not worry about a hardcore academic semester.

Members don't see this ad.

I would highly recommend NOT trying to study for the MCAT while you're abroad. You will not study, trust me. But if you take the MCAT in December and then study abroad in the spring, that'd be ideal, and I don't see why you'd have any issues with that. Especially if you're going to Europe, since I imagine they finish classes around the same time that we do (May/June). You'd have plenty of time to fill out AMCAS once you got home.

@Lannister I am taking Biochem and Physics II in the Fall to finish my prereqs and I have a busy fall semester so I don't think I would be able to manage that courseload and activities with MCAT. If I am at my college during spring my courseload would be light such that I could study well for MCAT.

Ah, well do whatever you think will work best for you. Studying abroad is amazing but the MCAT is more important. Maybe you could study abroad next summer.