Color blindness and VA civilian residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmurfMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I matched last month into a VA civilian position in IM and went in today for part 1 of my required physical. Among the required physical abilities needed for the job was "able to distinguish basic colors." In everyday life I am able to distinguish individual colors just fine except for certain tones of blue-gray and green-brown. I have a history of failing the Ishihara test since childhood, hence it was no surprise that I failed it now. I had to file an accommodation for my "impairment/disability" with HR. Any idea if my position can be rejected because of this? What would happen if I don't get accommodated? Freaking out, here, the Match process was stressful enough!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I matched last month into a VA civilian position in IM and went in today for part 1 of my required physical. Among the required physical abilities needed for the job was "able to distinguish basic colors." In everyday life I am able to distinguish individual colors just fine except for certain tones of blue-gray and green-brown. I have a history of failing the Ishihara test since childhood, hence it was no surprise that I failed it now. I had to file an accommodation for my "impairment/disability" with HR. Any idea if my position can be rejected because of this? What would happen if I don't get accommodated? Freaking out, here, the Match process was stressful enough!

I can't see why this would be a reason to not get your training...

it should be a non-issue.

Thank you for your responses. I sure hope it's a not an issue. I will update everyone this Friday when I receive a response from HR.

This morning HR assured me my residency position was safe. They just need to figure out if there are any activities where I will need an extra layer of supervision. Other than that I am good to go! Hope this information helps others in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
for the record there was no way in hell your PD would have let the hospital deny them a resident over that

Our VA has a policy that none of us are allowed to do fecal occult blood tests b/c they assume we're all color blind without some kind of certification.

None of us mind. We just send the next BM to the lab :p