Colorado Countdown!!

Started by gdbaby
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
fishtacos said:
Anybody else waiting to hear from Colorado and not have a SO????

i can't imagine the difficulty in coordinating more then one person's next 4 years, but i'm feeling a little out numbered here.

Waiting, but don't have a SO ... anymore. However, she will be going to law school at DU, so that should make for some interesting/awkward/weird situations.
 
RxnMan said:
Oh, well, it was somebody or other who posts here.
So, do you think that they have already accepted/rejected/waitlisted you early interviewees and are just waiting until March 21 to tell you? I just can't imagine that they are going to go through all 500+ applications in one session on March 17th. Not to fuel the fire, but I don't see how they could do this all in one day. Unless they really are just going to shout out 500+ applicatin "scores" and Dr. Sondheimer sits at the end of a big boardroom table shouting "ACCEPT," "REJECT," "WAITLIST" to Sean as he feverishly places them into necessary piles.

I have a lot of free time today!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Starvin Marvin said:
Waiting, but don't have a SO ... anymore. However, she will be going to law school at DU, so that should make for some interesting/awkward/weird situations.
Especially since the DU Law School library is a popular study spot for the CUSOM
 
I'll join in...interviewed on the first day, Oct. 7th I think. Since then have been rejected from all other schools applied to, so this is my last hope. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear.
 
gdbaby said:
Especially since the DU Law School library is a popular study spot for the CUSOM

Wonderful, now that's something good to look forward to. 👎 Any reason why that is? (the study spot)
 
gdbaby said:
Especially since the DU Law School library is a popular study spot for the CUSOM
You don't to have a student pass to get in the DU Law library. I have friends at other law schools and you need an ID card to get in. I'm not sure how DU's Law library is, but every other one I have visited looks and was incredible. I only ask b/c I wasn't to impressed with the CU library and any alternatives would be better,
 
Asherlauph said:
GD, I'm rooting for you! Got my fingers crossed 'n everything!
Ha!! Thanks. I always envision you on 9News someday whenever we have a serial killer/rapist loose on the streets. You will be interviewed by Adell Arakawa to get us into the criminal mind!
 
lawj said:
I'll join in...interviewed on the first day, Oct. 7th I think. Since then have been rejected from all other schools applied to, so this is my last hope. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear.

I am unfortunately in the same boat and I do not want to go through the application process again.
 
MileHighCajn said:
You don't to have a student pass to get in the DU Law library. I have friends at other law schools and you need an ID card to get in. I'm not sure how DU's Law library is, but every other one I have visited looks and was incredible. I only ask b/c I wasn't to impressed with the CU library and any alternatives would be better,

I see, you read my mind.

By the way, I hear it's snowing up there (im in AZ). Man, what I wouldn't give to be on the slopes right now ....
 
MileHighCajn said:
You don't to have a student pass to get in the DU Law library. I have friends at other law schools and you need an ID card to get in. I'm not sure how DU's Law library is, but every other one I have visited looks and was incredible. I only ask b/c I wasn't to impressed with the CU library and any alternatives would be better,
DU's Law library is beautiful. But we can come up with many alternatives: Penn Street Perk is a favorite of mine; there's my house (8 blocks from campus); Tattered Cover. We have many options....
 
Not snowing in Denver yet. But March and April are our months to get dumped on--probably part of the reason why the med school stops interviewing at the beginning of march.
 
gdbaby said:
DU's Law library is beautiful. But we can come up with many alternatives: Penn Street Perk is a favorite of mine; there's my house (8 blocks from campus); Tattered Cover. We have many options....

I have an extremely low attention span, so I always find a quiet hole. I've tried coffee shops (I end up chatting with somebody endlessly about something nonessential) and book stores (oo many books I would rather be reading than studying), which aren't conducive to learning for me. I was hoping that DU law library would have lots of places to get lost in.
 
MileHighCajn said:
I have an extremely low attention span, so I always find a quiet hole.

Then my basement would work well, too. You would have an endless stream of Thomas the Tank Engine videos in the background for white noise and an occassional 2.5 year old who will request your presence at the train table, but other than that it is very quiet!

Sounds like hte DU library is the place for you.
 
gdbaby said:
So, do you think that they have already accepted/rejected/waitlisted you early interviewees and are just waiting until March 21 to tell you? I just can't imagine that they are going to go through all 500+ applications in one session on March 17th. Not to fuel the fire, but I don't see how they could do this all in one day. Unless they really are just going to shout out 500+ applicatin "scores" and Dr. Sondheimer sits at the end of a big boardroom table shouting "ACCEPT," "REJECT," "WAITLIST" to Sean as he feverishly places them into necessary piles.

I have a lot of free time today!
I know from experience that they send out rejections as they continue through the season - I was rejected early (w/o/interview) the first time I applied to CU. I expect that they have already ranked everyone who has interviewed via a spreadsheet or similar tool. On the 17th, they would assign, based on the rules they use to make their waitlist, the acceptances and rejections. (i.e. of the ~600 ranked interviewees, the top 140 get acceptances, next 30 get 1st third, the next 30 2nd third, next 30 3rd third, and the rest get rejections) They may spend the day proofing the list at the last minute, but I doubt if any major revisions are made. Some accounting for residency has to be made, but it's probably something like spearate OOS and IS spreadsheets. From there it's a simple cut & paste into email to send everyone their fates.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Starvin Marvin said:
I see, you read my mind.

By the way, I hear it's snowing up there (im in AZ). Man, what I wouldn't give to be on the slopes right now ....
Went to Copper last weekend and temp was good (30 - 40 F) but the snow was crap - icy in the morning and cane-sugar slushy in the afternoon.

This weekend I'm going x-country skiing, and with the new snow it should be great!
 
I had a question regarding the CU application status page. Do they actually update these? I doesn't list my reference letters, eventhough it says it will upload them once I am given an interview, and it still has the confirm interview button and date despite the fact that I already interviewed. I don't want to pester them to much, but I am curious why my application status hasn't been updated.
 
Western slope ski areas are getting dumped on. Powderhorn got 2 feet in the last two days (one foot last night). But the snow is on the western side of the divide it seems.
 
gdbaby said:
Ha!! Thanks. I always envision you on 9News someday whenever we have a serial killer/rapist loose on the streets. You will be interviewed by Adell Arakawa to get us into the criminal mind!
*grin*
Thanks for the association! 🙂 I know you'll be rooting for me, too, when I finally finish my BA!
After this semester, only two more years to go...

Edit: Wacky weather! I LOVE THIS CITY!!!
 
MileHighCajn said:
I had a question regarding the CU application status page. Do they actually update these? I doesn't list my reference letters, eventhough it says it will upload them once I am given an interview, and it still has the confirm interview button and date despite the fact that I already interviewed. I don't want to pester them to much, but I am curious why my application status hasn't been updated.

Hello MileHigh. Don't worry about the lack of status updates. I was fortunate enough to get accepted in December, and my status page doesn't list my reference letters either. I called Sean last November to inquire and he said that they just haven't had the time to keep it updated. Other things have been posted (last one as of today, so I know they are entering things), but it's sporadic.

Best of luck to you all!
 
gdbaby said:
On THE LAST DAY--March 3. The whole staff couldn't have been more giddy. Sean may have been drunk already, hard to say. I can't see your location info from this screen--where in CO are you from?

Hi GDbaby,
I'm from Monument but I go to college in California. I'm really hoping to get back to CO, but I guess we'll know that in about 10 days!!! 🙂
 
mlemed said:
Hi GDbaby,
I'm from Monument but I go to college in California. I'm really hoping to get back to CO, but I guess we'll know that in about 10 days!!! 🙂

Hey mlemed! I live in Palmer Lake - we're (or we were) neighbors. You didn't interview on December 9th did you?
 
mlemed said:
Hi GDbaby,
I'm from Monument but I go to college in California. I'm really hoping to get back to CO, but I guess we'll know that in about 10 days!!! 🙂
I did the Palmer Lake triathlon in 2002 during the drought--walked the whole swim course!! Glad to see things have turned around somewhat.

10!!!
 
medicalbound said:
Hey mlemed! I live in Palmer Lake - we're (or we were) neighbors. You didn't interview on December 9th did you?

Haha, that's awesome! No, I interviewed on Feb. 27th. Did you go to Lewis Palmer?
 
Starvin Marvin said:
Waiting, but don't have a SO ... anymore. However, she will be going to law school at DU, so that should make for some interesting/awkward/weird situations.

I'm also waiting, and don't have a SO... anymore. But he's going to Japan, which makes things much less akward.

I'm a bit bored, so I'm going to tell you what's on my mind:
-Adele Arakawa has it in her contract that nobody can touch her hair which is weird because feathered bangs went out of style a long time ago
-when I went to work this morning (at 5 am) it was nice and dry, and when I left work at 10 am, there were 6 in. of snow on the ground - woo, colorado weather!
-I want you all to be my classmates
-when I think about THE E-MAIL being in my inbox in 10 days, I feel like vomiting.
 
thefafo said:
I'm also waiting, and don't have a SO... anymore. But he's going to Japan, which makes things much less akward.

I'm a bit bored, so I'm going to tell you what's on my mind:
-Adele Arakawa has it in her contract that nobody can touch her hair which is weird because feathered bangs went out of style a long time ago
-when I went to work this morning (at 5 am) it was nice and dry, and when I left work at 10 am, there were 6 in. of snow on the ground - woo, colorado weather!
-I want you all to be my classmates
-when I think about THE E-MAIL being in my inbox in 10 days, I feel like vomiting.

Hey, in the event we both end up there, maybe we can work something out... 😉
 
thefafo said:
I'm also waiting, and don't have a SO... anymore. But he's going to Japan, which makes things much less akward.

I'm a bit bored, so I'm going to tell you what's on my mind:
-Adele Arakawa has it in her contract that nobody can touch her hair which is weird because feathered bangs went out of style a long time ago
-when I went to work this morning (at 5 am) it was nice and dry, and when I left work at 10 am, there were 6 in. of snow on the ground - woo, colorado weather!
-I want you all to be my classmates
-when I think about THE E-MAIL being in my inbox in 10 days, I feel like vomiting.
OMG!!! Adele's hair is one giant mullet!! I swear thatt news crew has the worst hair! Mornings: Gary and Kyle--Kyle, those bangs can stop bullets
Afternoons: Kim Christensen--Kim, Meg Ryan gave up on that hairsut 8 years ago.
Evenings: well we covered that, but let's not forget Kathy Sabine. Damn, that's some bad hair.

In all fairness, I will try to dig up a picture of my hair from my frosh year at Iowa. I look like El Debarge http://www.geocities.com/elwoodmusic/framepage.html -click on "EL" and look at pic under mini-bio.
 
I hope you don't mind me asking GD, but you're seriously a professor? I just can't imagine being classmates with professors and stuff. I always feel weird when I see my professors in their regular life on the town. I applaud your willingness to go back to school and be a poor student again.
 
medicalbound said:
Hello MileHigh. Don't worry about the lack of status updates. I was fortunate enough to get accepted in December, and my status page doesn't list my reference letters either. I called Sean last November to inquire and he said that they just haven't had the time to keep it updated. Other things have been posted (last one as of today, so I know they are entering things), but it's sporadic.

Best of luck to you all!
I have been trying to get my email updated, and I've been told that it's been recieved by the CU office, but nothing on my status page has changed since December.
 
It's really weird to see professors in regular life, kinda like with people on TV. I saw adele arakawa at king soopers once, and she was really short. I still think Kathy Sabine is pretty even if she does have big hair. I saw her once on the Today show filling in for al roker, and it threw my whole day off. I think it's weird when I see people from the MCAT class I teach - teaching your peers is hella more pressure than teaching people younger than you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious if anybody has been thinking about the amount of money CU has alloted for our personal lives. Not dipping into books/supplies, that leaves roughly $13,368 for 12 months or $1,114 a month. I was trying to figure out monthly bills/rent and I left with around $350 spending money (food/entertainment-if any). What happens when my car breaks down?
 
thefafo said:
It's really weird to see professors in regular life, kinda like with people on TV. I saw adele arakawa at king soopers once, and she was really short. I still think Kathy Sabine is pretty even if she does have big hair. I saw her once on the Today show filling in for al roker, and it threw my whole day off. I think it's weird when I see people from the MCAT class I teach - teaching your peers is hella more pressure than teaching people younger than you.

After seeing the behavior of some my fellow MCAT classmates last summer, I do not envy you. They were such pricks to the instructors, b/c they felt it necessary to establish their supremacy or something. There were several times when I think the instructor wanted to strangle a few of the students. Anyway, I'm not dissing your job, but I have sympathy for you if my class was any measure of student behavior.
 
thefafo said:
It's really weird to see professors in regular life, kinda like with people on TV. I saw adele arakawa at king soopers once, and she was really short. I still think Kathy Sabine is pretty even if she does have big hair. I saw her once on the Today show filling in for al roker, and it threw my whole day off. I think it's weird when I see people from the MCAT class I teach - teaching your peers is hella more pressure than teaching people younger than you.

kathy sabine: soooooo hot 😍
 
MileHighCajn said:
Just curious if anybody has been thinking about the amount of money CU has alloted for our personal lives. Not dipping into books/supplies, that leaves roughly $13,368 for 12 months or $1,114 a month. I was trying to figure out monthly bills/rent and I left with around $350 spending money (food/entertainment-if any). What happens when my car breaks down?
Most students live close to campus, so transportation isn't much of a problem, until you do your clinincal afternoons every week. I thought CU gave ~1300/mo for everything: rent, food, etc.
 
MileHighCajn said:
I hope you don't mind me asking GD, but you're seriously a professor? I just can't imagine being classmates with professors and stuff. I always feel weird when I see my professors in their regular life on the town. I applaud your willingness to go back to school and be a poor student again.
I am seriously a professor of Anthropology at CU Denver. Last summer I had one of my former O Chem classmates in my Intro to Cultural anth class. Weird. I have a feeling we will be in classes with people from a lot of former backgrounds.

As you can probably tell from my posts, I am very NON-professorial.
 
MileHighCajn said:
Just curious if anybody has been thinking about the amount of money CU has alloted for our personal lives. Not dipping into books/supplies, that leaves roughly $13,368 for 12 months or $1,114 a month. I was trying to figure out monthly bills/rent and I left with around $350 spending money (food/entertainment-if any). What happens when my car breaks down?
Take the #15 to the #40, the #12 will also drop you off at the hospitals. there are shuttles to and from Fitz and Children's so you will probably be okay for rotations. Or you can sell your car as "gently used."
 
gdbaby said:
Take the #15 to the #40, the #12 will also drop you off at the hospitals. there are shuttles to and from Fitz and Children's so you will probably be okay for rotations. Or you can sell your car as "gently used."
I use the #7 to get from downtown to Children's. The #15 is always a blast, espescially late on a Friday night. I prefer the #16L, which, right after I get on, the guys from the day-release program at the jail get on. Nothing like people talking about how they got busted with drugs and spitting on cops to wake you up in the morning!
 
MileHighCajn said:
After seeing the behavior of some my fellow MCAT classmates last summer, I do not envy you. They were such pricks to the instructors, b/c they felt it necessary to establish their supremacy or something. There were several times when I think the instructor wanted to strangle a few of the students. Anyway, I'm not dissing your job, but I have sympathy for you if my class was any measure of student behavior.

Thanks for the sympathy. I should have known how tough it would be because my class was the same way when I took it. Only one of my classes has the people who are trying to establish their supremacy, I really like teaching my other two classes. I haven't wanted to strangle anybody, but I do get really cranky anytime I teach that one class. Anywho, the last class I ever have to teach is Monday, woot!, and the rest of the time I just have to do office hours - which I don't think anybody will show up to because they already think they're better than me. hello god complex.
 
gdbaby said:
Congrats on getting in JayQuah. Indeed, you will be here for quite some time!

aww thanks baby. Hope you get to join me.
And while we're on the subject...is there a MR. gdbaby?? 😎
 
Bump. 9 days (8 if we're "lucky").

There is a Mr. gdbaby. He's a doctor too, but as his father says "you're the kind of doctor that doesn't help people." (PhD in anthropology). There is also a gdbaby, jr. as the avatar pic suggests.
 
The second-look/pre-orientation day is scheduled for Fri Apr 21. Hopefully you all will be present!
 
gdbaby said:
Bump. 9 days (8 if we're "lucky").

There is a Mr. gdbaby. He's a doctor too, but as his father says "you're the kind of doctor that doesn't help people." (PhD in anthropology). There is also a gdbaby, jr. as the avatar pic suggests.

Nice. Bet the kid is gonna grow up to be a prof too. 😀
 
JayQuah said:
Nice. Bet the kid is gonna grow up to be a prof too. 😀
Only if the discipline is a PhD in "Thomas the Train" or "Blue's Clues." Perhaps sharks as well. He does love sharks.

It's hard to believe that this Friday our fates will be decided. I feel like I should be allowed to go to the "boardroom" and argue my case for admittance ala "The Apprentice." But I wouldn't slam any of you.

Boy, I hope I here a "definitive" answer this time next week (i.e., acceptance or rejection--no second-tier waitlist). Iowa's second look/pre-orientation day is the same as Colorado's. I want to know where I will be visiting!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
gdbaby said:
Only if the discipline is a PhD in "Thomas the Train" or "Blue's Clues." Perhaps sharks as well. He does love sharks.

It's hard to believe that this Friday our fates will be decided. I feel like I should be allowed to go to the "boardroom" and argue my case for admittance ala "The Apprentice." But I wouldn't slam any of you.

Boy, I hope I here a "definitive" answer this time next week (i.e., acceptance or rejection--no second-tier waitlist). Iowa's second look/pre-orientation day is the same as Colorado's. I want to know where I will be visiting!

Bump. I just thought I would try to keep this thread alive.

I guess he is on the fast track towards PhD in marine biology. I always wanted to be a herpetologist, but my concept of them was a cross between a snake wrangler and Indian Jones. I guess you will have to wait and see. But fascination with things like sharks and snakes definitely sparks the interests into science.
 
gdbaby said:
Bump. 9 days (8 if we're "lucky").

There is a Mr. gdbaby. He's a doctor too, but as his father says "you're the kind of doctor that doesn't help people." (PhD in anthropology). There is also a gdbaby, jr. as the avatar pic suggests.
PhD = Poor, hungry, doctor
MD = Moneyed doctor
 
ShyRem said:
I thought PhD meant "Piles it higher and Deeper"
As I write my lecture on Marxist theory in Ethnography for this week's seminar, I feel your definition is most appropriate!!
 
uvce said:
PhD = Poor, hungry, doctor
MD = Moneyed doctor

My dad is a PhD and does well for himself financially. The key is to go into something you REALLY like and your performance will show in research/teaching. The better you are at research and in teaching helps in tenure track, which is almost PERMANENT.